• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Age of Hen Harrier, Sweden (1 Viewer)

Djerf

Dear all,

This pic of a Hen (IOC) Harrier (Circus cyaneus cyaneus) was taken the day before at quite a distance. I'm quite sure it's a 2nd cy bird (probably a female, I think I discern a dark iris) but would appreciate your comments/confirmation on the bird's age as far as possible judging from these pictures.

Thanks!

Joakim

Attachments

• bla2.jpg
    bla2.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 106

I can't really see eye colour in the pics (on my phone). It looks like an adult female to me. The secondaries on the underwing have pale bars, the underparts have adult streaking and the collar is adult type. A 2cy would also show some signs of moult too.

Thank you tittletattler,
About the eye colour I enlarged the pics maximum before merging the attachment. The missing hp on the right wing is maybe a sign of moult? The pale bars on the secondaries on the underwing is one reason for me asking this forum. Could it be a result of bleaching (2nd cy) or proof of age (adult)?

All the best

Joakim

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back