• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aberdovey/Aberdyfi (1 Viewer)

Steve T

I will be spending 4 nights in Aberdyfi/dovey from 19th April, next week that is. Are there any specific sites I should visit. I can't find any info in BF,which is surprising. It seems to have a good crooss section of habitat, so here's hoping. Thanks in advance.
Steve

Steve T said:
I will be spending 4 nights in Aberdyfi/dovey from 19th April, next week that is. Are there any specific sites I should visit. I can't find any info in BF,which is surprising. It seems to have a good crooss section of habitat, so here's hoping. Thanks in advance.
Steve

The RSPB's Ynys-hir Reserve is close by at SN679964. A little further south at Cross Inn Forest SN570651 a Great Grey Shrike has been present for about a week. Of course, keep your eyes-peeled for red kites as you travel to Aberdyfi.

Trealaw Boy
Thanks for that, I was just looking up Ynis-hir on the RSPB site but it doesn't give much info except facilities etc. still, it looks worth a visit, and it's close. The Kites would be great, it would save me driving to Gigrin. A Great Grey Shrike would be brilliant, I'll keep my fingers crossed, THANKS
Steve

Steve T said:
Trealaw Boy
Thanks for that, I was just looking up Ynis-hir on the RSPB site but it doesn't give much info except facilities etc. still, it looks worth a visit, and it's close. The Kites would be great, it would save me driving to Gigrin. A Great Grey Shrike would be brilliant, I'll keep my fingers crossed, THANKS
Steve

A site for red kites that is not too far from Aberdyfi is Bwlch Nant-yr-Arian Forestry Visitor Centre at SN718813.

A site for red kites that is not too far from Aberdyfi is Bwlch Nant-yr-Arian Forestry Visitor Centre at SN718813.

As a regular visitor to Aberdyfi I can't recommend the above site too highly - you'll get great views of the kites here.

Closer to Aberdfi itself, try Aber Dyssinni near Tywyn, 4 miles to the north. The rivermouth is good for Terns (usually Sandwich) and waders (try scoping the rocky beach on the north shore) - Early is best as there can be disturbance from dog walkers and fishermen. The lake inland (Broad Water)can hold a good variety of widfowl and waders depending on the amount of disturbance. Kite, Peregrine and Raven are regular here too. The sea should have Eider and possible Divers whils offshore there will be Manx Shearwater and Gannet depending on the weather. Skuas are sometimes seen but usually later in the year.

Inland, Craig-y-Deryn (sorry my Welsh spelling is awful) or Bird Rock as it is called holds Chough, Peregrine and Cormorant.

Red-breasted Merganser are common on the Dyfi estuary, as are the commoner waders. On the far side of the Dyfi (but you'd need to drive round) Ynys Las is good for seabirds and the inland Borth Bog area can hold Water Pipit, Raptors and passage birds such as Whimbrel and Whinchat.

Dolgoch Falls, inland from Tywyn is typical Welsh oak woodland with Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warbler and Tree Pipit as well as Dipper, Grey Wagtail and the usual woodland birds, you might be too early for some of the migrants but any of the woodlands round about can be as good.

Aberdyfi is a beatiful spot in its own right - the birds will just enhance it! Watch for the gulls and Jackdaws going up in a panic - it can mean Buzzard, Kite or if you are lucky Osprey flying overhead.

(If you have the time and money try the food at the Penhelig Arms - it isn't cheap but the bar snacks emulate the restaurant and can be fantastic! You can sit outside and watch the birds on the estuary from the wall)

Feel free to PM me if you need any other help.

Last edited:
Once again, I make a simple inquiry and gets lots of info. It may be too early for migrants, but I'm hoping to make up for that at Janes RR minimeet.
Rob, Trealaw Boy thank you
Steve

Steve,

No problem, and good luck!

Whimbrel, Scaup, Merlin and Grasshopper Warbler all reported today from either Ynys Las or Borth Bog

Rob, Trealaw boy,
I did pretty well for me, and we had a good relaxing break as well.

Aberdyfi is an interesting place, and pretty. My better half was happy walking the beach while I was scanning the dunes. That is where I had my first ever glimpse of a Peregrine hunting, I assume it was at the end of the chase because after passing within twenty yards of me at perhaps 20 feet in height, it pulled up and flew slowly away gaining height towards the hills, then banked over and gave chase to something else. All of this lasted no more than 30 seconds. Concentrated entertainment.
Ynis hir is a great little reserve, very pleasant to walk round and very helpfull staff, I should have spent more time there.
Bird Rock is quite dramatic, I am pretty certain that I saw my first ever Choughs, they had that flight silhuette you see in the books, wings tucked in performing short dives, and looking like they do it for fun. Seeing them next to the Ravens was a good reminder of how big Ravens can be.
The list is from very sketchy notes made hours later sometimes, and omits lots of common birds at the feeders and around the village.

Meadow pipit
Skylark
Peregrine
Kestrel
Oyster catcher
Common Sandpiper ?
Chiffchaff
Common Gull
Herring Gull
BBG
LBBG ?
Terns .... Common or Sandwich ?
Cormorant
Pied Wagtail
Red Kite only one !!!!!
Raven
Chough ?
Jackdaw 1000s
Linnets 40 ?
Sand Martin
House Martin
Swallow
Pied flycatcher a first, and this one was so close i couldn't use bins
Spotted Fly
Wood warbler ??
Blackcap
Redstart
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Buzzard so close it filled the scope and sat preening for 20 mins
There will be lots more that I didn't know I was looking at, if that makes sense, especially sea birds and pipits etc. etc. but there are some real gems in that list for me, and it was great to be given so many pointers from you such as Ynis hir, Bird rock and Dolgoch Falls. They were good places to visit as well as to bird.
We shall certainly be visiting Aberdyfi again.
Steve

Wonderful... but if you saw choughs you'd be quite certain. There are very many crows around bird rock, too - but the choughs behaviour is quite distinctive and their call is wonderful to hear. Ynis-Hir is a lovely reserve for sure not only for birds but moths and reptiles, too, if you're lucky. lovely pub just down the main road, too - and the restaurant on the road in to the reserve has just won a top award.

Wonderful... but if you saw choughs you'd be quite certain. There are very many crows around bird rock, too - but the choughs behaviour is quite distinctive and their call is wonderful to hear. Ynis-Hir is a lovely reserve for sure not only for birds but moths and reptiles, too, if you're lucky. Did you find that lovely pub just down the main road? And the restaurant on the private road to the reserve has just won a top award.

Steve T

Glad you had a good time - and a good selection of birds too! I fell in love with the area over a few years of family holidays there - and have seen Peregrine just a you describe hunting along the dunes!

Don't tell everyone so as not to make the place too popular!

Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, but straight after my last post we went to the Lakes.
Imagine this..... the sun is shining, it's actually warm, the glass of beer is half full, or half empty, depending on the mood, you're wearing shorts and no socks, ( yes this is somewhere in the Lake District ), you're reclining on the lounger which puts your head about three feet from the feeder, and after 5 minutes a male siskin arrives and starts to flick the seed all over the place, aren't they messy eaters, perhaps they are on a bonus from the chaffinches who clear up after them. He is joined by a female who does the same thing while making a quiet "see see" noise all the time. This kept my wife spellbound, and covered in seed, for about 10 mins. I happened to be 10 feet away and seed free. We were on the recliners because we had just walked to Aira Force, from Watermillock, this must be one of the finest 4 mile low level ( 800 ft-ish ) walks in the lakes, fantastic views of thebest lake of all, and a decent cafe at the car park or better still a pub at Dockray. the first mile or so produced buzzard, raven, peregrine, warblers ( all the warblers were against the sun, so couldn't tell willow or wood, I don't know their songs ) a female stonechat making a racket, joined by a male with a huge black grub or caterpilar, what is it about stonechats, they don't seem to mind how close you are, we saw 5 or 6 that day and they all seem to carry on as if we were'nt there.
Sorry I've gone off thread there, my wife is always accusing me of that. Aberdyfi was brilliant, yes we found the pub but I was reminded that we were self catering so......it's back to the apartment for tortelini....mmmm. Shame is, the pub is a lovely stroll from the apartment down a quiet footpath which brings you to the upper terrace of the pub. Still maybe next time, and there will be a next time.

Scampo
I'm pretty certain of chough. I've not seen crows, jackdaws or rooks fly like that. I'd like to return to bird rock some day, it's quite something.
Steve

Steve T,

My sister and brother-in-law just back from Aberdyfi - they too had excellent flight views of the Choughs at Bird Rock this weekend.

Glad you enjoyed it - sounds like you were in the Holiday Village - one of my favourite spots with excellent views over the estuary. We've had Chough and Kite over the appartments there and coincedently, Siskins on the nut feeders we put up!

Steve T said:
Scampo
I'm pretty certain of chough. I've not seen crows, jackdaws or rooks fly like that. I'd like to return to bird rock some day, it's quite something.
Steve
Well - you had a good time, for sure. Hope the tortellini was tasty!

Yes - the chough has a great style of flight. I wasn't doubting your observation, by the way!

Spent today at Aberdyfi with the family. Wasn't rally birding but spotted the following
Meadow Pipit
Kestrel
Chiffchaff
Oystercatcher
Buzzard
Red Kite
Jackdaw
Rook
Goldfinch
Heard Curlew a little further up the estuary opposite Ynys Hir.

The spring flowers are so much more advanced than in Staffordshire. Spotted my first Comma's, a Cabbage White and several bees.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back