• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on one IS binocular with high mag. (1 Viewer)

Granpoli

Spain
Hello,
Some time ago I bought a second-hand Canon 12x36 IS, the spectacular result, ahead of others I have, now I need another pair, also with IS, but I would like a bit more magnification... but not heavy... My shoulders are old, can someone recommend me a good model?
thank you
Poli.

I only have high mag IS Canons, which are significantly heavier than the 12x36 (which I have too).

However, Sig Sauer Zulu6 16x42s are getting some good reports recently, maybe worth a look.

Here is a thread from earlier this year on a higher magnification IS binocular.

Those 16x binoculars (all made by Kamakura Koki of Japan in Japan or China, with various brands sticking their label on them and calling it a day) are very light compared to Canon behemoths. I have the Canon 10x42 L IS and the Kite APC 16x42, and while the Kite lacks ED glass and exhibits chromatic aberration (the Sig Sauer reportedly does not), it is still a better pair for most purposes.

The Fuji TSX 14x40 is supposed to have best in class stabilization, but it is very heavy.

One interesting model is the Nikon Stabilized 10x25, Japan-only but readily available on the auction site. Very small and compact. Uses annoying CR2 batteries, but works with rechargeables (I’ve verified this myself).

Last edited:
It might pay to wait and see what comes out from Birdfair as today is the first day of it.

Yes, I am planning on attending tomorrow Sunday.

The new Sig Sauer Zulu 6 HDX 20x42 seems interesting, but the brand has limited distribution in the UK, AFAIK only Uttings seem to carry them, and not that specific model. This is not something you want to buy sight unseen.

It might pay to wait and see what comes out from Birdfair as today is the first day of it.
Didn't see anything new image stabilised today but wasn't especially looking for it.

Cannon 10x30 is probably the most comfortable to use, good eye cups, handling etc. Cannon 10x42 has probably the best view but not great ergonomics and weight. Kite 16x42 is good for a few reasons, battery life + capacity for spare batteries, high magnification, decent handling and auto off feature, the view isn't great but it's plenty good enough.

Seems too much for handheld use but the 12x NL and 12x50 El are surprisingly capable hand held..

Will

I tried the Fuji 16x28 at Birdfair. Very light. Does not stabilize as well as the heavy TSX1440, but comparable to my Kite APC 16x42. I didn’t find the view a problem, but I really don’t need another bino.

Uttings told me they don’t expect the Sig Sauer Zulu 6 HDX 20x42 in the UK for at least another year due to the distributor.

In your opinión, how is this Kite APC 16x42 for birdwatching?
The Kite APC 16x42 would be superb for long range birding and wildlife watching, but because of the high magnification it is not going to be the best choice for close in birding under canopy or in a lot of trees, say trying to follow warblers. A 7x32 or 7x42 would be better for that because of the much better DOF.

That being said, the SIG Sauer Zulu 6 16x42 is superior to the Kite because it has HD glass and consequently less CA than the Kite, which is important because higher magnification binoculars tend to have more CA than lower magnification binoculars.

Those 16x binoculars (all made by Kamakura Koki of Japan in Japan or China, with various brands sticking their label on them and calling it a day) are very light compared to Canon behemoths. I have the Canon 10x42 L IS and the Kite APC 16x42, and while the Kite lacks ED glass and exhibits chromatic aberration (the Sig Sauer reportedly does not), it is still a better pair for most purposes.

The Fuji TSX 14x40 is supposed to have best in class stabilization, but it is very heavy.

One interesting model is the Nikon Stabilized 10x25, Japan-only but readily available on the auction site. Very small and compact. Uses annoying CR2 batteries, but works with rechargeables (I’ve verified this myself).
Does the nikon is 10x25 work in non-is mode? Besides the batteries requirement. I vaguely recall reading that when it is not on then only one of tubes of the bino is open and able to be used? I can't remember if that was a misunderstanding that was cleared up or not.

Does the nikon is 10x25 work in non-is mode? Besides the batteries requirement. I vaguely recall reading that when it is not on then only one of tubes of the bino is open and able to be used? I can't remember if that was a misunderstanding that was cleared up or not.
No, It doesn't. You are correct in that when it is not on, only one tube is open.

You're correct. The little Nikon IS binoculars work pretty good, but I have moved away from pocket binoculars outside of a Papilio 6.5x21 I have for looking out the kitchen window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back