• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 frustration. Swap? (3 Viewers)

LS have you tried the EII with the rubber cups removed ?

They come off and back on really easily and may give another mm relief when off.

Keeping it is the right choice IMO.

LS have you tried the EII with the rubber cups removed ?

They come off and back on really easily and may give another mm relief when off.

Keeping it is the right choice IMO.

Funny you should mention that because that's what I did yesterday evening.
Yes, it helps some, but I don't really like the feeling of the spectacles lenses being grinded by the metal ring.

I'm in the right place five days a week for finding a spectacle frame that might work pretty decent for me, so hoping this will be OK.
That pair will be used with the E II only, but that's no problem.

//L

Hi Lars,
Before having one eye "lasered", I used to wear specs while glassing. My prescription wasn´t terribly strong, so the lenses weren´t thick. A bit myopic in each eye, and astigmatic to boot. I could see the whole FOV using the EII 8x30 by wearing very small, round wire-framed specs, made by Algha of London (old secondhand National Health-type frames from the 1950´s, that I bought in a market in Camden Town!). Algha are still in operation, I bought a replacement pair some years back. My eye-sockets are deep, and the bridge of my nose is high (I like to think of it as "Roman";)), so not all roundy-specs will do.
The odd thing about EII binos is that even if you decide there´s a feature you don´t like, and sell them, they creep back into your consciousness and you begin to hanker after another pair after about six months. I think I´m on my fourth or fifth pair. Don´t sell them, they´re getting harder to find.

Hi Eanna,

I know about the Algha frames and have also ordered them for customers not so many years ago. About thirty years ago they became incredibly popular, and a couple of years later they were highest fashion in the social context I was part of. I think 80 percent of my spectacle-wearing friends used those or knock-offs :eek!:

I must say that they were very expensive when ordered as single items from the UK but I have to agree they have something that sets them apart.
But despite their great popularity, they were often (by people less knowledgeable in fashion styles) referred to as "Communist spectacles" since small, circular nickel-plated frames were popular among the alternative/independent/progressive/left wing movement that used to be quite strong in Sweden in the late sixties and seventies.

Anyhow, I found a snugly-fitting frame and ordered a pair to use with the E II's only. They will hopefully be good enough, but I would have preferred a frame that allows the lenses far into the eyesockets thanks to a wide separation between their inner edges and a distinctly curved nose-bridge.
The spectacles must also be adjusted so the lenses aren't inclined away from each other but form a straight line when viewed from above. It is also advisable to adjust the vertical inclination so the front surface of the lens not only touches the rubber in the upper part but also the lower.
Unfortunately these adjustments may cause some nausea but I'm prepared to fight against it.
The E II will stay, but may possibly get company by a M7 for cold, wet evenings.
I might even consider a Legacy WP 8x42 as a complement if the E II grows into regular use.

//L

Hi Eanna,

I know about the Algha frames and have also ordered them for customers not so many years ago. About thirty years ago they became incredibly popular, and a couple of years later they were highest fashion in the social context I was part of. I think 80 percent of my spectacle-wearing friends used those or knock-offs :eek!:

I must say that they were very expensive when ordered as single items from the UK but I have to agree they have something that sets them apart.
But despite their great popularity, they were often (by people less knowledgeable in fashion styles) referred to as "Communist spectacles" since small, circular nickel-plated frames were popular among the alternative/independent/progressive/left wing movement that used to be quite strong in Sweden in the late sixties and seventies.

//L

:-O! My original Alghas cost me six pounds in Camden Market. I still use them when reading, and have them on now while typing. They do have that certain intellectual/progressive/leftie caché, and go well with a copy of "The Brothers Karamazov", or anything by Sartre. Alternatively, Alghas with a goatee beard and moustache would suggest Freud, or with the little brown plastic rim-covers, Joyce. Proust, perhaps, but let´s face it, few can convincingly pretend to have read more than the first line of "A la recherche". I checked on ebay, and there are loads of them for sale at knock-down prices. The history of the company is interesting - the manufacturer escaped Nazi persecution and set up shop in London. Alghas and EII´s combined imply a niche appreciation of both spectacles and binos, but probably don´t impress women as much as, say, Armani and Porsche.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back