• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a590is a570is a95 fuji f30 or other (1 Viewer)

mcepjg

Peter
I need a camera I intend to use it as a point and shoot as well it needs to be less than £150 second hand which do you recommend

Hi Pete,
I have experience with the A95 and F30 (I still have both) and can say that they are both very good cameras for both digiscoping and p&s. If I had to choose between the two for digiscoping, particularly in this country, I'd go for the F30 every time. It's low light capability is something to be admired. It's also very good for close up work; some of the best insect pictures I've taken have been with this camera.
I have also seen fantastic results also from the A 95 whose main advantage is probably the rotatable screen. You will find advocates of both, but I'd put the F30 the most usable. I still use it even though I have other cameras considered by some people as better i.e. Nikon 8400 and Nikon P6000. I would add Canon A620 to your list if I were you; in fact exchange it for the A95!
Max

I have the A590IS..Works OK for digiscoping,and makes a very usable all around camera,with its Image Stabilization,..It controls Noise fairly well,up to 400 ISO,and with the right conditions ,you can achieve good digiscoping results...But I have got better detail,though, with a Pentax K10,and a very old,beaten Tokina 400 ,manually focusing,Due to its bigger sensor and better ISO response,So I am inclined to think that a good low light performer,Like the Fuji F31fd,even lacking Image stabilization,Its probably a better digiscoping camera...

I have the A590IS..Works OK for digiscoping,and makes a very usable all around camera,with its Image Stabilization,..It controls Noise fairly well,up to 400 ISO,and with the right conditions ,you can achieve good digiscoping results...But I have got better detail,though, with a Pentax K10,and a very old,beaten Tokina 400 ,manually focusing,Due to its bigger sensor and better ISO response,So I am inclined to think that a good low light performer,Like the Fuji F31fd,even lacking Image stabilization,Its probably a better digiscoping camera...

my concerns with the f30/f31fd are thus:

Slow read/write
requires menu setting when turned on
also are there issues with build quality (I see a lot of broken ones for sale)

Hi Pete,
I have experience with the A95 and F30 (I still have both) and can say that they are both very good cameras for both digiscoping and p&s. If I had to choose between the two for digiscoping, particularly in this country, I'd go for the F30 every time. It's low light capability is something to be admired. It's also very good for close up work; some of the best insect pictures I've taken have been with this camera.
I have also seen fantastic results also from the A 95 whose main advantage is probably the rotatable screen. You will find advocates of both, but I'd put the F30 the most usable. I still use it even though I have other cameras considered by some people as better i.e. Nikon 8400 and Nikon P6000. I would add Canon A620 to your list if I were you; in fact exchange it for the A95!
Max

Thanks for that I will swap the A620 for the A95 (although I am right in saying one problem with the A 620 is you cannot put it to full mag without vignetting problems? am I) I had heard so many good things about the F30.

but was worried about the following in particular 2 & 3

Slow read/write
requires menu setting when turned on
also are there issues with build quality (I see a lot of broken ones for sale)

currently I think the main camera's I am considering are the A590IS, the F30 the DSC W7, as I have a budget of under £150 so the Nikon 8400 and Nikon P6000 are out of may range.

Hi Pete,
I'm not sure what you mean about slow read/write, it's never been a problem for me. Also, I'm not sure what you mean about menu setting, but you may mean the fact that, unlike the Canon's where you can save all settings, you have to set maybe a couple of things. I'm thinking in particular zoom level, and possibly the Final three. Those are the only things I set when I turn mine on. Re build quality, I can't comment apart from saying that I personally have had no problems.
Without checking my A620 I can't be sure about 'full mag' vignetting. It's not a good idea to use any point and shoot at full zoom anyway, and I never do. A general rule of thumb I've found is around the two thirds/three quarters area.
There's an F30 for sale on the forum at the moment for £75; I'd be inclined to snap it up!
Max

Hello Pete,
I'm using a 590IS for digiscoping and it works pretty well. The main drawback for me is the quality of the lcd. It has a low resolution, which makes it hard to focus, especially in bright light.

Advantages are its many settings (the customizable selftimer being one i frequently use), which can even be extended to shooting RAW and motion detect using the chdk software, and the fact it uses AA batteries (so it's easy to pick up some spare ones).

Using this link you can see one of the pics i recently shot with it (in combination with an optolyth telescope).

Hope this helps,
Paul

Hello Pete,
I'm using a 590IS for digiscoping and it works pretty well. The main drawback for me is the quality of the lcd. It has a low resolution, which makes it hard to focus, especially in bright light.

Advantages are its many settings (the customizable selftimer being one i frequently use), which can even be extended to shooting RAW and motion detect using the chdk software, and the fact it uses AA batteries (so it's easy to pick up some spare ones).

Using this link you can see one of the pics i recently shot with it (in combination with an optolyth telescope).

Hope this helps,
Paul

Wow those are some great shots! Have you tried any of the telephoto or macro lenses for the camera?

Last edited:
Hey Pete,

I haven't tried any other lenses with the camera (I use a DSLR for that purpose). FYI only the pic of the swallow is one I made with the 590IS. Most other pics are from other users on that forum. The picture at leastshows you the 590IS is fit for digiscoping (and is a handy compact for other uses as well).
Paul

Hey Pete,

I haven't tried any other lenses with the camera (I use a DSLR for that purpose). FYI only the pic of the swallow is one I made with the 590IS. Most other pics are from other users on that forum. The picture at least shows you the 590IS is fit for digiscoping (and is a handy compact for other uses as well).
Paul

It confused me at first but I noticed it after, so I had a look at your pics. I think the stilt, the house sparrow and the swallow with the feather are particularly nice (I like shots with showing behaviour) and I think the butterfly shot shows just how good the camera is for macro. I'm looking forward to trying it out, although the camera is being discontinued.

And to be complete: the butterfly shot was taken through the scope as well. As someone else here put it: the 590IS is a fine camera for digiscoping, but it makes you work hard. I guess, though, that goes for all digiscoping combinations.

Paul

And to be complete: the butterfly shot was taken through the scope as well. As someone else here put it: the 590IS is a fine camera for digiscoping, but it makes you work hard. I guess, though, that goes for all digiscoping combinations.

Paul

I have bought this camera now. It was the best in my price range. but do you have any advice for me when taking photos?

but do you have any advice for me when taking photos?
Yes, lots of practice ;-P

Perhaps the following is of use:
- i have set the custom timer at 3 secs, to take 3 pics;
- get a cable release;
- set digital zoom to standard (i think): then if you have the bird in view, use maximum (digital) zoom; then half press the release button to start AF; then adjust the focus on the scope. When you're done, zoom out again, to maximum 3x optical zoom;
- for optical zoom 1x - 2x, use macro mode (the tulip ;) )
- i have a very simple home made adapter, which you can see here and here , although i have replaced the duct tape by some screws now. I find it easier than the swing out bracket (baader microstage II) I used before. If you want more info on how i made it, plse let me know.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Paul

CHDK is a useful program indeed. It also has a motion detect script and iwill alow you to shoot .RAW.
After reading the manual for the usb remote shutter i
decided to buy a mechanical one from SRB griturn though... but i would have liked the electrical one. If you're handier than i am, like bughunter, go for it!
Paul

Thanks guys this is really helpful. I must admit I am a little apprehensive about using CHDK. I am just worried that all the extra functionality may reduce the ease of use. I'll have to look into it further. The tips about zooming are great. I have mostly been using infinity zoom on the manual mode and focussing manually but my shots have not been great. A lot of this will may be down to camera shake but also I have trouble focussing. I am currently using binoculars with my camera but when I've saved enough cash I want to get a Nikon ED50 (but that might not be for years, lol).

the good thing about chdk is that you don't have to use it. You start it by pressing the non-assingned button on the back. If you don't, the camera will run in its 'normal mode'. A remote shutter will definitely reduce camera shake.
Good luck!
Paul

Don't worry about ease of use. CHDK is running in background, you get the additional CHDK menu after pressing the unused print button.
All what you have to do is to enable once the remote shutter in the menu. Helpful is also to switch on the histogram (otherwise you will see it only in the review mode) and the battery display.

Motion Detection with CHDK

Little Tern nest - Canon A590 with CHDK Motion detection. Camera placed on small tripod 2-3m from nest. Walk away.......

Attachments

• IMG_8024CCAC WEB.jpg
    IMG_8024CCAC WEB.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 148
Motion Detection with CHDK

Another shot using CHDK Motion Detection.
Details.......Camera Canon A590 - ISO 400 - Shutter 1/2000 - Camera 2/3m from nest -

Attachments

• IMG_8482ACLONGweb©.jpg
    IMG_8482ACLONGweb©.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back