• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a few birds from the USA - Illinois (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

I have a request for help in identifying several birds in the USA - Illinois area. The very big one on the tree, some kind of eagle, I think? 6641 and 43 the same bird.

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6639.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6641.JPG
    IMG_6641.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6643.JPG
    IMG_6643.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 75
Could you give the dates, please? Thanks.
1. Chunky enough to be a(n immature) bald eagle. Wouldn't rule out it being a Buteo.
2. Impossible? I guess someone might have ideas about what it might be, but I doubt it could ever be identified.
3-4. I'd guess blue jay.

It was realy big bird - so i think eagle
Judging the size of a lone bird is notoriously unreliable. If all the people in the world who had seen a Buteo and thought they had seen an eagle-sized bird had actually seen an eagle... umm, there would be a lot more eagles in the world than there actually are!

do these yellow tail feathers tell nothing ?
Are they tail-feathers? Or legs? Or (for some odd photographic reason) not really yellow anythings at all? From a single fuzzy I really couldn't say. How about a yellowlegs? - even though I don't think it otherwise looks like one. As I said, someone else might have an idea that's more credible.

1. I would guess red-tailed hawk. Not sure what tree species, but eagles like big branches.
2. I would guess the yellow is feet/legs, no other comment
3/4 blue jay looks a good shout - not a mockingbird for example (white wing patches would be visible) or anything else I can think of off the top of my head but about that shape and size of bird (based on wing shape & in-flight posture)

eagles like big branches
Agreed - and I also thought that branch looks kinda feeble. But the bird's got that rugged chunky look...

Have you got any other photos (even if you think they're worse) of the raptor? - especially with the head/bill side-on to us?

No. 1 looks superficially OK for a juvie Bald Eagle, but I can't say for sure it's not something else.
I think the yellow in No. 2 is the legs of the bird, but I don't think it's possible to get an ID from this picture.
I would say Blue Jay for 3-4 as well. I can see a hint of white near the edge of the tail, and possibly an eyeline, especially in No. 3. The shape looks good for Blue Jay as well.

thank you all for your interpretations, unfortunately I don't have any other pictures of the 'eagle'. One species is certain, I acknowledge (Blue Jay). As for the yellow-legged one - aren't such legs peculiar to some species?

I would say
1. Immature bald eagle or possibly a red-tailed or red-shouldered hawk?
2. Robin?
3-4. Blue jay is a very good guess

While I agree that photo 2 is perhaps not identifiable with 100% certainty I think there is a pretty strong case for a Waxwing. The overall chunkiness/proportions look like a songbird to me and there are not many that have bright yellow legs like this, in particular that would extend beyond the tail/be so evident. The yellow tail tip, and paler grey rump with more brownish back are both spot on for a Waxwing. The linked image is much higher quality but shows the rump/back contrast nicely.

Agreed with others on Bald Eagle and Blue Jay for the other images.

On second thought: 1) probable eagle (in which case it is young and should be Bald). Something about the posture: the way the tail meets the wings. Easy to be wrong from a single photo but it does look eagle-ish despite what seems to be an unlikely perch.
2) waxwing. The yellow is not feet after all: too thin and linear, plus it seems to continue to the right. I didn't think the yellow of a waxwing tail would show that brightly (I never seem to see it in the field) but Avery pointing out the rump contrast has me convinced.
3) blue jay as previously agreed

Now that Avery has mentioned it, I can see that No. 2 does fit a Waxwing. In looking closer at the yellow, it extends to to the birds right wingpit, so it's not the bird's feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back