• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good walk in Wigan (1 Viewer)

Krispo

Newbie Birder For Life
hi,

as we were on our way home we saw a common tern fly over, near a couple of pools where we'd thought about going for a walk in the past but not got round to it, because we thought it wouldn't be productive as it is very close to the JJB stadium and a counsil estate. anyway we decided to go late on in the evening at about 7.50 didn't really know what to expect the lakes arent that big have some smallish trees at the side and A LOT! of hawthorn. we arrived there and after a bit of messin around about where to park we finally parked in the soccar dome car park and walked along to these pools on the way to the pools the tern passed us - we never saw it again - so the list of things of interest that we saw were

common tern
reed bunting
sedge warbler
(heard) reed warbler
WILLOW TIT
and a warbler which i couldnt recognise - it was all over leave colour on top with a totally non-descript head which was the same coulour as the upper parts, it had a dark eye, its under parts were the same colour as on top but got paler as it got further back and had a white vent. that is all the detail i could pick up.

if you live local i would recomend you to give it a go. it is the pools at the end of stadium way by the Wigan Observer factory.

A very good evening's birding - especially getting Willow Tit, a bird that's in decline in most areas these days. No idea what the other warbler was, though!

Another good walk in the same area is down the Canal towards Crooke - you should pick up quite a few species and it can be quite good for other wildlife as well.

my description of the warbler is vague, i only got a glimpse of it and by the time i put this on it was patchy.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back