• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D does ISO 3200 (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Went out with my new macro lens today and shot auto ISO on the 7D. The attached shot was just one of several clean(ish) shots at the max ISO 3200. Just a little bit of selective noise reduction but well usable IMO. BTW this was 1/125 sec at f11 hand held.

Attachments

• The Cinnabar 1.jpg
    The Cinnabar 1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 319
Definitely usable, you can see the noise in the wing tips but that is a small sacrifice in comparison to the other settings your going to be able to change I guess.

The 7D does 3200 ISO easily, Ryan.

The attached isn't a bird, but it's 3200 ISO handheld at 600mm (400mm + 1.5x TC) in 1/50 light.

Converted in Capture One 6 too - nobody's idea of a great high ISO RAW converter...

Attachments

• TC_test_3A.jpg
    TC_test_3A.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
The 7D does 3200 ISO easily, Ryan.

The attached isn't a bird, but it's 3200 ISO handheld at 600mm (400mm + 1.5x TC) in 1/50 light.

Converted in Capture One 6 too - nobody's idea of a great high ISO RAW converter...
No mention of the mistake you made in post #2 then Keith ;)

Went out with my new macro lens today and shot auto ISO on the 7D. The attached shot was just one of several clean(ish) shots at the max ISO 3200. Just a little bit of selective noise reduction but well usable IMO. BTW this was 1/125 sec at f11 hand held.

I understand the ISO but you need to get 90 degrees to your Subject :-O

I understand the ISO but you need to get 90 degrees to your Subject :-O
This is a typical remark from someone that does not seem to know much about processing digital images. With most, if not all, photo software today you have an option to rotate the image. Sometimes by fixed amounts like 90 degrees, 180 degrees or Horizontal and vertical flip but also by arbitrary amounts. I do not use this for effect myself, preferring to present it as it was but do sometimes rotate a landscape a few degrees to straighten up the horizon. Using software like this is much easier than laying prone or trying to balance on your head :-O. Hope this helps :t::t::t:

This is a typical remark from someone that does not seem to know much about processing digital images. With most, if not all, photo software today you have an option to rotate the image. Sometimes by fixed amounts like 90 degrees, 180 degrees or Horizontal and vertical flip but also by arbitrary amounts. I do not use this for effect myself, preferring to present it as it was but do sometimes rotate a landscape a few degrees to straighten up the horizon. Using software like this is much easier than laying prone or trying to balance on your head :-O. Hope this helps :t::t::t:

LOL.. that's a very 2-dimensional response ;)

I am not talking about rotation, I am talking about lens 90 degrees to the subject so the tips of the wings are in focus as well as the head, something you pulled me up on a while back.

I am not talking about rotation, I am talking about lens 90 degrees to the subject so the tips of the wings are in focus as well as the head, something you pulled me up on a while back.

You mean parrallel to the focal plain ensuring maximum DOF and therefore rendering all parts of the subject sharp.

Do I go to the front of the class now ;)

Yes, 7D does good job at ISO3200 if well exposured (as close to right as possible). But even slight under exposure makes very noisy results. ISO1600 is better but still cannot withstand any underexposure.
As reference, 5D classic can do even -2EV underexposure at ISO1600 and IQ is still very good without loss of fine details.
I have them both.

This photo: 7D - ISO3200, 1/125s
http://tonskulus.kuvat.fi/kuvat/lintuja/Sarvip%F6ll%F6j%E4/asio2%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg/full

Last edited:
Yes, 7D does good job at ISO3200 if well exposured (as close to right as possible). But even slight under exposure makes very noisy results. ISO1600 is better but still cannot withstand any underexposure.
As reference, 5D classic can do even -2EV underexposure at ISO1600 and IQ is still very good without loss of fine details.
I have them both.

This photo: 7D - ISO3200, 1/125s
http://tonskulus.kuvat.fi/kuvat/lintuja/Sarvip%F6ll%F6j%E4/asio2%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg/full
I always shoot to the right (ETTR) not only do you reduce the risk of increasing noise if you have to push in processing but you also gain the best Dynamic range.
Of course you would expect a full frame Camera like the 5D to be better at noise than a 1.6 cropper but you would still be better trying to ETTR even on the full frame Camera. BTW, for Birds and action photography there is no way in the world I would exchange the 7D for the 5D classic or even the 5DII.

The fact that the 7D is 18mp on a APS-C CMOS sensor and yet it is better at high noise than the 40D is a remarkable achievement by Canon IMO.

Last edited:
No problem doing that with the 7D, converted and processed properly, especially once the files are equalised and compared at the image level.

The link gives a 404, Tony.

Weird, that link works to me.

I had also 40D and indeed 7D is better at high iso.
Anyway, 5D gives much better overall IQ when ISO1600 is underexposed and then corrected in PP. Maybe it is stupid comparing FF to a crop, but 5D is quite old body and it still produces extremely good IQ.. 5D raw files require less PP than 7D.

Anyways, 7D is one of the best for bird photography..especially compared to its price!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back