• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acadian or Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

steveb108

United States
I was watching Yellow-rumped Warblers in a tree when a flycatcher flew in. I got several shots before it flew away, thinking it was a Least given the eye-ring. Using my phone, I took pics off the back display on the camera and ran them through Merlin, which quickly called it a Yellow-bellied. Surprised, I played the calls of the YBFL and the bird flew right in. This convinced me it was actually a YBFL. However, an outstanding birder said the bill was too big and the empid was likely an Acadian. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Pics taken on 9/28/23, Rockville, MD, where the YBFL is considered a rarity.

Attachments

• YellowbelliedFlycatcher209282023NM Clear37.jpg
    YellowbelliedFlycatcher209282023NM Clear37.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 36
  • YellowbelliedFlycatcher309282023NM Clear37.jpg
    YellowbelliedFlycatcher309282023NM Clear37.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 36
I'd say Acadian as well. Note thin eyering, peaked head, big bill, overall body shape not compact or petite like Yellow-bellied. Also the yellow on the underparts is not very strong, I would expect a deeper, darker yellow for Yellow-bellied, but not sure if that is a very good field mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back