• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2016 (2 Viewers)

An interesting comment on the ABA Facebook page:

'Christian Hagenlocher
Here's a fun idea- If everyone who liked the status chips in $25 we could invest in some good satellite telemetry, put a backpack on the bird, and see where it goes when the CAGO leave. If it stays in the area, recovering the transmitter is easy and proves it's a resident/escapee. If it goes back to Greenland, we have a new data set and a valid hypothesis of origin. Who's with me? wink emoticon Rarity chasing would be on a whole 'nother level...'

It is certainly workable technically. Considering how much money a number of birders spend collectively on transport for a twitch, it is perhaps workable financially. I am not sure if it ethically merits disturbing a wild bird, however to play a devils advocate, if it is an escaped bird it should be returned to the place it can live safely...

Probably cheaper: follow the bird around until it sheds a feather, and use that for stable isotope testing. Likely Greenland would produce a different profile than the area where the bird now is being observed.

Niels

According to Paul's last comparison post on December 23rd, I think that is a species John has, but Olaf still needs. I am not sure about Laura or Christian.

Jan in MT

John has nine species on Olaf:-
Smew
Hawaiian Petrel
White-tailed Tropicbird
Common Sandpiper
Long-toed Stint
Pin-tailed Snipe
Kelp Gull
Gray-headed Chickadee
Red-flanked Bluetail

Olaf has seven species on John:-
Trinidade Petrel
Red-footed Booby
Marsh Sandpiper
Great Knot* (subject of some discussion)
Siberian Rubythroat
Smith's Longspur
Yellow Grosbeak

and

Ooops. Olaf on John :- Hawfinch & John on Olaf :- Cuban Vireo.

Many thanks

Last edited:
If Olaf got Kelp Gull and the provisional Graylag Goose and could get the Bluetail, he'd just need one more bird over John and it would be a tie! I'd never have thought he would ever come so close to John again!

And I'm suprised that Christian and Laura still haven't bot the Dovekie. Can't be that difficult?!

Maffong

Doesn't look like a wild bird to me either. Way too bulky and something about the plumage throws me off, though I can't quite point my finger at it

Maffong

According to Paul's last comparison post on December 23rd, I think that is a species John has, but Olaf still needs. I am not sure about Laura or Christian.

Jan in MT

Thanks, Jan.

Maffong's scenario where Olaf ties John in the final days (hours?) ... would make for quite a nailbiter, wouldn't it.

I just read in Facebook that Olaf has other problems. If I understood correctly, then there seems to be a power shortage at his home and he can't really geht away from there. Quite unfortunate

Maffong

also a potential Long-billed Murrelet in Massachusetts

And yeah...Olaf unfortunately calls home in the one area of the US that is currently facing severe weather problems.

Per eBird: Christian got the Bluetail for an unexpected "real" #750.
EDIT: And Laura just got the Common Shelducks! 759+3

Joe

Last edited:
wild? Greylag Goose, RI, USA

Folks,

Opinions have been various regarding the wildness of the Greylag Goose currently wintering in Rhode Island. The photo that the "clearly domestic" camp seem to refer to seems pretty darn misleading when one looks at other photos. I found the photos in the linked checklist to be pretty encouraging as far as this potentially being a genuine vagrant. What do you all think?(http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33250333)

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back