• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

66A follow up. Questions (1 Viewer)

Yippeekiay

For anyone purchasing the new Kowa 66A, or any of the new line, actually. Did yours come in a plain white box with 66a hand written on the side? No paperwork, no accessories. Just the scope in a bag, bubble wrap and a box.(?) Particularly concerned over the lack of a warranty card.
Also wondering about the focuser. There's a little play (maybe a mm) when engaging the coarse focus. I would think it'd be right there but I could be wrong. A little disconcerting for one of the best, read "expensive", scopes from a well established retailer.
Not all weird.. The view is pretty awesome!

Last edited:
For anyone purchasing the new Kowa 66A, or any of the new line, actually. Did yours come in a plain white box with 66a hand written on the side? No paperwork, no accessories. Just the scope in a bag, bubble wrap and a box.(?) Particularly concerned over the lack of a warranty card.
Also wondering about the focuser. There's a little play when engaging the coarse focus. A little disconcerting for one of the best, read "expensive", scopes from a well established retailer.
Not all weird.. The view is pretty awesome!
Sounds like a demo or display model. Check this out for Kowa 88a unboxing

Sounds like since I bought the scope without the eyepiece I don't get the first class treatment.
Plain white box.. No paperwork... No removable aiming device, lenses cloth.... Nothin'.
It was confirmed as new though so that's cool.
Didn't get an answer on the warranty but it sounds like its got a limited lifetime..
Onwards and upwards I suppose..

Also wondering about the focuser. There's a little play (maybe a mm) when engaging the coarse focus. I would think it'd be right there but I could be wrong. A little disconcerting for one of the best, read "expensive", scopes from a well established retailer.
My 883 of 2017 vintage also has a similar amount of play in the coarse focusser. If it's any comfort, nothing has changed over the years.
Congrats on the scope, btw. I think you'll be very happy with the 30x wide-angle, which offers a very good compromise of magnification and exit pupil for a 66 mm scope.

John

Sounds like since I bought the scope without the eyepiece I don't get the first class treatment.
This doesn't sound right to me. I agree with Scotty this could be a demo or display model so the dealer could have lost the box and everything in it. I have bought scopes from new from Swarovski, Nikon and Opticron in the UK. The eyepieces and the bodies all came in separate branded boxes with serial number stickers and instruction books. I don't see why Kowa should be any different. Did you talk to the dealer or Kowa ? Was it described as ex-demo/display ? If not you are entitled to "first class treatment". I would certainly talk to Kowa about the warranty issue, what the box should look like, and what should have been in it. Was this a bona fide Kowa dealer ?

Ditto Leica; all separate, branded boxes with paperwork for each item - eyepieces, body, SOC. Yours sounds a bit 'iffy' to me and well worth a phone call. For the money paid you deserve better.

RB

The retailer is a legitimate dealer for Kowa. I'll give them (Kowa) a call Monday to see if I can wrangle at least a warranty registration and removable aiming device.
Heading out now to enjoy some migration views.

My 883 of 2017 vintage also has a similar amount of play in the coarse focusser. If it's any comfort, nothing has changed over the years.
Congrats on the scope, btw. I think you'll be very happy with the 30x wide-angle, which offers a very good compromise of magnification and exit pupil for a 66 mm scope.

John
Same experience with mine.

My Opticron MM4 50ED arrived (from a well known and respected birder-centric retailer) wrapped in bubble wrap and a black plastic bag like it was some murder scene weapon that needed rid of.

I called them.

They sent the box and everything with profuse apologise.

yes, I got the work experience kid working on their own initiative.

Good to know about the play in the coarse focus as my 883 is the same. I was concerned that it may be faulty but it sounds as if mine is then so is everyone elses.

My 10 year old 774 was the same from new and has also never been an issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back