• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40d Error 99 Problem.. Need Help Badly (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I took my 40D out today & within 15mins of shooting I got a message on the screen "ERR 99 SHOOTING IS NOT POSSIBLE, TURN POWER SWITCH TO OFF & ON AGAIN OR RE-INSTALL BATTERY". Tried that & nothing. I can compose the shot, use the menu everything, but as soon as I go to take the shot I get the above message. Now my 40D Is only 9months old so Is still In warranty. Can anyone tell me what the problem Is & If they have had the same problem & what you did to rectify It..

Many thanks.
Sean..

Sounds like it's knackered!

I had similar problems with mine - see this thread - everything looked fine until I pressed the shutter. Initially taking the battery out and waiting 20 mins cleared the error but not for long.

I'd be giving Canon a ring and follow their advice. Maybe try it with a different lens first and clean the electrical contacts between lens and body as they'll likely advise tying that first anyway.

Then look up a Canon repairer and cross your finger it wont take long. Mine was a new shutter assembly. I think they're used to this problem now.

hi Ianf, I got it from warehouse express & its still under warranty, so instead of fannying about with it, I will just send it back for repair of a new one.. It does seem to be a regular occurence this error 99. I find it hard to believe that after only 9months the shutter has gone. Its simply not good enough..

Thanks.
Sean.

I had the error 99 issue on my 20D tried the batteries tried the lenses even had it looked at could find nothing wrong, bought some new memory cards and stopped using 2 that were getting on and not had the error since, try using a different card and see how that goes.

hi Ianf, I got it from warehouse express & its still under warranty, so instead of fannying about with it, I will just send it back for repair of a new one.. It does seem to be a regular occurence this error 99. I find it hard to believe that after only 9months the shutter has gone. Its simply not good enough..

Thanks.
Sean.

You doing the right thing in contacting WE first actually as it's under 12 months old. Oddly enough that's where I got mine from as well.

i may be mistaken but ive seen somewhere that error 99 is used for all errors on canon so it cant be pinned down to one thing, so when people send them back to canon it takes a while for repair as they have to test the camera fully first to figure out the problem in the first place

sending it to whe first would be your best ( or quickest) option, hope its back soon a pain in the bum if you dont have a the luxury of a spare body

DS

It could be lots of things, bad card, dirty lens contacts, dirty battery contacts, software, shutter. I dont see how it is Warehouse Expresses fault, they will have more failures as they sell most, stands to reason. Get in touch with a Canon authorised repairer, such as Lehmanns, if its under warrant they will fix it. I had a couple of problems with various Canon bodies when in UK, I called them, made an appointment and took them there, they fixed them while i waited.

its unbelievable, Its not like we're talking about pennies either Is It.. Did you send yours back to WEX.

I was after a quick repair so I just contacted Canon and they told me to send it off to one of their authorised repairers. The first time it happened it took seven long weeks - the excuse being it wa a new model and parts hard to come by. The second time I contacted WE first but there was nothing they could do so I just contacted Canon again and then sent it off. At least that time it was just a couple of weeks. The shutter assembly was replaced both times.

With yours being under 12 months old you should really contact the vendor first but I think part of the WE conditions is that they'll only replace it/refund if the fault occurs in the first 30 days. Other than that it's a repair so the camera can be sent to them and they'll send it off for you else you can send it direct to a repairer yourself.

I sent mine to A.J. Johnstone. If I had any further problems I was going to try Lehmanns instead but I've heard they can take just as long and a friend had his camera returned from them with the fault not repaired and had to send it back a second time to get fixed - two lots of postage!

Canon themselves sound to be quick enough.

Stephen is right though Err99 can cover all sorts of problems and it may be different from mine - but the problem sounds remarkably similar.

Hi Sean

Mine lasted 2 weeks before the dreaded error 99 poped up, I took it back to Jessops got my money back after an argument & bought another from a different store & touch wood everything has been fine since.
It dose seem strange though that this is happening so often.

Got the same problem with mine over the last Week!! W/E will be gettin a phone call 1st thing!! The end of the day they're the vendor!! Looks like i'll be looking for a new body (after 7mnths of use 'Not happy at all' especially as this seems 2 av been a prob right from the start) Not a good advert at all 'maybe it's time they went for quality rather than quantity' wiv all these new models!!?

You know I typed In 40D ERROR 99 PROBLEM on ASK JEEVES search engine on the net & was surprised as to how many problems people have had with the error 99 problem, especially with the 40D. I mean lets be right here, we are talking about a camera that costs what, £500-£700 new for a body & you do not expect the camera to be knackered within 9 months of having It. Its not had that many pictures taken through It, Ive looked after It & all that, even used canons own batteries like they advise you to otherwise nothing can be done for you & the warranty Is void etc & what happens. I am not at all amused. You know It broke down this morning when I was photographing a Little Owl. I was gutted. The thing Is, If I send It to a repairers other than Canon or WEX, Im going to get charged for It & Its under warranty. First thing In the morning I am telephoning WEX & Canon. 9:00am on the dot..

Thanks for everyones Input, I appreciate It.

Sean..

If I send It to a repairers other than Canon or WEX, Im going to get charged for It & Its under warranty.
Sean..
No Sean, you will not be charged if you sent it to an authorised Canon repairer like 'Fixation' or any of the other half a dozen or so companies. You just tell them it is a warranty repair (send a copy of your invoice) and they will contact Canon and sort it out for you. I had mine repaired free of charge by 'Fixation' even though it was out of warranty. Best of luck.

hi guys, I contacted WEX today & I will be sending It back tomorrow & they have warned me It could take upto a month. So looks like I shall be using my powershot SX1 for a bit. I have also been thinking about buying a 2nd body. what are the 50D's like?

Thanks.
Sean..

Sorry to hear about your Error 99. I've just had the same problem. Got the camera back today with a new shutter. I've only had the camera for 10 months so, while it was still under guarantee, it doesn't say much for Canon's quality control does it? I'm fortunate I live in London near Fixation but it still took a week so I decided to buy a 50D and keep the 40D as a second body,perhaps permanently attached to a macro lens! It sounds like throwing good money after bad, really !
I think there are too many error 99 instances but Canon don't seem to care enough to sort it out. Some of them are minor things but there seems to be a fair amount of shutter failure within the guarantee period.The trouble is that most of us have invested in several lenses so we're stuffed really.
On the other hand there must be plenty of Canon cameras that function perfectly well so...yes, a 50D may be the answer.The cheapest reputable place seems to be Camera World which is where I've been today.
It's a real pain but at least you know you are not alone!
Rosemary

hi guys, I contacted WEX today & I will be sending It back tomorrow & they have warned me It could take upto a month. So looks like I shall be using my powershot SX1 for a bit. I have also been thinking about buying a 2nd body. what are the 50D's like?

Thanks.
Sean..

From what I've heard Sean, not much different, just a few more pixels.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back