• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300mm lens for birds ? (3 Viewers)

The Tamron needs good light ie sunlight for good results. Rarely bother to use it on overcast days for moving bird shots. The autofocus seems to need a well contrasted subject else it struggles. The only exceptions seem to be white birds (swans etc) which seem to photograph better in a more muted light.

Hottentot said:
The Tamron needs good light ie sunlight for good results. Rarely bother to use it on overcast days for moving bird shots. The autofocus seems to need a well contrasted subject else it struggles. The only exceptions seem to be white birds (swans etc) which seem to photograph better in a more muted light.

Thanks H, so neither the Tamron or the Kenko tc gives great results in average light.

I've looked at the pics I took with the tc again, and they're maybe better than I first thought - I think I'll experiment with it again, using a manual mode and a higher f stop. (I'm sure all you experts out there will be thinking that it's a bit obvious, but I am a total beginner!).

Also, I don't take too many oving shots, so hopefuly it'll perform better on stiller subjects.

Still tempted by the Tamron though!

Hi

Have just joined the forum so accept my apologies for replying to an "old" thread,

Bonsaibirder: I also own the Pentax istD, I also have the Pentax 80-320mm which obviously equates to 120-470+mm on the D, although I have only just got into bird photography I have already found this lens too short, though this obviously depends on your shooting circumstances, you could probably pick one of these up relatively cheaply seconhand, failing that go for a Sigma, I wont start a debate on which is the better quality but you cant really go wrong with Sigma
I personally am considering the Sigma 135-400, but it may well have to wait till I get the new K10D paid for!

Sorry, one final note, as a serious photographer I would not reccomend using teleconverters. However, if the images are for your own personal enjoyment and you dont mind a loss of quality then try one.

You may also be interested in joining the Pentax User forum for more information and help http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/

Hi impotentspider,

In the end i bought a 75-300mm Pentax zoom lens. It is very light, easy to use, works with the autofocus and gives reasonable quality pictures. It certainly fits my brief of being able to take acceptable record shots at short notice. I realise that for more distant birds or higher quality pictures I may have to go for a more expensive lens.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.

Cheers,

impotentspider said:
Hi

Have just joined the forum so accept my apologies for replying to an "old" thread,

Bonsaibirder: I also own the Pentax istD, I also have the Pentax 80-320mm which obviously equates to 120-470+mm on the D, although I have only just got into bird photography I have already found this lens too short, though this obviously depends on your shooting circumstances, you could probably pick one of these up relatively cheaply seconhand, failing that go for a Sigma, I wont start a debate on which is the better quality but you cant really go wrong with Sigma
I personally am considering the Sigma 135-400, but it may well have to wait till I get the new K10D paid for!

Sorry, one final note, as a serious photographer I would not reccomend using teleconverters. However, if the images are for your own personal enjoyment and you dont mind a loss of quality then try one.

You may also be interested in joining the Pentax User forum for more information and help http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back