• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (3 Viewers)

The twist to the Knot story that I heard, and am hopefully remembering the details correctly, is that others prior to Olaf thought they had the Great Knots. I think they made the call to let others (including Olaf) know about them, but then later realized that the birds were not Great Knots. Instead, I believe they might have been Rock Sandpipers. At those extreme viewing distances, confusing a Rock Sandpiper for a Great Knot is understandable.

It was John that identified a Rock Sandpiper as a Great Knot:-

http://www.birdingfordevils.com/2016/06/alaska-wrap-up-3-8-june.html

These birds are plainly a different shape in my view.

I am sure that they are close enough that both competitors will believe that some of the odder/briefer/non-photographed sightings made the difference.

All the best

I think currently that 779 plays 777.

John has nine species on Olaf:-
Smew
Hawaiian Petrel
White-tailed Tropicbird
Common Sandpiper
Long-toed Stint
Pin-tailed Snipe
Kelp Gull
Gray-headed Chickadee
Red-flanked Bluetail

Olaf has seven species on John:-
Trinidade Petrel
Red-footed Booby
Marsh Sandpiper
Great Knot* (subject of some discussion)
Siberian Rubythroat
Smith's Longspur
Yellow Grosbeak

(I'll be glad when Joe has checked that.)

John has photographed all bar c50 species and of the missing ones, some should have been pretty straightforward to photograph on multiple occasions eg Purple Martin and Wood Stork so presumably he'll dig out photos at some point? A quarter of those not photographed were understandable Owls, Rails and Nightjars.

All the best

How about the Cuban Vireo ?

Also it looks like it was a bad decision of Olaf not to go to Alaska in May - (Smew, PT Snipe, Com Sand and LTStint)

Last edited:
After Christmas Laura is heading east to try to clean up Dovekie and Purple Sandpiper. Haven't heard from Christian or John for a while.

Joe

I am sure that they are close enough that both competitors will believe that some of the odder/briefer/non-photographed sightings made the difference.

Now that is the truth! I wouldn't be surprised if both think that they have won. Each could make a list of several questionable birds for the other, and both have alluded to, if not directly said so in their blogs. Hoping that any bitterness in the process doesn't overshadow what has been a truly impressive year.

No, I mentioned that Olaf is the only birder to have all the Code 1 & Code 2 birds in a single year. John and Christian are each one Code 2 bird away from that.

Joe

Admittedly, I've never seen a Great Knot, but we get Red Knots here in various plumages. These aren't Red Knots in any plumage I've ever seen.
It's interesting that Sibley mentions this about Great Knots: "Breeding plumage of adult resembles breeding plumage of Surfbird." So I look up his drawings of Surfbird and I totally get it.

Joe

Joe

I think it is hard to see plumage on those images as they are strongly side lit (sun from left, deep shadow right). Although I think they are adult summer Red Knot on plumage,(grey uppers, dark unders - red in deep shadow) I think perhaps more telling is the relative length of the bill to the back of the head on the left bird. Note the rear of the head is in strong sun so is almost "lost" in the image. I don't see Great Knot on that bill profile or length.

cheers, alan

If John does need Smith's Longspur, the first ever in Florida was found this morning at Flamingo in the Everglades NP, scooting around under benches at the amphitheater! Right now the photo, which looks solid, was posted on a closed Facebook page.
Andy

Joe

I think it is hard to see plumage on those images as they are strongly side lit (sun from left, deep shadow right). Although I think they are adult summer Red Knot on plumage,(grey uppers, dark unders - red in deep shadow) I think perhaps more telling is the relative length of the bill to the back of the head on the left bird. Note the rear of the head is in strong sun so is almost "lost" in the image. I don't see Great Knot on that bill profile or length.

cheers, alan

The checklist from the previous day is of interest containing photos of the Great Knots and no Red Knot sightings in what appears a pretty comprehensive effort. (The latter not conclusive either way of course!)

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30130922

Have a fun trip.

Alan,
The photos from the previous day (not Olaf's) were the ones I was comparing to the Surfbird drawings. I agree that Olaf's are inconclusive. As far as his sighting goes, it seems that he got scope views that satisfied him, and for longer than a few seconds, which is why I don't have any reason to doubt the ID. But that's just my opinion.
Joe

Okay, we now have two birders who've done a clean sweep on the Code 1 and Code 2 birds in a single year, as John picked up Smith's Longspur. He also added the Rhode Island Graylag Goose, which he's counting as a provisional.

Joe

Have there been any Whooper Swan reports this year? Seems like that is John's only remaining possibility. Olaf still has the catch-up possibilities of the provisional Graylag Goose and a Kelp Gull.

Various discussions on the Greylag Goose:-

http://birding.aba.org/mobiledigest/RI#1221434

I didn't really follow when there was negative news and when it had been seen but originally thought that it suggested negative news on 23rd December with reappearance on 24th December.

Any pictures out there?

All the best

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S33115842

https://m.facebook.com/groups/444762565584392?view=permalink&id=1276011092459531

And finally a new blog post by John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back