• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7DmkII half press for AF question (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have just got my hands on a secondhand 7DmkII and my initial impression is good, however one thing is troubling me and I am trying to work out if it is just the way it is or something odd on this camera. On other cameras (when not using back button focusing) if I half depress the shutter button it will AF and meter and then when I fully depress the button it will fire. With the 7DmkII the button is extremely sensitive and it is basically impossible to get it to AF and not shoot. I have been trawling through the settings in case this is an issue (but did a full reset when I got the camera so i assume it isn't that). Is this how they are or is this just an oddity of the one I have bought?

I have just got my hands on a secondhand 7DmkII and my initial impression is good, however one thing is troubling me and I am trying to work out if it is just the way it is or something odd on this camera. On other cameras (when not using back button focusing) if I half depress the shutter button it will AF and meter and then when I fully depress the button it will fire. With the 7DmkII the button is extremely sensitive and it is basically impossible to get it to AF and not shoot. I have been trawling through the settings in case this is an issue (but did a full reset when I got the camera so i assume it isn't that). Is this how they are or is this just an oddity of the one I have bought?
I've run two 7DIIs for some years and when I first started with them I would occasionally let one off by accident: but a half-press was perfectly achievable. Once I changed to back button focusing I never looked back so a half-press became a redundant manoeuvre.

John

I've run two 7DIIs for some years and when I first started with them I would occasionally let one off by accident: but a half-press was perfectly achievable. Once I changed to back button focusing I never looked back so a half-press became a redundant manoeuvre.

John
Thanks for the info. This confirmed for me that there was something not quite right with the one I had received so I decided to return it. They had another used one in the shop which I tried, this was much more as I expected so I have swapped to that one. Now to get out and try it properly.

I always use back button AF, I don't know how people shoot with the half shutter button way. After reading your post I tried it with my 7DII and it is also very hard to go half way without tripping the shutter. No worries for me, but maybe it's a common defect?

Never had a problem with any Canon body with half press sensitivity. However, like others, I use back button focus exclusively on any camera I own :)

I've got two 7Diis, don't use back button focus and never have the problem you describe. I think it may unfortunately be your particular camera...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back