• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on summer birding plans (Japan and/or Hawaii?)... (1 Viewer)

Mysticete

United States
Hello folks,

Right now I am trying to plan out my summer (or at least, the portion between June 16 to September)

This year I have received an EAPSI summer fellowship to Japan, so I will be spending most of the summer there. I already have the old Mark Brazil birdfinding guide, his new Birds of East Asia field guide, and am a member of the Kantori listserve. I have been doing as much reading up as possible on birding and travel and japan, and will probably be spending every weekend on a birding trip somewhere, including most of the good mainland sites, Izu Islands, and Hokkaido.

My question is;

after my research period is over, (the 25th of August), should I stop in Hawaii on the way back, or should I stay longer and try to make a clean sweep of the endemics. In particular, not going to Hawaii would allow me to visit the Ogasawara Islands for the Bonin Honeyeater, whales, and tropical seabirds; and cover the Ryukyu islands in much more depth, including going after Ryukyu Serpent Eagle, Amami Thrush, and Lidth's Jay.

Hawaii (pros)
More lifers
some highly endangered species
Hawaii is one of the top places I have wanted to bird

More Japan:

Probably cheaper
possibly easier to bird (no restricted access birds
already know I will not be able to afford to go after all the endemics (i.e. Maui endemics and Laysan Duck
no return airfare problems (If I stop in Hawaii I will have to pay the difference in cost from a straight return ticket, which seems to be at minimum 500 dollars
Clean sweep (potentially) of summer specialities

Right now I am leaning toward Japan, but I am very very torn on this, and any opinions would be most appreciated

Looks like you answered it already....if Hawaii is one of the top places you have wanted to bird, do it. Don't waste the opportunity. Each Island has a bit of uniqueness and you will find lifers for sure, as you will in all areas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back