• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

$300 Porro suggestions please (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
I've got an itch to buy a decent porro for birding and a bit of stargazing. I have quite a few vintage porros that do pretty well, but I'm interested in something new, with modern coatings.

I'd like to keep it around $300-$350. Maybe something Amazon sells, so if I don't like it, I can return it right away with no hassles.

Any suggestions? And if you have some, please give me reasons.

More important for astronomy is a dark sky.

Your old Porros if clean will be very little different to a modern binocular.

My advice is to use what you already have.

Maybe use shade if observing from urban locations or seek out a nearby dark site.

Regards,
B.

It is a question of whether collecting binoculars or astronomy is important.

For astronomy, perhaps a 20x80 binocular for $300 might suit.
Try out several at the same place and buy the best one.

Whatever you buy, sample variation is considerable.

I used to hand hold a good 20x80 weighing 2.5kg for twenty minutes.

B.

Nice! That one should be excellent for astronomy.
I do like my Fujinon FMTR though. But the IF makes it less suited for birding.
At that price point I guess you are not opposed to getting a Made in China bin? Why not have a look at the US Oberwerk homepage?

Here is a nice pair of Nikon 10x42 SE's on eBay. These would probably be the best porro's you could get for the money for astronomy.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back