• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Grey Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

Check out Lead-coloured race orientalis, pale feather edges and obvious, white alula as here.
Sorry which taxonomy is that from (and which species)?

There's no subspecies with that name under African Grey fly or Ashy flycatcher in either IOC or Clements, at least not in the Oct '22 and 13.2 eds respectively.

Sorry which taxonomy is that from (and which species)?

There's no subspecies with that name under African Grey fly or Ashy flycatcher in either IOC or Clements, at least not in the Oct '22 and 13.2 eds respectively.
Because it's neither of those species if it is Lead-coloured.

Ashy, should be much colder in appearance and without the pale feather edges whilst the alula is also a lot, less obvious.

Check out Lead-coloured race orientalis, pale feather edges and obvious, white alula as here.
Hmm. Have you a reference for the alula? Both seem to have this although perhaps more often obvious on the tit-fly. Fanshawe says white outer tail feathers distinguish the latter. I'd note:

Shorter tail better for ashy
No apparent white outer tail feathers better for ashy
Strong white eye ring arcs are better for tit-fly
pale feather edges better for tit-fly (but variable by race)
all dark bill perhaps better for tit-fly

Fanshawe talks about posture but more or less all the ebird photos are of similar stances.

(I should note I moved this image away from the Opus African Grey Flycatcher page as it was clearly not that. It's currently on the Ashy fly page, but perhaps safest is to remove it from there and place in incertis sedis?

...But keen to hear arguments if we think we can identify it unequivocally.)

Hmm. Have you a reference for the alula? Both seem to have this although perhaps more often obvious on the tit-fly. Fanshawe says white outer tail feathers distinguish the latter. I'd note:
Well, no but it's illustrated as being glaringly, obvious in the field guide as it is in this particular individual.

Attachments

• Tit fly.jpg
    Tit fly.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
(I should note I moved this image away from the Opus African Grey Flycatcher page as it was clearly not that. It's currently on the Ashy fly page, but perhaps safest is to remove it from there and place in incertis sedis?

...But keen to hear arguments if we think we can identify it unequivocally.)
Aside from your points already made which fall, percentage wise in favour of Tit, the black, loral line is quite wide and diffuse, supposed be narrow in Ashy and I've have no issue with calling it Tit if it were on my trip list.

Last edited:
Well, no but it's illustrated as being glaringly, obvious in the field guide as it is in this particular individual.
The latest Fanshawe ed is a bit different:
1000007941.jpg

We see no hint of alula here.

Equivalent ashy:
1000007942.jpg
However, ebird images show there's more overlap than these suggest

Sorry to prolong but I think this is valuable discussion. Here's the ashy fly from birds south of the sahel. To me it looks like the first image posted, with very strong black loral stripe1000007943.jpg

I think the bird in the OP is overall, much, browner than this.

The bird in this last post is confusing because the underparts are illustrated as being much browner than they should be.

This is what Ashy should look like IMHO Ashy Flycatcher

Users who are viewing this thread

Back