• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was your best found “patch bird”this year? (1 Viewer)

It’s been a good year on patch, finding red-throated pipit was probably best, melodious warbler, 3 Serin, 3 Richards pipits, 2 bee-eaters, Kumulien’s gull, night heron and golden oriole other highlights. Seawatching also good from patch, finding 10+ Wilson’s, 2 feas, barolo, scopoli’s etc.

Also rather frustratingly, I found squacco heron, Woodchat, alpine swift and hoopoe within a mile of my patch. SW Cornwall is very underwatched, I barely saw a birder on or near my patch all year.

I think 2024 will be quieter…
Having hit my patch pretty hard for the last few years without finding anything remotely of interest in comparison to any of those birds mentioned by Ryan1, I've almost given up on it ever happening, let alone all of that lot in single year! 😂

Having hit my patch pretty hard for the last few years without finding anything remotely of interest in comparison to any of those birds mentioned by Ryan1, I've almost given up on it ever happening, let alone all of that lot in single year! 😂
I've found about half of those, in GB, in my lifetime, and every one was within sight of a coastline (or on a boat)!

Not sure what "patch bird" is but I guessing that patch means you're regular walking (or biking) route? :unsure:

If so, my 2023 title of best patch bird goes to Great Grey Owl or Collared Dove. Cos GGO wasn't self founded I choose CD. Sadly I only have foto for Owl.
Yes Wari, walking or cycling for those that can.👍

Some spots are “hotter” than others Larry, the coast will always give you the “edge”, Beachy Head gave me that during the early ‘80’s.
On consecutive years- Pallid Swift, BeeEaters and Alpine Swift…ah yes! I remember it well.👍

Indeed
Some spots are “hotter” than others Larry, the coast will always give you the “edge”, Beachy Head gave me that during the early ‘80’s.
On consecutive years- Pallid Swift, BeeEaters and Alpine Swift…ah yes! I remember it well.👍
Indeed! My one consolation (in direct contrast to Ryan1 being non-plussed at finding a hatful of additional rare birds marginally outside his patch boundary) is that not only did I find nothing of that "quality" on patch, neither me nor anyone else found anything of note within 5 miles of it either!

You should be able to get the odd flyover pipit though (different species present in Britain than where I live, so hard for me to say in more detail). Do you do much birding by the ear, or record sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back