• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (10 Viewers)

I wouldn't try and identify the Scaup conclusively either way from that photo. Very easy to end up with a misleading image. Personally I'd expect it to be the Lesser Scaup. Anyone with a link to anyone else's photos of it?

They ended the day at Chew per their daily sightings so I cannot imagine them doing two and a half hours back to Cornwall for the Whimbrel. (They will have been at the northern end rather than Herriotts bridge presumably despite the site given on their sightings.)

I was surprised to see them record 400 Razorbill at the Pacific Diver site but no Guillemot though that won't be an issue for them.

All the best

Ivory Gull still present in Germany this morning, as is a Greater Spotted Eagle an hour away (wintering individual). The Sibe Acc is a further four hour drive away. I see there are direct flights Manchester to Hamburg if they are tempted :)

Thanks also for the info on the Tawny Eagle and C. Yellowthroat earlier.

They are following the netfugl taxonomy, which I think mainly follows AERC taxonomy. However they use IGoTerra to upload their observations and they have a differing taxonomy and other english names. For example they've got Steppe Grey Shrike on their list as a full species, but netfugl doesn't.

BTW Rüppel's Weaver is finally in the list as #94

If they stick to their original itinerary, they'll visit Svalbard, I think Ivory Gull is possible there. However if they twitch the german one, there's virtually no need anymore for Svalbard (except for stunning scenery!)
They've already got Greater Spotted Eagle in Kuwait and aren't there still some Siberian Accentors wintering in Sweden? They could twitch one of those with their families ;)

Last edited:
Per yesterday's sightings -

http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/

The Hudsonian Whimbrel was still there (and seen) yesterday and the WeBS count indicates just the one Scaup species (Lesser, unless everyone's getting it wrong).

Guillemots, yes, the default auk sp. in the area usually, although they could have been 'auk sps' ;)

wrt the photo of the Lesser Scaup - of course a regularly diving bird with sleeked down feathers appears more round-headed than a resting bird - on that count at least I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Will their recording system recognise Hud Whimbrel as a species yet?

Last edited:
BTW Rüppel's Weaver is finally in the list as #94

Maffong

Many thanks and noted. I think that they ticked it at Green Island (which is where I would expect) as well as seeing it at Fintas Park further south on 4th January. Not checked to see if any other sightings of it added.

All the best

If they stick to their original itinerary, they'll visit Svalbard, I think Ivory Gull is possible there. However if they twitch the german one, there's virtually no need anymore for Svalbard (except for stunning scenery!)
They've already got Greater Spotted Eagle in Kuwait and aren't there still some Siberian Accentors wintering in Sweden? They could twitch one of those with their families ;)

Thanks, I missed the Eagle on their list.

I agree re Ivory Gull, best to get it now and leave Svalbard.From what I can remember, Ivory Gull hasn't been that easy to get around Longyearbyen recently, and I think this years record low sea ice around Svalbard won't help. Best to save a long journey and visit another area.

The Hudsonian Whimbrel is only 1 - 4 miles from the Pacific Diver(it moves) , but did they know of the Eastern Black Redstart only another 2 or 3 miles away???

Irregardless of tickability they should really have been getting that for their Western Europe effort ...

Dan - as the current record holder, did you meet with the guys for a poignant get-together at the Pacific Diver? You could have put them on the wrong bird to sabotage their attempt.
And yes, agree that Lesser Scaup can look weird in pics when they're actively feeding. So did Marten and co get the Hudbrel (does anyone call it that?).

Per yesterday's sightings -

http://www.cbwps.org.uk/cbwpsword/sightings/

The Hudsonian Whimbrel was still there (and seen) yesterday and the WeBS count indicates just the one Scaup species (Lesser, unless everyone's getting it wrong).

Guillemots, yes, the default auk sp. in the area usually, although they could have been 'auk sps' ;)

wrt the photo of the Lesser Scaup - of course a regularly diving bird with sleeked down feathers appears more round-headed than a resting bird - on that count at least I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

Will their recording system recognise Hud Whimbrel as a species yet?

First of all, this seems like a nice way to detox from the ABA Big Year! I've just finished reading this forum from the start; the strange event in the Ural pass was new to me, and fascinating.
I applaud Paul and Maffong for their attempts to set up a coded list. Some may not know that the ABA coded system was not, in fact, set up by the ABA, but put together by a committee formed by Jim Vardeman in preparation from his 1979 ABA Big Year, which, to my mind, was the first "modern" Big Year. My understanding is that Benton Basham was the main person who came up with the system.
Your work may have the same "legs!" With that in mind, I'd politely suggest to Paul that he change "category" to "code" as it was quite handy to compare "coded" birds (anything over a Code 2) when comparing different ABA Big Years. Also, it keeps the vernacular the same on both sides of the pond.
I'll likely be a lurker, but an interested lurker!

Joe

Dan - as the current record holder, did you meet with the guys for a poignant get-together at the Pacific Diver? You could have put them on the wrong bird to sabotage their attempt.
And yes, agree that Lesser Scaup can look weird in pics when they're actively feeding. So did Marten and co get the Hudbrel (does anyone call it that?).

Ha, I'm trying to pretend that I didn't do that thing a few years back ... plus I didn't go to Kuwait, and don't actually recall twitching anything outside of Cornwall in the UK, apart from a few geese? So it was a pretty feeble attempt really ;)

Hudbrel - anyone using that term should be 'removed' lol.

First of all, this seems like a nice way to detox from the ABA Big Year! I've just finished reading this forum from the start; the strange event in the Ural pass was new to me, and fascinating.
I applaud Paul and Maffong for their attempts to set up a coded list. Some may not know that the ABA coded system was not, in fact, set up by the ABA, but put together by a committee formed by Jim Vardeman in preparation from his 1979 ABA Big Year, which, to my mind, was the first "modern" Big Year. My understanding is that Benton Basham was the main person who came up with the system.
Your work may have the same "legs!" With that in mind, I'd politely suggest to Paul that he change "category" to "code" as it was quite handy to compare "coded" birds (anything over a Code 2) when comparing different ABA Big Years. Also, it keeps the vernacular the same on both sides of the pond.
I'll likely be a lurker, but an interested lurker!

Joe

Joe

An interesting insight and happy to use the Code terminology.

I think that the biggest flaw in my original approach was including a Code 4. Too subjective and not a reflection of the bird's status. Also only inaccessible for some as the attached link shows:-

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31821380

All the best

There are a few that are close to Fieldfare: Red Knot, Wood Sandpiper, Grey Wagtail, White-throated Dipper, Blackcap, both Treecreepers, (Great Grey Shrike,) Hooded Crow, Brambling, Bullfinch, Hawfinch, Yellowhammer. They've still got a lot of easy ones to clean up

Maffong

PS. Working on a "tendency" column for my codes at the moment, so that differences between Raso Lark and White-throated Kingfisher become more obvious ;)

So far at least 552 species have been observed in the WP and I'm awaiting records for 181 further code 1-3 species.

Maffong

There are a few that are close to Fieldfare: Red Knot, Wood Sandpiper, Grey Wagtail, White-throated Dipper, Blackcap, both Treecreepers, (Great Grey Shrike,) Hooded Crow, Brambling, Bullfinch, Hawfinch, Yellowhammer. They've still got a lot of easy ones to clean up
As well as Paul's note above, they also shouldn't waste time looking for Wood Sandpiper, Great Grey Shrike, Brambling, Hawfinch, or even Yellowhammer in Britain - they're all far commoner and easier in other parts of Europe that they'll also be visiting :t:

Can anyone think of a more obvious Code 1 miss for the UK leg than Fieldfare so far?

All the best

You should not forget that you don't see Fieldfare or treecreepers while staring at the sea or at a lake!! But as already someone said: they should waste no time in the woods or agricultural landscape in GB but should keep staring at water for the real good things...

It is a real privilege of the WP Big Yearers to do so compared to the worldwide attempts of Noah and Arjan (they were forced to hurry through many woods :) )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back