• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice Needed: Injured Great Horned Owl in my yard - York, PA, USA (1 Viewer)

Hello, all. This morning we found an injured adult Great Horned Owl in our yard. I contacted the closest wildlife rehabilitation center in the area and am waiting to hear back.

I found conflicting advice online about what steps I should take at the moment. It appears to have an injured wing but I cannot say for sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3D8AD4C4-8ECE-41CA-914E-8DFDF21A59C5.jpeg

Just keep an eye on it. If you have dogs then I would keep them inside. I would not try to handle it. If it feels threatened it could lash out and cause you harm. If the wildlife rehab people are coming I would leave it to them.

Just keep an eye on it. If you have dogs then I would keep them inside. I would not try to handle it. If it feels threatened it could lash out and cause you harm. If the wildlife rehab people are coming I would leave it to them.
Thanks. That was my first instinct, too. I was planning to walk the dog instead of letting her out. It seems like the Wildlife rehab people don't do pickups. I am trying to figure out the best way to transport it.

ask the wildlife rehab people how to transport the owl.

I once brought an injured mourning dove up to the wild bird rehab in my area.
They told me to pick it up and put it in a cardboard box and cover the box.
I lined the bottom of the box with a t-shirt. I poked some little holes in the top of the box for ventilation. Picking the bird up was the hard part. Naturally, the Dove didn’t want to be handled. Once in the box the bird calmed down and was pretty quiet during the drive up.

Apart from wearing, if possible, thick gardening gloves (or the like), it's generally best to use a large towel to scoop them up in.

Putting it over the head seems to immediately calm them down.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back