• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

Four additions today - http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/

Snow Goose, Red-breasted Goose, Middle Spotted Woodpecker & Blyth's Pipit

Only a matter of time before they grip me off with the stellar Dutch WP species of Bar-headed Goose, Black Swan & Alexandrine Parakeet - none of which I have seen countably though all of which I have seen uncountably in the UK........ :-C

All the best

Thought it was odd they didn't tick the Moustached Warbler close to the Blyth's Pipit, but checking their list, they already saw that species in Kuwait. May have been worth ticking the (presumably) western subspecies though?

Vinous-throated Parrotbill is a Cat C in the Netherlands?

Any of the felow Dutch Birders here can tell me since when please?

@Paul, you could go through a nice City Trip in Germany from Cologne to Stuttgart Ticking Black Swan Alexandrine Parakeet, Swan Goose and Yellow headed Parrot + around 100 Cat C Snow Geese.
In Addition to Mandarin Ducks Canada and Egyptian Geese and a couple of Bar-headed should be doable too.
Superb Trip with a lot of Quality species XD

@Paul, you could go through a nice City Trip in Germany from Cologne to Stuttgart Ticking Black Swan Alexandrine Parakeet, Swan Goose and Yellow headed Parrot + around 100 Cat C Snow Geese.
In Addition to Mandarin Ducks Canada and Egyptian Geese and a couple of Bar-headed should be doable too.
Superb Trip with a lot of Quality species XD

You can make it a very scenic trip if you stop of for wine and Rock Buntings in Ruedesheim (TEE Rheingold lässt Grüssen) along the way :)

They added several cat. C species while birding with Arjan that aren't shown on their list for whatever reason? Those are Blavk Swan, Bar-headed Goode, Mandarin Duck, Alexandrine Parakeet and Vinous-throated Parrotbill.

They refound the Baikal Teal today after 11 days of absence (according fb). Big congrats on that!!! And for me a much better species than all of the discussed cat C species...

The birds are known in Limburg since 1997 (according to Arnoud van den Berg), but I don't know since when they are countable in Cat C. The origin is unknown but it is likely that they were released by a bird seller who couldn't sell them (as asumed for the population in Italy). I have never known about the birds in Limburg, although I used to live very close to Limburg for 8 years!! Nevertheless now I live closer to the Italian Parrotbills!

They added several cat. C species while birding with Arjan that aren't shown on their list for whatever reason? Those are Blavk Swan, Bar-headed Goode, Mandarin Duck, Alexandrine Parakeet and Vinous-throated Parrotbill.

Noooooooooooooooooo........... Four bird species that I haven't seen (or more accurately three bird species that I have only seen in places where they are not considered tickable and one that I have never seen). :king:

I have never previously been aware of the Parrotbills in the Netherlands or any WP birders who had ticked them anywhere save for Italy but a check of the Netfugl rankings produces four who have done so in the Netherlands:-

http://www.netfugl.dk/ranking.php?id=wp&mode=hhhb&species_id=995

So sixteen species on me now (I think). :-C

It may shame me sufficiently to get on a ferry as Dortmundbirder suggests but I can't do so for a few weeks.

All the best

Last edited:
They added several cat. C species while birding with Arjan that aren't shown on their list for whatever reason?.

It's just that they haven't entered respectively uploaded the observations of today in I go Terra - just wait until tomorrow morning, Maffong, and you will presumably see them...

I used to live in Limburg.... but that was in the late 60's!
Is it just me or is this losing some credibility with these odd clearly not WP species being happily added to the list? Mind you I did the same in Hawaii a few years back - pots and kettles I spose....

I used to live in Limburg.... but that was in the late 60's!
Is it just me or is this losing some credibility with these odd clearly not WP species being happily added to the list? Mind you I did the same in Hawaii a few years back - pots and kettles I spose....

It's Pan-European listing I guess.

Presumably once the underlying database is amended, the Category C species will appear. Garganey and Baikal Teal also added but one appears to have been taken off. Anyone noticed which?

All the best

New write-up and updated species list, but still lacking those 5 species.
http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/igoterra-ticks/
They're heading to Israel next.

Also an almost finished and completely revised spreadsheet including both Pauls and my approach for coding (with mine improved and now mostly objective), including regions (as you asked for Paul), colouring for easier comparisons and commenty to all Cat. C species

Attachments

• Bird taxa of the WP.xlsx
    329.2 KB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back