• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

22 years of Birding (1 Viewer)

I do I was in the 2nd grade!

And I now know the month and year - June of 1997. Our friends called to ask a question about “the devils weed” today, so I asked when they visited. So 27 years.
In the UK the Winter of 62/63 was pretty brutal for much of the country. Maybe not as harsh as some places in the US but for the UK it was the coldest for a long while. Winter of 1962–1963 in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia
It was particularly hard on the birds with some species being nearly wiped out in the UK.

I was always interested in nature, even as a young child. I got a British racing green Raleigh bike for my eight birthday, 1960. We lived in Calgary, Alberta at the time and I would ride my bike to the park at the Elbow River (tributary) and sit on the banks in the arms (roots) of the trees. I would spend hours watching the life in the water. I remember seeing a Kingfisher fly into the water headfirst and was amazed. It was a few years before I knew what it was. I didn't buy my first field guide until 1999 though. It was a year before we started our circumnavigation. We bought a place out in the boonies in San Diego County and I started seeing birds I'd never noticed in Orange County. I bought the book to find out what a Spotted Towhee was. I bought the book in an antique store, an old Peterson's. I called the bird a Rufous-sided Towhee for several years! I really didn't start birding until we were on our way around the world by sailboat. It was pretty tough landing in a different avifauna area and having to learn what was there when I didn't know even the basics. Kept me sane though! I remember landing in Turkey and not having a field guide and not being able to find one. By then, I had joined BF and kept asking for help. Somebody said that when he went abroad to bird, he took a guide with him! I did get a pm from a Brit living in Turkey who offered me a guide. How sweet that was. I will once again, thank all my mentors here. I had a lot to process and so many of you helped me immensely.

My bird dairy begins on 17 Feb 1956. It briefly describes a walk in snow alongside the River Avon just to the east of Coventry. I flushed about a dozen snipe, which was a new bird for me. I was 14. A few months earlier we had moved from north Coventry to the east so new countryside had opened up for me. I think I had celebrated this by starting the dairy.
I have the exercise book in front of me and have been looking through it - the first time for decades. In July we had a holiday in Donaghadee, N Ireland. On one day my father and I went on a boat trip to the Copeland Islands and for the first time in my life I was confronted with the spectacle of large numbers of sea birds. The small boat ploughed through rafts of guillemots and razorbills, and gannets were diving all around us. When we arrived at Lightouse Island there were terns everywhere. I think the first I managed to identify were the roseates, followed by sandwich. The others were either arctic or common - the separation was beyond the capabilities of either the Observer's or BIrd Recognition. So my first tern was roseate, which I find amazing.
My main haunt for woodland birds was New Close Wood near Binley. It had nightingale, willow tit, wood warbler, and - one year - redstart and grasshopper warbler. I imagine they are long gone. For wetland birds I walked to a flooded area of the Avon where I found the common wildfowl. The one regular scarcity was a family of Bewick's swans. That area is now called Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve. Then I had to access it by trespass. Times have indeed changed.

I count my first 'proper' birding as when I first starting writing notes: 28 May 1979 Alton Water by bike at the age of 12. I guess not many 12 year-olds would be allowed to cycle the 6 or so miles without an adult now.
Sometimes it depends how carefully the adult has thought about the rules they place upon the child. I know someone who has told their child (10) they can cycle anywhere they don't have to use or cross a major road. What they haven't considered (and I haven't told them because in most ways they are over-protective) is that within a few hundred yards of their home is the Basingstoke Canal towpath which would allow the child to go 18 miles in one direction and a minimum of 10 the other - probably substantially more as that would put them into the fields and tracks of the Hampshire chalk.

I haven't told the child either. If they are smart enough to work it out they are smart enough to go exploring.

John

I’ll never forget that Winter Mike was 15 then, with the biggest (heaviest with distance) paper round at the newsagents.😩
Three months with the snow 8” deep, every morning of the week!
Not many cars on the roads in those days, so cycling through the snow was a trifle taxing with 20lbs round ye’r neck (30-40lbs at the weekend) 😮 (would breach health and safety today)….Ah yes remember it well…and the Blue Tits hammering the “Gold Tops”.👍
Still, it was better than going up those chimneys eh Ken?

That was the winter I was born - in BMH Singapore - not too chilly! We came home when I was ten months old, missed the 62/63 winter and never ticked any birds in the East.

I picked birding as a hobby when I went to university, so 18 years old. That would have been 1981. First twitch 31 December 1983 (Spoonbill, Red-breasted Goose and Ring-billed Gull, tick tick tick*). 43 years ago...... at least via notebooks I know where the time went!

John

* At one point I counted Spoonbill from August 1970 but I couldn't get it to exact day - it was on a Norfolk Broads boating holiday - and took it off, probably after seeing the December 83 one. ;)

Still, it was better than going up those chimneys eh Ken?

That was the winter I was born - in BMH Singapore - not too chilly! We came home when I was ten months old, missed the 62/63 winter and never ticked any birds in the East.

I picked birding as a hobby when I went to university, so 18 years old. That would have been 1981. First twitch 31 December 1983 (Spoonbill, Red-breasted Goose and Ring-billed Gull, tick tick tick*). 43 years ago...... at least via notebooks I know where the time went!

John

* At one point I counted Spoonbill from August 1970 but I couldn't get it to exact day - it was on a Norfolk Broads boating holiday - and took it off, probably after seeing the December 83 one. ;)

Damn right John!…8” of snow always preferable to 8” of soot.🤣

When I look back to that time, if the “delivery” conditions weren’t onerous enough, on Sundays with all the supplements included, both owners holding a handle each both sides of the bag, would struggle carrying it between them.
Then with a great heave, they’d haul the bag up onto my crossbar, with my feet tip-toed to the pavement…and wave me bon voyage!

You couldn’t make it up!..must have looked from behind, like someone riding a bike for the first time…on ice.😂

Just think, If you’d taken up birding at 13 you might have had the “Cheddar Gorgeous” on ye’r list.👍

Reading the accounts of the 62/63 winter made me feel like Noah listening to somedody moaning about the recent wet weather. I am old enough to just about remember the winter of 1947 which was as bad as 62/63 but with the additional discomfort of rationing, which included fuel. It was so desperate that my parents sent me (age 5) and my brother (age 12) out into the snow to push a wooden box on pram wheels about a mile to a sharp bend in the road. Here the fully laden coal lorries leaving the local coal mine would sometimes lose a few lumps of coal as they went round the bend. If they did we would run into the road and collect them. It was like something out of Dickens. I sometimes wonder if the lorry drivers, on seeing these waifs, deliberately swerved so as to lose a few lumps.

Reading the accounts of the 62/63 winter made me feel like Noah listening to somedody moaning about the recent wet weather. I am old enough to just about remember the winter of 1947 which was as bad as 62/63 but with the additional discomfort of rationing, which included fuel. It was so desperate that my parents sent me (age 5) and my brother (age 12) out into the snow to push a wooden box on pram wheels about a mile to a sharp bend in the road. Here the fully laden coal lorries leaving the local coal mine would sometimes lose a few lumps of coal as they went round the bend. If they did we would run into the road and collect them. It was like something out of Dickens. I sometimes wonder if the lorry drivers, on seeing these waifs, deliberately swerved so as to lose a few lumps.

I was 6months after that David thankfully, however rationing I do remember, at 18 months
getting an ORANGE in my Xmas stocking was hitting the jackpot! 👍

I count my first 'proper' birding as when I first starting writing notes: 28 May 1979 Alton Water by bike at the age of 12. I guess not many 12 year-olds would be allowed to cycle the 6 or so miles without an adult now.
I’ve just checked my first birding notebook- aged 13 I started cycling to Pennington Flash plus taking in Chat Moss. At least 18 mile round trip, mainly along a dual carriageway. I might have words with my Mam next time I see her.

I’ve just checked my first birding notebook- aged 13 I started cycling to Pennington Flash plus taking in Chat Moss. At least 18 mile round trip, mainly along a dual carriageway. I might have words with my Mam next time I see her.
My Mum told us we weren't allowed to cross major roads as well, that just meant we were careful about crossing them when nobody was looking.... Dad - absent due to divorce from when I was about six, access weekends only which brought its own social development problems to me and my brother - was keen that we should be obedient to Mum (bad luck) but his attitude was much more that of Commander Walker from Swallows and Amazons: "Better drowned than duffers if not duffers won't drown".

John

Sometimes it depends how carefully the adult has thought about the rules they place upon the child. I know someone who has told their child (10) they can cycle anywhere they don't have to use or cross a major road. What they haven't considered (and I haven't told them because in most ways they are over-protective) is that within a few hundred yards of their home is the Basingstoke Canal towpath which would allow the child to go 18 miles in one direction and a minimum of 10 the other - probably substantially more as that would put them into the fields and tracks of the Hampshire chalk.

I haven't told the child either. If they are smart enough to work it out they are smart enough to go exploring.

John
One of the few things that gave me (and my brother) the heebies about our cycling expeditions was the canal. We were well out of our home area, the Leeds-Liverpool canal is never inviting at the best of times and there was always, as occasionally happened, the possibility of meeting hostile kids/adults hanging around under the bridges.
It gave us a healthy knack for anticipating & avoiding trouble that kept us in good nick throughout the years.

What great thread!
I have never counted myself as a true birder, more of an interested party but, much of my early life was spent in the RN so birding was a whole different game, however, it was during that time that I remember noticing some small birds with wonderful yellow wing flashes and when I asked in the section what they were it was the Chief that told me, which surprised me no end. Later during that same career, I started walking to work therefor started noticing that there was life all around us and probably started taking an interest at that point, maybe mid 80's. I was extremely lucky to be sent to Oz for a few months in '88 and that definitely created greater interest for me. I remember trying to convince some locals that I'd heard a Galah talking (true of course) but, went on to state that if more were trained, then released, they'd all be chatting together up there in the trees after no time at all :unsure:;):ROFLMAO:
I think the purchase of my first digital camera around 2010 and living next to a pretty good wildlife pond in S Wales was the real start for me and, according to the good lady, I'm getting worse (better?) or more interested all the time.
I'm out for the great photo of the great bird, if possible.

What great thread!
I have never counted myself as a true birder, more of an interested party but, much of my early life was spent in the RN so birding was a whole different game, however, it was during that time that I remember noticing some small birds with wonderful yellow wing flashes and when I asked in the section what they were it was the Chief that told me, which surprised me no end. Later during that same career, I started walking to work therefor started noticing that there was life all around us and probably started taking an interest at that point, maybe mid 80's. I was extremely lucky to be sent to Oz for a few months in '88 and that definitely created greater interest for me. I remember trying to convince some locals that I'd heard a Galah talking (true of course) but, went on to state that if more were trained, then released, they'd all be chatting together up there in the trees after no time at all :unsure:;):ROFLMAO:
I think the purchase of my first digital camera around 2010 and living next to a pretty good wildlife pond in S Wales was the real start for me and, according to the good lady, I'm getting worse (better?) or more interested all the time.
I'm out for the great photo of the great bird, if possible.
I believe you did hear a Galah talking, because my husband, Gene, also had a strange encounter with the Galah. Our landfall in OZ was Bundaberg. A few months later we starting walking in the mornings with a group of other yachties from the marina. I had contracted Ross River Fever and for a few days, was unable to even go for a walk. My husband, Gene, still went with the group. One morning I get a knock on the hull and my neighbor announces that a wild Galah had sat on Gene's shoulder. "L" shaped ankles and all, I went up the hatch. Everybody was talking and laughing about the incident. Gene explained that during the walk, a Galah had landed nearby and he said, "Good morning, Mr. Galah. Why don't you come up on my hand and say hello." He put his hand down and the Galah got on it and climbed up his arm to sit on his shoulder. I suspected everybody was having a bit of fun at my expense, but soon realized they were not kidding. I grabbed my bins and despite the stiff ankles and pain, jumped on my pushy and took off to where the event took place. Once again, too late! Here is another photo of a wild bird joining my navigator. This was while we were underway from Egypt to Turkey.

Attachments

• kato 1.JPG
    kato 1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
I loved the winter of 62/63. Right in front of our house was a sledging hill. My Dad made me a small sledge out of electrical conduit. It was super fast and I was out on it almost every day. That hill became a sheet of ice about 4 inches thick😁

I grew up in the countryside, so was always surrounded by birds. Became interested in them aged 8/9 or so, based on a character in an Enid Blyton book, and got my first 'bird book' when I was 9 or 10. My first time on an actual nature reserve (as opposed to just being outdoors doing stuff with birds around me) was 30/10/2008: Baron's Haugh RSPB in Motherwell. I remember getting lost trying to find the train station to get home, as I'd reassured Mrs GS that I wouldn't need a lift. (not a mobile phone between us....)

Isn't that cool to have that notebook? .... I got into journalling when my kids were young and now journal on a daily basis as I toss in family, birding, photography etc.... Just a record of me.
I will be awesome in 20 years to look back as I will have 20 years of my life (actually more since I have been journal for awhile) right in front of me. jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back