• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Habicht please. (1 Viewer)

Hola,
No not seriously but I have used them to observe the sky at night and they have been just fine. I use my GPO/Geco 8x50's with the AK prisms and mount them on a tripod if I want to do real astro or my Opticron MM4 77 scope.
Pat , do you mean the 8x56 GPO? Those have the AK prisms , the 8.5x50 use the SP prism I believe.

Paul

The Habicht 7x42 is my dedicated low light binoculars and beat just about anything I’ve tried. Something very , very close that I just recently acquired without all the negatives that come with the Habicht’s , is the Vortex UHD in 8x42. These and the Zeiss FL’s are bar far the brightest two 42mm binoculars I’ve tried, and I’ve tried most all of the top ones from Zeiss , Swaro , Nikon and Leica. These are simply amazing. A very sharp wide FOV with excellent edge correction, great panning , nice balance in the hands, beautiful but a very slow focuser.

Paul

The Habicht 7x42 is my dedicated low light binoculars and beat just about anything I’ve tried. Something very , very close that I just recently acquired without all the negatives that come with the Habicht’s , is the Vortex UHD in 8x42. These and the Zeiss FL’s are bar far the brightest two 42mm binoculars I’ve tried, and I’ve tried most all of the top ones from Zeiss , Swaro , Nikon and Leica. These are simply amazing. A very sharp wide FOV with excellent edge correction, great panning , nice balance in the hands, beautiful but a very slow focuser.

Paul
I agree grasshopper. That is why I picked up a used Zeiss FL 8x42. It is one of the brightest 8x42 mm binoculars I have tried and one of the best for CA control. I am sensitive to CA. I haven't tried the Razor UHD 8x42, but I have tried the Razor UHD 10x50, and it was one of the brightest 10x50's I have seen. I think the Razor UHD is better than the Swarovski EL and less expensive. The Habicht 7x42 is probably the brightest binocular I have used, but the narrow FOV always gets to me. The Zeiss FL 8x42 is almost as bright, and it has a wider FOV and an easier focuser.

If we're talking about binos that work for lowlight I would like to throw the turic 10x42 into the ring. I'm continually impressed how good they are in low light, especially the small details and textures that can be seen. During the day they are prone to CA but never see any at night. I think for $700 they're a steal.

Edit: Also they have a 10x50 version of their binos so those might be even better.

If we're talking about binos that work for lowlight I would like to throw the turic 10x42 into the ring. I'm continually impressed how good they are in low light, especially the small details and textures that can be seen. During the day they are prone to CA but never see any at night. I think for $700 they're a steal.

Edit: Also they have a 10x50 version of their binos so those might be even better.
Do you mean the Tract Toric 10x42? I agree, they are an excellent value for the money. The 10x50 would no doubt be better but heavier. Interesting that yours show CA. Are they the newer UHD version with Schott glass?

Do you mean the Tract Toric 10x42? I agree, they are an excellent value for the money. The 10x50 would no doubt be better but heavier. Interesting that yours show CA. Are they the newer UHD version with Schott glass?
Yes, the UHD ones. I forgot they even had the 10x50. It's only around 32oz and their 12.5x50 is around 33oz. So it sounds like the same binocular.

Honestly, considering how good the 42mm are, especially at night, I'm really curious what the 50mm could do. I don't know what OP's limit is for binocular weight and shakes but maybe one of the turic's could be an alternative for them. As well as a more sizeable upgrade from their 8x32 binos. A 32mm and a 50mm sounds like a more diverse combo.

Last edited:
Pat , do you mean the 8x56 GPO? Those have the AK prisms , the 8.5x50 use the SP prism I believe.

Paul
I did mean 56 and have edited my post, thank you!

(I blame 35 years of jumping out of perfectly serviceable aircraft and landing mostly on my head plus…..I had just managed to hide the Curio box from my beloved who was engrossed in her new hobby of chainsaw carving and my thoughts were more on self preservation than accuracy!).😀

Paul
I agree
Those Vortex UHD's are superb....

(I blame 35 years of jumping out of perfectly serviceable aircraft and landing mostly on my head plus…..I had just managed to hide the Curio box from my beloved who was engrossed in her new hobby of chainsaw carving and my thoughts were more on self preservation than accuracy!).😀
🙏🏼 My kind of people 😆

I always keep it undercover from my wife when I buy another pair of binoculars. I make sure I delete all the tracking notices from UPS and I try to catch the UPS delivery man before he rings the door bell and I then sneak them into the house undercover and hide them in the closet until my wife is not around, and I can safely open them without her even knowing I bought yet another pair of binoculars! HaHa! :ROFLMAO:

I always keep it undercover from my wife when I buy another pair of binoculars. I make sure I delete all the tracking notices from UPS and I try to catch the UPS delivery man before he rings the door bell and I then sneak them into the house undercover and hide them in the closet until my wife is not around, and I can safely open them without her even knowing I bought yet another pair of binoculars! HaHa! :ROFLMAO:
Maybe PatR's wife and yours might one day enjoy a nice shopping trip together...

Every time I buy a new binocular or any other thing that gives me joy I try to hide it from my significant other as well . My need to share my joy is my downfall :(.

Maybe PatR's wife and yours might one day enjoy a nice shopping trip together...
I was going to hark back to Crocodile Dundee's epic retort when faced with a knife wielding mugger, " Call that a chainsaw? This is a chainsaw..." but her current carving chainsaw is an Echo 2511 with a 10" bar.

But size isn't everything, as the Bishop said to the Actress, and that 10" chain is ideal for close quarter combat and rapid dangly-bits removal rather than that unwieldy beast. As she reminds me, 'one slip of this and you can fill the Contralto vacancy in the local Male Voice Choir so no more binoculars.'

Message received and understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back