• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was your best found “patch bird”this year? (1 Viewer)

KenM

With the year speeding to an end, time to reflect on one’s efforts and rewards (if any, some years can be tough) regarding “patch birding”.
Mine came in the shape of a male Dartford Warbler on March 14th (1.5 miles from home), totally off the radar and unexpected…expletives certainly filled the air as I “fumbled” for a shot with my camera.
Interestingly Spurn Point had its first two weeks later with Heligoland having Germany’s 5th around the same time, clearly a movement period.

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC01553.jpeg     DW2..jpeg
    DSC01553.jpeg DW2..jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
A flyover Little Ringed Plover which was new for the patch. A nocmigged Redshank came a close second, as it was a patch tick for me, though recorded twice previously by others (so a major gripback)

Your Darford, Ken, would have trumped the LRP on my patch. There was a Dartford only a couple of km from the patch boundary last winter where a little blob of suitable habitat exists, so it's vaguely on the radar.

Last edited:
Started patch birding last year, covering a 5 km radius from my home in the Dutch southwestern Delta. On the 9th of Oktober I found a Phylloscopus warbler at a local reserve. The first thing I thought was "Great, a Yellow-browed" and started taking some pictures. After looking on my screen something didn't seem quite right for that species. From that moment a lot happened and (long story short) it will hopefully be accepted as the 5th Two-barred warbler for the NL. Now in rotation at the CDNA...
Even if not accepted it for me shows the potential of patch birding, when eastern warblers show up barely 2 km from my house...79027486.jpg

Started patch birding last year, covering a 5 km radius from my home in the Dutch southwestern Delta. On the 9th of Oktober I found a Phylloscopus warbler at a local reserve. The first thing I thought was "Great, a Yellow-browed" and started taking some pictures. After looking on my screen something didn't seem quite right for that species. From that moment a lot happened and (long story short) it will hopefully be accepted as the 5th Two-barred warbler for the NL. Now in rotation at the CDNA...
Even if not accepted it for me shows the potential of patch birding, when eastern warblers show up barely 2 km from my house...View attachment 1550334
It’s clinching it with a shot Ribbon! that “puts the icing on the cake”👍

Probably a Goshawk. Other contenders (past years sure-fire winners) would have included Mediterranean Gull (now annual), Raven (now annual over the house let alone in the area), Firecrest (increasing summer breeder and regular winterer at my original local patch of Fleet Pond: a garden record cannot be long distant) and Great White Egret (probably now resident year-round, seen twice over the garden).

Goshawks are rumoured breeders locally but very sensibly kept quiet: I probably don't skywatch as much as I used to but I never saw many and this was my first local one for several years.

John

A Barn Owl on a snowless winter evening while I was returning home from the day's birding conducted elsewhere.

A 'gripback' is a 'blocker' unblocked (just asking)?
Yes and no. A grip back can be revenge (= catching up) on someone who has beaten you to the draw on a national/local/patch bird, wiping out the previous grip: or it can be another species that equals their previous jab into your vitals. So if your mate has nailed a GWE for the county and you get something he/she hasn't got like a Purple Heron, that could also be a grip back.

It's best kept on a humorous level but it isn't always!

Cheers

John

Yes and no. A grip back can be revenge (= catching up) on someone who has beaten you to the draw on a national/local/patch bird, wiping out the previous grip: or it can be another species that equals their previous jab into your vitals. So if your mate has nailed a GWE for the county and you get something he/she hasn't got like a Purple Heron, that could also be a grip back.

It's best kept on a humorous level but it isn't always!

Cheers

John

Living in the west London suburbs not many chances for anything majorly rare but in the last month found a Slavonian Grebe on the Thames on my WeBS count (not surprisingly only seen Little & Great Crested before) & Saturday an adult Med Gull on Ruislip Lido-my first for a site I visit regularly.

A recent visit to Staines had 2 each of Great Northern & Black-throated Divers. Though the former is a regular winter visitor there, the latter species isn't.

Last edited:
Living in the west London suburbs not many chances for anything majorly rare but in the last month found a Slavonian Grebe on the Thames on my WeBS count (not surprisingly only seen Little & Great Crested before) & Saturday an adult Med Gull on Ruislip Lido-my first for a site I visit regularly.

A recent visit to Staines had 2 each of Great Northern & Black-throated Divers. Though the former is a regular winter visitor there, the later species isn't.
My first ever Black-throated Diver was at Staines Res 😊 (late 70's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back