• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 days in Jakarta... Again. Any chance for green junglefowl near? (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

After spending in 2022 three days there, I will return this year and spend four. I have been birding at muara Angke, Monas, some gardens... So this time I'm thinking in a short trip to surroundings areas to try specially the green junglefowl.

Any idea where to go? Any Jakarta bird guide to lead me? Or any other idea in general?

Thanks!

I know this is pretty late, but Green Junglefowl has been reported recently (an immature female) from Ragunan Zoo, around the crocodile enclosure. That should work if you don't care much about the origin of the individual--which is most likely an escapee, though still possibilities of wild individuals that are sometimes reported around the riverine habitat.

For guide i recommend Desi Ayu Triana, which can be contacted through Jakarta Birder

thanks guys for sharing, I'm looking for a guide next month in Jakarta, will contact her for her availability.

Rare to extinct now, I think. But difficult to enter the main land part of muare angke currently; lottery to see by boat (we didn't)
Why is this?

I recall just walking through a housing development as far as the mangrove area and then climbing a lookout tower.

Why is this?

I recall just walking through a housing development as far as the mangrove area and then climbing a lookout tower.
We only saw from the boat but desi said they don't let you into the main part and the boardwalks are badly maintained. Basically you can go to the entrance and that's about it. Unfortunately I had no time to investigate on foot---am aware of the housing estate "entrance" (isn't this unofficial post-lockdown?) but don't know where it gets you now

Lovely location: so scenic. Great they're moving capital. So they can mess up borneo too

We only saw from the boat but desi said they don't let you into the main part and the boardwalks are badly maintained. Basically you can go to the entrance and that's about it. Unfortunately I had no time to investigate on foot---am aware of the housing estate "entrance" (isn't this unofficial post-lockdown?) but don't know where it gets you now

Lovely location: so scenic. Great they're moving capital. So they can mess up borneo too
Not heard this?

If I had 4 days in Jakarta, the last place I would spend it is in Jakarta and it's traffic. I'd probably fly to Manado and have 4 days in Tangkoko!

If I had 4 days in Jakarta, the last place I would spend it is in Jakarta and it's traffic. I'd probably fly to Manado and have 4 days in Tangkoko!
Well yes, but needs must. Having been there (Jakarta) only once I think it rates as one of the worst places I've been. Takes ages to get anywhere for one thing

Rare to extinct now, I think. But difficult to enter the main land part of muare angke currently; lottery to see by boat (we didn't)

Not amazingly rare, just getting hard to find in Jakarta. Massively understudied as well and still no survey to assess its current status. Still numerous in Surabaya and Yogyakarta coast, but birder rarely comes there.

Yep, the boardwalk is almost non-existent and they don't open it to visitors anymore--unless you want to be certain someone who break in and got blacklisted from the entire country. For now boat trip is the only chance for coucal in Jakarta

Not amazingly rare, just getting hard to find in Jakarta. Massively understudied as well and still no survey to assess its current status. Still numerous in Surabaya and Yogyakarta coast, but birder rarely comes there.

Yep, the boardwalk is almost non-existent and they don't open it to visitors anymore--unless you want to be certain someone who break in and got blacklisted from the entire country. For now boat trip is the only chance for coucal in Jakarta
Hi yes thanks. Realise it's not close to extinction in general (IUCN "vulnerable"); but isn't the population in Jakarta nearly gone? It's seen less and less frequently in Muara Angke now. The mynas are long gone from there too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back