• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D2 BIF help needed (1 Viewer)

kneonlight

Hi

I have recently upgraded to a 7D2 and have to say I love it. Have managed some pics with it that I am really pleased with.
The only issues I am having are trying to maintain focus on birds in flight. I am really struggling to maintain focus on BIF when they fly in front of anything.
Any tips on the best settings, focus points etc to use for this type of photography?

Thanks in advance :)

From your flickr page it looks like you have had some success with BIF with sky as the background. Can you share the settings you are using for that and we might be able to make some suggestions.

What case are you using and what focus point configuration have you tried?

I think case 1 and single point with 4 expansion is a good start for BIF.

Although the British Way in 7d2 BIF is Case 2 with the tracking sensitivity turned down so as not to lose focus when a BIF passes obstacles in front of it.

Against the sky almost anything will work but below the horizon case 2 as above is king. (Americans have no Royal family....)

John

I use back button focussing which I found easy to use. If you set it up, don't forget to take the focussing option off the shutter button so that all that does is operate the shutter. If you forget to do this all sorts of focussing problems will rear up. Then, get the bird on the focussing point and hold the back button down. There are lots of help out there on this option.

Against a complex BG, centre + 4 does well. Here's an example.

Attachments

• bittern botaurus stellaris 13.jpg
    bittern botaurus stellaris 13.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 187
Against a complex BG, centre + 4 does well. Here's an example.

That is what I use. Success depends on species of bird which is I suppose obvious. A jinking all action bird e.g. Swift, Sand Martin is really tricky but a slo-mo' Grey Heron is a bit easier. Like most things, practice is the key. Practice on the difficult ones and the rest will be a walk in the park!

I use back button focussing which I found easy to use. If you set it up, don't forget to take the focussing option off the shutter button so that all that does is operate the shutter. If you forget to do this all sorts of focussing problems will rear up. Then, get the bird on the focussing point and hold the back button down. There are lots of help out there on this option.

Thanks. Gave back button focussing a try this morning but cannot find how to take the focussing off the shutter button?
Apart from this are there any other settings I should change if I am to use back button focussing?

Hit Menu button and using top ratchet go to the camera symbol which gives orange options. You want the third option (middle one) and then select custom controls. Two columns of button set ups are shown to the right of the camera outline. Go to top option on the left hand column and select that. The left of three options is metering and AF start so move away from that option and the AF is taken off the shutter button. Hope you can follow that.

Hit Menu button and using top ratchet go to the camera symbol which gives orange options. You want the third option (middle one) and then select custom controls. Two columns of button set ups are shown to the right of the camera outline. Go to top option on the left hand column and select that. The left of three options is metering and AF start so move away from that option and the AF is taken off the shutter button. Hope you can follow that.

Perfect - Thankyou very much, you have been incredibly helpful. Just need to get out into the field now and give it a go!

I don't think use of Back Button Focus is going to improve flight photography when you are trying to track a bird in flight. BBF might be helpful if you know where they are flying to and can shoot as the bird approaches.

I've used BBF for about 3 years now. I'm now testing out going back to shutter button focus for flight. Coordinating one finger during fast action should be easier than two and I want to try using the bump focus that Jim Neiger teaches.

I don't think use of Back Button Focus is going to improve flight photography when you are trying to track a bird in flight. BBF might be helpful if you know where they are flying to and can shoot as the bird approaches.

I've used BBF for about 3 years now. I'm now testing out going back to shutter button focus for flight. Coordinating one finger during fast action should be easier than two and I want to try using the bump focus that Jim Neiger teaches.

The only finger coordination needed is the shutter button finger as the finger on the back button is kept depressed while the focus point or preferably points is or are on the bif.

The only finger coordination needed is the shutter button finger as the finger on the back button is kept depressed while the focus point or preferably points is or are on the bif.

This is true for the technique of holding continuous focus.

However another technique used by some for BIF is to only press the focus button sparingly to keep the bird close to focus until you feel the time is right for photos. Some refer to this as "bump" focus because you only occasionally bump the focus button.

The thought being that if you try to keep continuous focus during a several second flight period it is easy to slip off focus and go to the background. Then you probably can't get back to focus on the bird by the time it has gone by. By just maintaining close enough focus by occasional bumps you may increase your odds of being ready for the shot you really want.

So back to the original poster, he gets decent BIF with sky background but not when shooting below the horizon. Possibly not trying to hold continuous focus for the entire flight would be helpful.

Doug

This is true for the technique of holding continuous focus.

However another technique used by some for BIF is to only press the focus button sparingly to keep the bird close to focus until you feel the time is right for photos. Some refer to this as "bump" focus because you only occasionally bump the focus button.

The thought being that if you try to keep continuous focus during a several second flight period it is easy to slip off focus and go to the background. Then you probably can't get back to focus on the bird by the time it has gone by. By just maintaining close enough focus by occasional bumps you may increase your odds of being ready for the shot you really want.

So back to the original poster, he gets decent BIF with sky background but not when shooting below the horizon. Possibly not trying to hold continuous focus for the entire flight would be helpful.

Doug

Re the continuous focus comment. If you go to the menu on AF 4th section 'lens drive when AF impossible'. change 'continuous focus search' 'on' to 'fpcus search off'. This will stop you loosing focus on a long flight period. It also stops, to a degree, the focus jumping off when a bird is in thick cover.

John

www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back