• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for binocular choice for eyeglass use (1 Viewer)

Hello pigmode. For me, the Meopro HD's 16mm eye relief works out just right for me and my glasses with the eyecups fully retracted. I don't have the 8x32 ELSV, but I do have the 8.5x42 and 10x32 versions, which both have a stated 20mm eye relief. For the 8.5x, the 1st intermediate stop on the eyecups works best, for the 10x somewhere between fully retracted and the 1st intermediate stop works best. If I use either SV with the eyecups fully retracted I tend to get a bit of blackout on the edges. It's just a matter of determining where you need the eyecups placed to make the view most comfortable.

In the end I chose the 7x42 UV HD+. This mainly for its viewing ease, and compatible eye relief. The 8x32 ELSV are now in transit to Eagle Optics, who were very helpful in my trials to find a well fit binocular. I'll admit to missing the ergonomics of the ELSV's double-hinge form factor, and its of course its lighter weight but viewing needs first. I hardly have anything to compare with, but that might be a good thing!

All of my comparisons were done on the front porch, so finally off to the field!

In the end I chose the 7x42 UV HD+. This mainly for its viewing ease, and compatible eye relief. The 8x32 ELSV are now in transit to Eagle Optics, who were very helpful in my trials to find a well fit binocular. I'll admit to missing the ergonomics of the ELSV's double-hinge form factor, and its of course its lighter weight but viewing needs first. I hardly have anything to compare with, but that might be a good thing!

All of my comparisons were done on the front porch, so finally off to the field!

Congrats and enjoy your days out with your new Ultravid.
I have this bino for the same reason (among others) - great with glasses and a beautiful no fuss comfortable view. It has become my fav all time bino.

Congrats and enjoy your days out with your new Ultravid.
I have this bino for the same reason (among others) - great with glasses and a beautiful no fuss comfortable view. It has become my fav all time bino.

Thanks. Although I'm sure eye relief was a factor, guess I forgot to mention one of the main criterions for my choice, and that would be (drum roll) use with glasses. With the Leica panning, which I formally had issues 50% of the time, is a more trouble free operation now.

Thanks. Although I'm sure eye relief was a factor, guess I forgot to mention one of the main criterions for my choice, and that would be (drum roll) use with glasses. With the Leica panning, which I formally had issues 50% of the time, is a more trouble free operation now.

I've had it for a full year now (this month) and I can't think of anything I don't like about it ... I'm overall very satisfied. It really was the best bino purchase I made so far.
The focus is still nice and smooth as it was out of the box, the view is great and I really like the fit/feel in the hand.
I guess a few ounces lighter would make it practically perfect ... we can't have it all.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back