• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Little Publishing Help? (1 Viewer)

WJC

I’m in DIRE need of an InDesign CS6 FOR MAC geek who loves to share his or her knowledge with others.

It has been 16 years since I was an InDesign geek who used it in a professional setting—every day. On top of being an old guy, I’ve had a stroke. Consequently, my synaptic gap can go from being measured in micron to feet at a moments notice. In addition, my wife and I just moved from the Seattle area where InDesign experts are falling out of trees to Twin Falls, Idaho where they’re not ... BIG TIME. We also moved from a large two story with a finished basement to a small rambler. Thus, considering my handicap, I hope to find my CRYPTIC (far beyond my needs) manual sometime before ... Christmas.
My problem is that I have a 232-page technical (optics) book passed its due date because I am fighting to remember SOME OF THE BASICS of InDesign. So far, most of the problems I have solved by what the damaged memory has left intact. Yet, an incredibly important problem still looms.
It seems a large number of pages near the end of the book, created at the outset, disappeared without warning while working with graphic manipulation near the beginning. Then, when I tried to replace them by grabbing the original text I used from Word, the PAGES were replaced, but not the text boxes. I really don’t want to have to deal with creating the text boxes ONE AT A TIME, from pages 108-232. Also, I have not been able to get the text to flow from box to box when I DID create text boxes manually.
Finally, Although I grabbed this text from the SAME Word document, ALL the formatting was discarded. Not only would this create too much work, I would undoubtedly miss a lot.
Please help me if you can; I would like to get the book in print before optics become obsolete. The text has been ready since just before the first of the year. I professor of publishing is willing to help me but will not be able to do so until mid-June. I have found a couple on the Adobe Community forum willing to help, but some want to show off what they know WAY, WAY beyond my needs and others, not having English as a familiar language don’t come close to understanding my questions.

If you can’t help, perhaps you can recommend a fast-working ... poison. :cat:

I use Indesign CS5.5 on Windows as part of my work. Mainly for leaflets and booklets, not done much long form book work but would be willing to give it a look.

I suspect the missing pages didn't get 'lost' but need to be re-flowed (is that a word??!!) from the end of the last frame i.e the graphics simply pushed the text off the end of the last frame and you need to then generate new space for that stuff.

We use InDesign on a Mac for all our stuff from posters to catalogues so our graphic designer might be able to offer some guidance. Is the main InDesign file small enough to email?

Cheers, Pete

Mono & Pete:

Thank you both for your responses. My son’s family will be in town for the next few days and my thoughts will be on ... survival. I may post a little here but may need to wait until the storm blows over before getting back to rational thinking.

Pete, 100+ pages have had the photos dropped in; thus, it is huge. If I am just told HOW to do what I need to do, that would be great.

Would you two send me your REAL email addresses so we need not tie up the forum or the private message section?

Send to: [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back