• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ageing a black redstart, Orkney, UK (1 Viewer)

Mark Lew1s

My real name is Mark Lewis
I had this female type black redstart on Sanday, Orkney the other day. I didn't notice in the field, but my photos show it has quite a well defined gape. I guess my questions are:

Can 2cy/adult birds show a gape like this?
Do black redstarts breed early enough on the continent for a juv to arrive in Orkney in late May?

I've had clearly juv black redstarts on research vessels in the central North Sea in early July, but this is a good 6 weeks earlier than that...

Attachments

• DSC_0902.jpg
    DSC_0902.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 61
1 Don't know
2 I'd say definitely not.

Can't say I've ever noticed the brown ear coverts either, maybe it's last years young?

A

All Black Redstarts have yellow c.o.m., no matter how old they are, but you need a very good photo, or have the bird in your hand to tell:

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures/birds_user_uploads/34144_UU_23028_HUSROeDSTJERT.jpg

Definitely not a juvenile (the loose structured feathers of a juvenile would be easy to spot on this good photo). Here a juvenile:

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=22409

Looks like a perfectly normal 2cy+ female type (the angle doesn't allow a clear view of the wing coverts needed for possible ageing beyond this).

Peter

Last edited:
It's dark outside Mark, but I'll have a look at our breeding pair in the morning, the male is a 2CY.
In Haute-Savoie, dates of first fledged young were 26 May 2013, 6 May 2014 and 6 May 2015.
Doh! Peter had the answer for you already, I bow to the Danish guru!
Cheers,

Richard

Last edited:
Brilliant - thanks Richard. I did wonder if it would be possible for a continental juv to get here this early and from your dates it seems like it might be possible - but this isn't one.

I did wonder if it would be possible for a continental juv to get here this early and from your dates it seems like it might be possible - but this isn't one.

I suspect it would take a lot more than 2-3 weeks from fledging for a chick to have sufficient strength to do a North Sea crossing. More like 2-3 months, probably.

So the one I had in early July in the middle of the North Sea fledged in April?

I reckon that there are lots of birds that undertake long migrations very young. I see sedge warbler fledgelings in late July and they're all but gone by late august.

... and 6 May 2015.

So the one I had in early July in the middle of the North Sea fledged in April?

I reckon that there are lots of birds that undertake long migrations very young. I see sedge warbler fledgelings in late July and they're all but gone by late august.

Early May to early July = 2 months, as I said ;) (and late July to late Aug for those Sedgies also OK, that's also 2 to 3 months after fledging)

But early May fledging, to late May cross-North Sea arrival, I still reckon is not feasible.

Well, I take issue with late July to late August being 2 to 3 months but other than that we're both just speculating really!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back