• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AF query? (1 Viewer)

Well you speak as you find, but my experience is pretty much the exact opposite - with the 100-400 mounted my 40D, though less forgiving, results in more keepers than from either of my 30Ds in any light, as long as I put the effort in.

The 40D's AF is, I'm positive, more accurate than the 30D's.

Yes, I get odd pictures that are OOF for no obvious reason, but that used to happen with my 30Ds too, and I honestly don't worry about it.

And, as ever, sharpness not an issue...

Attachments

• muscovy 1f.jpg
    muscovy 1f.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 99
  • pheasant 1f.jpg
    pheasant 1f.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 96
  • swan 2f.jpg
    swan 2f.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 99
  • carrion crow 1f.jpg
    carrion crow 1f.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 90
  • carrion crow 8f.jpg
    carrion crow 8f.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
After reading all this I thought I would just tell you about my experience with these two cameras.

The 30D is an excellent alrounder with all my lenses but my 40D only seems at it's best in very good light, where my 30D is more fogiving.

Using the 40D with the 400 5.6, 100-400, & 500 f4 is very good but not as good as with the 30D from which I always get more keepers.

So in my experience of using these two bodies, I prefer the 30D.
Any thoughts ?
I would echo Keith´s comments. I find the 40D much better than the 30D. I am certainly getting more keepers with the 40D and 400mm f5.6 then I ever did with the 30D (which I still have but rarely use these days). As far as light goes I find that the 40D will focus better/faster than the 30D in low light.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back