• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 uncertain birds, REGUA, Brazil (RJ) (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
So as I said i the other topic, my wife bought me two nice books for South America, meaning that I was able to ID a whooping 30 new (and many old) species from my short stay in Rio without any help. Yet, there are some ... leftovers, so I am gonna be a little annoying on this forum in the coming days.

In this post, I present five birds where I sort of do have an idea, but I am unsure, whether I am right. All from the wonderful REGUA reserve about 100 km NE from Rio.

1. tropical or chalk-browed mockingbird?
2. blue-winged parrolets? (this is the only shot of the flock that shows an actual blue color in the wings, on other pictures, the sitting birds are just green, but there is no other parrolet in range anyway?)
3. versicoloured emerald?
4. southern beardless tyranulet?
5. now this is slightly embarassing, but this is a rufous hornero, right? I realized that here in Brazil, there are several possibly similar species, so even though I have maybe a hundred rufous horneros already in Argentina, I am not quite sure I can ID one without the help of range.

Attachments

• _1a.jpg
    _1a.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 27
  • _1b.jpg
    _1b.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 37
  • _1c.jpg
    _1c.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 29
  • _1d.jpg
    _1d.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 28
  • _1e.jpg
    _1e.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 32
#1 looks too strongly marked compared to the tropical m where I live.
I will leave the rest to others

Niels

1 - Chalk-browed
2 - Yes
3 - I think so.
4 - I think so.
5 - Rufous

Great, thanks! It is encouraging to see that my IDs on birds I have never seen (and horneros :)) are not complete rubish.

Thanks to Niels as well, I was thinking that the eye patch is too strong but then there was the light colour, but that is difficult to judge.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back