• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A blurred little bird - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Apart from the bad light, the rain, and the distance to these birds; I wasn't even photographing them, they were in the corner of the frame. So this is a heavy crop, and it's blurred. But as I know some of you like difficult (impossible?) IDs, I thought that I'd post it.

In the foreground is a juve Chaffinch and a Goldfinch, but what's behind them?

Thanks.

Attachments

• P1860949R.JPG
    P1860949R.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 342
Rather strangely, it looks like a Lesser Whitethroat to me!!

Thanks for the replies.

That's interesting, David, because I see (uploaded a pic last week) Lesser Whitethroats in that area. There was some Common Whitethroats this morning, but I never noticed any Lessers.

Chris looking at the legs and the tail Iv'e convinced myself that this is a Grey Wag maybe a juvenile.Then again it could be!!!!!! No I,m sure it is!

Chris looking at the legs and the tail Iv'e convinced myself that this is a Grey Wag maybe a juvenile.Then again it could be!!!!!! No I,m sure it is!

With my eyes, Adam, I can't even see the legs.|=)| Plenty of Grey Wagtails over there, so it wouldn't be unusual, apart from perhaps feeding with the Finches.

Well Chris, you do like to Tease, with these photo's. Going by the facial markings, i would also go for, Gray Wagtail.

My very first thought was actually Nuthatch:-O but on closer inspection I'd probably agree with Juve Grey wagtail.

I'd take the Nuthatch, Adam, I've never seen one of them.|=)| It does seem good for a Grey Wagtail. These birds were on a path that separates two Reservoirs, so it's quite close to the waters edge, and it does "look" like a GW.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Rather strangely, it looks like a Lesser Whitethroat to me!!

Me too. I'm not convinced its a Grey Wagtail. I don't ever recall seeing a Grey Wagtail feeding away from an area of water (even if it is a small puddle). Does the area where the photo was taken have no water and is it in a scrubby area?

CB

Me too. I'm not convinced its a Grey Wagtail. I don't ever recall seeing a Grey Wagtail feeding away from an area of water (even if it is a small puddle). Does the area where the photo was taken have no water and is it in a scrubby area?

CB

[..]These birds were on a path that separates two Reservoirs, so it's quite close to the waters edge, and it does "look" like a GW.

I'm not sure what else to say.|=)|

I agree with Lesser Whitethroat, head looks large compared to body which makes it look quite wrong for a grey wag, also plain wings.

So... we've got 4 for Grey Wagtail and 4 for Lesser Whitethroat (I'm not sure enough to say which it is), it's close.|=)|

EDIT: cross posted. Now it's 4 to 6, not so close.

EDIT2: I'll check back tomorrow and see how it's going.|=)|

Last edited:
So... we've got 4 for Grey Wagtail and 4 for Lesser Whitethroat (I'm not sure enough to say which it is), it's close.|=)|

EDIT: cross posted. Now it's 4 to 6, not so close.

EDIT2: I'll check back tomorrow and see how it's going.|=)|
One more for LW. I think you can be pretty sure it's not a Grey Wagtail. Colours don't match, legs wrong, shape wrong, size wrong. It all fits well with LW though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back