• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Sunny day in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

Gert Corfield

United Kingdom
A beautiful sunny morning called for a trip to my local reserve – Upton Warren in Worcestershire.

In the hide with the sun behind a wonderful view unfolded of loafing Shovler, Teal, a couple of Wigeon, Heron , Cormorant and two ‘skinhead’ Great Crested Grebes to name a few.

After an hour I was off to another part of the reserve to see if I could relocate a long staying Yellow Browed Warbler (now in its third week).

On the way I picked up two Song and Mistle Thrush and four Fieldfare all in a nearby field running in bursts and prodding the hard ground with beaks with varying degrees of force – the smallest of the trio (Song) almost bouncing back off the ground !

The pips and churs of a party of Long Tailed Tits brought a sense of anticipation. They were soon joined by a Goldcrest and nearby an over wintering Chiff Chaff. The later hovered about the ends of low branches picking off insects too small to see. The sight brought back memories of spring and early summer.

Further searching for an hour did not locate the Yellow Browed but I was entertained by a hyperactive Coal Titand parties of Siskin and Redpoll intricately probing at the cones of Alders – the former announcing themselves with a strained ‘zeeeeee’

A treecreeper in full sun showed off its ability to hold on upside down and use its curved bill to get under bark.

Walking past a small pool I disturbed a Kingfisher which tore close by my head giving out its high pitched alarm call - which got the adrenalin going!

About to give up I headed back when, alerted by the original party of Long Tailed Tits, the Yellow Browed Warbler I’d been looking for flitted into a Silver Birch. About the size of a Goldcrest, but much more lively, it stayed in the tree, working up, in the sun for about 5 minutes.

A wonderful view allowed me to fully study its markings (the yellow brow and wing bar) and jizz. How amazing that a bird more associated with Siberia than the middle of England was only ten minutes from Home ! A perfect ending to a perfect morning

Attachments

• MoorsPoolsUW21.12.2003Web.jpg
    MoorsPoolsUW21.12.2003Web.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 104
That kind of day would suit me fine. I was close to payign a visit to Upton Warren but went to Belvide for LRPs instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back