• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A trip to the real Australian outback and featuring the Fairy Martin (1 Viewer)

greykangaroo

Australia
This is the pictorial trip with photos I took myself. Some are of mud nesting receptacles in caves but I didn't take any nest photos nor is there copyright on the photos which I gladly share with the forum.
I wanted to get this post done for the interest of members before I go.

Here is the Fairy Martin
Cave nest 5.jpg

Here are the mud structures they build. These little birds know about avian paedophiles and you can’t see their chicks.

cave nest 1.jpg
The country side and caves

cave nest 3.jpg

cave nest 2.jpg
It is ideal to be careful in those caves and under ledges as the Death Adders and King Browns have gotten there first.

I came across this lonely prospector's grave and house. "Prospector and dreamer", it said. These old timers spend their whole lives out there hoping to strike it. And never do.

A lonely grave  1.jpg
The full paraphernalia of human existence is still evident in it’s rough form.

A lonely grave 3.jpg
A lonley grave 2.jpg
A lonley grave 4.jpg
It didn't feel comfortable in the old house. It felt like I shouldn't be in there.

Very much like I feel about being part of this forum.
I think there are some normal people here, particularly the Americans and a couple of Brits, but a forum that deletes posts because they contain a photo of a birds nests is alarming.
In my garden at the moment it is high Spring here in Perth, I have several species nesting. They are all being fed by me. The three types of honeyeaters, the two types of Wattlebirds, the two breeds of doves, the Willy wagtail, the galahs and the magpies. All have nests and I am not harming any of them.

Last edited:
Since I wrote this up the New Holland Honeyeaters have successfully reared their three young that were nesting in one of our hanging baskets.

Unfortunately, because of forum rules, I couldn't take a photo for the forum members of the nest and chicks although I looked at them every day when I put some honey out in a jar lid for them to eat.

New Holland.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back