• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A really good spring for Black Kites in the U.K? (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

Am I right in thinking that this year has been exceptional for the numbers of Black Kites? There has been a steady trickle for a few weeks now , but very few lingering.

Seems about normal to me, and its also worth remembering that even before the universality of Red Kites, Black Kites were among the most frequently rejected due to misidentification of Marsh Harriers. There have been some relevant threads on here!

Catching up with even the real ones remains one of the more difficult challenges.

John

Multiple records in Dorset this spring, pretty sure far far more than normal
James
Pretty sure in Dorset at least there have been one or two lingering wanderers (never in the same place two sightings running! :mad: ) rather than a lot of arrivals. I've been watching with some interest as I'm year-listing and could do with a better British photo than I currently have.

There have been multiple-bird arrivals before, they've even bred (in Cornwall IIRC, wasn't it the year the idea of the British Red Kite Cornwall Convention was mooted?)

What do the actual stats for acceptances say about past years?

John

So has there been a record of a Black Kite successful breeding attempt? Wasn't there a Red / Black Kite successful breeding attempt in Scotland? I don't know if this was a one off. It seems that it has been very difficult to twitch most of these records this year.

So has there been a record of a Black Kite successful breeding attempt? Wasn't there a Red / Black Kite successful breeding attempt in Scotland? I don't know if this was a one off. It seems that it has been very difficult to twitch most of these records this year.
Yes, possibly more than one year? It was way up in Caithness I think.

I accept James's contention but twitchable for me means not just from Weymouth to Swanage.

John

Seems about normal to me, and its also worth remembering that even before the universality of Red Kites, Black Kites were among the most frequently rejected due to misidentification of Marsh Harriers. There have been some relevant threads on here!

Catching up with even the real ones remains one of the more difficult challenges.

John
It's interesting you say about the Marsh Harrier ID thing there has been a Black Kite reported on Unst last couple of days, when I was there the day before it was reported I saw a Marsh Harrier, I've triple check the pics I've got and it's defo a female type Marsh Harrier which is annoying as Black Kite would have been a lifer ! Picture attached of my bird confirmation of Marsh Harrier or otherwise would be nice, though I'm pretty sure it's a marshie

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1653080068336.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653080068336.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 26
2 Black Kites in Shetland together a day or 2 ago.
One of the Kent birds was later seen in Suffolk.
A bird in 2020 or 2021 first seen in possibly in the Aberdeen area was later seen on a Scottish Isle too.

How many of the southern birds could have actually been sighted elsewhere over the following week?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back