• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Sun Browned Botanical Birder @ Bishop Middleham (1 Viewer)

brianfm

Botanical Birder
Part One

Yes, you have guessed tis me! I spent two days in the sun in the area of Bishop Middleham, that’s south of the Tyne in darkest Durham. One day was to explore the area prior to our RSPB trip a few days later, so as ever, trying to find ways to cut out work I have decided to combine the two reports into one. I didn’t have to tell you that really, but there you are I’m an honest Geordie and a generous one too as you will see when I put up copious numbers of flower photos and one or two or even three insect photos. Now admit it, you cannot wait! First you must read the report………and no cheating please and just looking at the photos!

23rd and 26th July. At last summer had arrived, butterflies were on the wing, pollen in the air and a young man (that’s me) thoughts turned to the birds and bees……and wild flowers, so a trip was made to Bishop Middleham, which is a limestone area in Durham and which has a working quarry and an old quarry which is a haven for things natural and is well known for the fact that European Bee-eaters nested there a few years ago.

We started off with a walk from the rather nice village, past some very interesting old buildings and the farm buildings, and across to the smallish lake. Durham Bird Club do conservation work here and I the farmers are involved too. Very quickly we found Yellow Wagtail, a species very much under threat now, but often seen in this localised area. Grey and Pied Wagtails were about too. Swallows, House Martins and Swifts were all feeding. It was hot even before noon so I’m pleased the pace was an easy one. The lake and surrounding area is renowned for its birds and I can report that sightings included Little Ringed Plover, Golden Plover, Lapwing, Green Sandpiper, Greenshank and Snipe with a supporting act including Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Grey Heron, Mute Swan, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Teal, Shoveller, Coot and Moorhen. The bird that excited me however was the calling Corn Bunting. That once common bird, which is now a rarity. I can’t remember the last time I saw one in the UK which was in Northumberland, before I was quite so keen on birding. The song is unmistakeable, that jingle of keys, and I learnt it not locally, but in Spain where Corn Buntings, thankfully were everywhere. Anyway learning the song is like learning to ride a bike, once learnt you do not forget, although having been on a bike not so long ago I’m not to sure on that belief! Believe me though, watching that Corn Bunting through the telescope (I used someone else’s scope as I had felt it too hot t o carry my own, said I was honest;-)) singing away in the sunshine atop of a thistle was some sight.

We eventually pulled our selves away from viewing the lake and keeping to the path negotiated a rather tricky opening and climb through the stone wall. This is where the wildflowers, Butterflies and odonata started to come into there own. Butterflies seen included Large White, Small White, Red Admiral, Meadow Brown, Small Heath and Common Blue. Odonata included unidentified hawker and darter species, Common Blue Damselfly, Blue Tailed Damselfly and Emperor Dragonfly. Wildflowers included some firsts for me and generally a very good selection. Thistles were perhaps the most numerous including Creeping Cirsium arvense, Spear Cirsium vulgare, Musk Carduss crispus a new one for me and Marsh Cirsium palustre. There was also Common Cetaurea nigra and Greater Knapweed Centaurea scabiosa. Other flowers on the walk to the Reed bed and pond included Scarlet Pimpernel Anagallis arvensis, White Campion Silene latifolia, Perforate St Johns Wort Hypericum perforatum, Weld Reseda luteola, Agrimony Agrimonia eupatoria , Great Burnet, Sanguisorba officinalis Lucerne Medicago sativa, Cut Leaved Cransebill Geranium dissectum, Dovesfoot Cranesbill Geranium molle, Common Toadflax Linaria vulgaris , Creeping Cinquefoil Potentilla retans and Rest Harrow Ononis spinosa etc etc.

Lunch time was a well earned rest and time to take in some food and liquid. It would have been easy to become dehydrated today. Kestrel, Jay and Sedge Warbler were seen near the pond along with a pair of Mute Swans with cygnets. I was beginning to wish that I had brought sun lotion with me, but resisted in asking for a drop of someone else’s. On the day we took the group there were certainly a few feeling the effects of the sun as they dropped down for lunch. After lunch we made towards the village still counting the Common Spotted Orchids Dactylorhiza fuchsii and what I am sure was odd Pyramidal Orchids Anacamptis pyramidalis. Perhaps someone could advise on that please as I shall put a photo up. We had time for a cool drink in one of the pubs before setting off to the old Quarry which will form the second part of my report. Coming soon.

Photos 1) Musk Thistle 2) Lucerne 3) Great Burnet 4) Meadowsweet 5) Cut-leaved Cranesbill

Attachments

• IMG_9539.JPG
    IMG_9539.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9540.JPG
    IMG_9540.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9542.JPG
    IMG_9542.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9549.JPG
    IMG_9549.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9555.JPG
    IMG_9555.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
1) Greater Knapweed 2) Creeping Cinqefoil 3) Scarlet Pimpernel 4) Pyramidal Orchid ??? Can anyone confirm or otherwise please? 5) Field Cranesbill

Attachments

• IMG_9580.JPG
    IMG_9580.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9608.JPG
    IMG_9608.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9612.JPG
    IMG_9612.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9613.JPG
    IMG_9613.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9617.JPG
    IMG_9617.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 13
A beautifully illustrated report as usual Brian!:t:
Lovely to see the Scarlet Pimpernel and to hear about your Corn Bunting sighting.
I'm already looking forward to reading the 2nd part of your summer excursion.

Part Two

My first ever visit to the old quarry at Bishop Middleham was last year, a little latter in the year so just missing the plants at their best. The quarry is a wonderful little spot with the magnesian limestone being ideal for a variety of plants, and it is a place I find hard to leave, especially on a hot summer’s day. The heat can at times make the place rather like an oven I feel. The quarry is managed to an extent by Durham Wildlife Trust in order to ensure it does not become taken over by scrub and eventually by woodland, and so the ideal conditions are kept for the herbs and insects. Sadly whilst visiting I learnt that there has been problems caused by individuals taking the plants away. What stupidity and selfishness!!! One should not be surprised at the thickness of some in this world!!!

Mugwort Artemisia vulgaris, Meadow Cranesbill Geranium pratense and Field Scabious Knautia arvensis greeted me at the entrance of the quarry, but it was the Orchids I had really come to see. This quarry is believed to hold as many of the rare Dark Red Helloborine Orchid Epipactis atrorubens as the rest of the UK has in total. My first introduction to this orchid was last year and I found this year that many were in prime condition and many more of them too. They really are a beautiful plant and worthy of close examination. The quarry too has large numbers of the Marsh Fragrant Orchid Gymnadenia densiflora. The Fragrant Orchid has recently been split into three separate species, Common, Marsh and Heath. I understand that the quarry population is Marsh. I also found several Common Twayblades Listera ovata too, which was a new one for me.

Not only do we have rare flowers here but there is also the rare Northern Brown Argus Butterfly which I found on my visit to St Abbs earlier in the year is not that easy to find as it is so small and in flight seems to me to resemble a silvery/grey moth. They seem to disappear completely when the sun is clouded over, but in the sun patience usually pays off as they occasionally settle. I noticed that the larger butterflies and insect seemed to be drawn to them, or was it the other way around? Anyway it meant that the Argus rarely settled. The reason they are here at all is because their caterpillar feed on the mass of Common Rock Rose Helianthemum nummularium in the quarry. There were also large numbers of Large White, Small White, Meadow Brown, Small Heath and Ringlet Butterflies in the Quarry, at one point all flying around me at one time along with numbers of Burnet Moths (five spotted I think). There was also the odd Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell and Small Skipper Butterfly. The Burnet Moth caterpillar feeds on the Birdsfoot Trefoil Lotus corniculatatus, and takes in small amounts of cyanide which the plant has in small quantities. Hence we have a very brightly coloured caterpillar warning predators to keep clear!

Just so the birders don’t feel neglected we did have several sightings of two Green Woodpeckers, one a Juvenile bird and the calls of a Kestrel, I think. The Sand Martins appear to have left their nest site.

I was especially keen to fine the Carline Thistles Carlina vulgaris and eventually did. This was another new plant for me. Apparently the flower looks similar whether fresh or dead and can continue like that throughout the winter. I was told that the flower of this plant grows much larger in the French Pyrenees. I am wondering of this is the exact same species or a relative? Whilst looking for the Carline Thistle I found a Grove Snail (I think) tucked under the flower of the Ragwort Senecio erucifolius (I assumed, but can’t be certain). Looked interesting so I took a photo.

One has to be very careful where one places the feet as there are plants many quite rare all over the floor and walls of the quarry. We spent over two hours wondering in the quarry and wood and I ate my first Wild Strawberries Fragaria vesca in the sun which had been picked by a French Lady. Rather nice taste. We began to fine several resting Northern Brown Argus by now as the Burnet Moths flew everywhere. We kept coming across some more very nice specimens of flowers including Wild Thyme Thymus polytrichus, Common Centaury Centaurium erythraea, Lady’s Bedstraw Galium verum, Harebells Campanula rotundifolia, Fairy Flax Linum catharticum, Autumn Gentian Gentianella amarella, Hop Trefoil Trifolium campestre and Large Trefoil Trifolium aureum. Simply too many wildflowers today to mention them all.

I mentioned somewhere else that even just a couple of years ago I would never have thought I would have developed such an interest in wild flowers, but I have. Birds are number one but I have to admit they took a backseat for even me somewhat on this trip. Having said that I’m still mindful that I added 3 new species to the year list in Little Ringed Plover, Green Sandpiper and Corn Bunting. We came across 11 species of butterflies too, some of them in very large numbers. I hope my report reflects at least in part just what a wonderful all round visit this was. One of the best! I do think as knowledge begins to grow so do the rewards of enjoying nature. I hope you found the report of interest and enjoy the photos.

Take care.

Photos 1) Marsh Fragrant Orchid 2) Common Twayblade 3) Dark Red Helleborine 4) Burnnet Moth on C Knapweed 5) Harebells with Soldier Beetle

Attachments

• IMG_9562.JPG
    IMG_9562.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9588.JPG
    IMG_9588.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9568.JPG
    IMG_9568.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9575.JPG
    IMG_9575.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9576.JPG
    IMG_9576.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
1) Dark Red Helleborine 2) Marsh Fragrant Orchid 3) Grove Snail/Ragwort
4) Common Centaury 5) Eyebright species

Attachments

• IMG_9582.JPG
    IMG_9582.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9585.JPG
    IMG_9585.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9589.JPG
    IMG_9589.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9590.JPG
    IMG_9590.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9619.JPG
    IMG_9619.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 16
1) Fairy Flax 2) Carline Thistle 3) C Blue Butterfly on Scabious 4)+ 5)Autumn Gentian

Attachments

• IMG_9622.JPG
    IMG_9622.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9623.JPG
    IMG_9623.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9625.JPG
    IMG_9625.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9628.JPG
    IMG_9628.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9630.JPG
    IMG_9630.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 21
Oooh what a lovely selection and report, Brian. That Meadowsweet looks like the garden plant Astilbe. Very enjoyable read. Thank you!

And there I was, wondering what the Latin name for a Sun Browned Botanical Birder might be......

Pat (married to a Mackem)8-P

Well....I read it all...word for word! Honest...and viewed all the photo's!:t:

A great read and splendid photo's to accompany the report, Brian! :clap:

A lot to take in on the first read though so this will have to be re-read again. It all sounds and looks such a rich area with Flora and Fauna. The Hellebores look lovely, I have yet to find one! Now we know where all the butterflies are then, in Durham! It all sounds a great 2 days you had in wonderful sunshine. Thanks for taking the time to write up such an interesting and informative report.

I will have a look at the Pyramidal Orchid but feel sure that you must have ID'd it correctly...be unusual if you are wrong!o:D

I really enjoyed reading your report Brian, thank you for sharing it with us. Like Pam, I'll be reading it again.
The wild flower pics are just beautiful. Flowers and butterflies are my second loves after birds. After referring to my little book I agree that it is a Pyramidal Orchid, I've never seen one but it matches the description of the flowerhead - quite compact compared to others.

Thank you for the very nice comments. I enjoy writing my reports and it adds to the enjoyment when I know you've enjoyed reading it.

Pam....the Butterflies seem to have come out in numbers in the past couple of weeks sunshine, although they have gone in now that it is raining. lol

Bea... thanks for looking that Orchid up and giving another opinion. As you see it was going back a bit and I wasn't certain.

Wish I could describe better the scene with 100s of Dark Red Helleborines. I felt it was a privellge to be there. It was definately one trip where we required sunshine and we got it!

I have a flower list of most, but not all of the wildflowers seen. I'll stick it up at some point.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Excellent report Brian,
The consideration given to detail always makes your reports educational & entertaining.
I love the way you introduce the reader to the history of the habitats and your observations of human behaviour adds to the reality of life.
I googled Wild Orchids in my area a few weeks ago & nowhere near the variety of plants you found on your visits. Bishop Middleham must be a botanist haven.
Well done with the Corn Bunting, you lucky, lucky thing!! What a lovely tick!

The pics are gorgeous Brian, I love the images with the passengers on board.
Smashing read, thank you Bri :t:

Thank you for the very nice comments. I enjoy writing my reports and it adds to the enjoyment when I know you've enjoyed reading it.

Pam....the Butterflies seem to have come out in numbers in the past couple of weeks sunshine, although they have gone in now that it is raining. lol

Bea... thanks for looking that Orchid up and giving another opinion. As you see it was going back a bit and I wasn't certain.

Wish I could describe better the scene with 100s of Dark Red Helleborines. I felt it was a privellge to be there. It was definately one trip where we required sunshine and we got it!

I have a flower list of most, but not all of the wildflowers seen. I'll stick it up at some point.

Best wishes

Very interesting report, Bri. Normally I just glance past all the plants bits to get to the birds, but today I read it with interest when I heard the Pyramidal Orchid mentioned. They're the ones we have here growing in small numbers on some of our set aside. They look similar to the ones in your photo, and we've ID'ed them as that (or at least my dad did).

I guess at this time of year all us birders have to turn our minds to plants, or butterflies, or dragonflies, or whatever it is we amuse ourselves with whilst the birds are being boring and getting their moulting and what have you out of the way. That said, seems as though you've racked up a fairly good list of birds too, so you're getting best of both worlds!

Thanks for posting,

I am with you and Bea with the Orchid being the Pyramidal Orchid, Brian!

I have just re-read the 2 reports again. On such a dull day as today it was a pleasure to read again, well even on a hot sunny day it would have been!o:D
Take your sun cream next time!;)

The days wait for part 2 was well worth it Brian thank you for such an in depth report with some wonderful illustations of your descriptions!:t:

You should send some of your reports to your local newspaper,"Brian's Country Ramblings"...... it'd go down well I'm sure and you might even get a weekly slot!!!:t:

Thanks, especially for the confirmation of the Pyramidal Orchid. I have been reading up on this one and it does have some obvious ponts to look for, but as with birds obvious points are not always 'obvious' for the non expert. It's an interesting one though. Hope I find some fresh ones next year as they loose the pyramidal shape as they age. Glad you have them on the farm Chris.:t:

I loved reading your reports, Brian.
I particularly like the photo's of the Orchids you found. I have got very into Orchids this year, having noticed some on the grass verges of our main roads. After that I saw them everywhere, but you have seen different species to me.
Next year I will look even more closely to find the different types.

I loved reading your reports, Brian.
I particularly like the photo's of the Orchids you found. I have got very into Orchids this year, having noticed some on the grass verges of our main roads. After that I saw them everywhere, but you have seen different species to me.
Next year I will look even more closely to find the different types.

Thank you Val.

I'm studying my orchid book for next year.:t: I am determined to try and get up to Lindisfarne at the correct time of year and find the Lindisfarne Helleborine, endemic to the area. There's a few birds there too of course.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back