• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large gull ID, East Midlands UK (1 Viewer)

neutrino

Seen at the end of March 2022 at a local nature reserve.
Initially interested due to darker mantle, I would appreciate any opinions on this bird (Argentatus or michahellis?). Clean headed, the covert markings were black wedges in the field, with the bird showing a pale clean underwing. No apparent mirror on P10, with a distinct black band across P5, the bird in flight had an clean adult looking mantle with the appearance of dark black outer primaries. P10-P6 had small white (worn) tips. Legs appeared pale and washed out with a hint of yellow.

I keep returning to this bird, intrigued by the id and ageing of this large gull. Is this argentatus or michahellis and potentially aged as a mature 2nd cycle bird or early 3rd cycle? Any guidance and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1860C46A-E19D-4F3C-B8B0-B05E1F761B36.jpeg
    1860C46A-E19D-4F3C-B8B0-B05E1F761B36.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 00338D80-0F88-4F7B-9D65-BE25F3DCA78E.jpeg
    00338D80-0F88-4F7B-9D65-BE25F3DCA78E.jpeg
    706.6 KB · Views: 96
  • F1CB3734-FAF4-485A-AA6E-002EF4750C03.jpeg
    F1CB3734-FAF4-485A-AA6E-002EF4750C03.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 504AAA91-7347-4A81-A24B-08AB90B0631D.png
    504AAA91-7347-4A81-A24B-08AB90B0631D.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 79
  • 7F309486-601C-439E-81EA-3C7CEC67B6B5.jpeg
    7F309486-601C-439E-81EA-3C7CEC67B6B5.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 91
  • EBD35621-A26F-4635-9B39-82D2C9FF3CC8.jpeg
    EBD35621-A26F-4635-9B39-82D2C9FF3CC8.jpeg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 101
Hello,
interesting bird. Thanks for sharing (and for the expert to comment and help us).
I would expect such an mature looking Gull to show a visible deep red eye-ring and a brighter bill in a YLG

Further thoughts:
  • it appears to be a quite long legged bird in picture 6
  • I agree with you, it has quite extensive black in the primaries for a HG (but within variation)
  • It has much white in the immature-type tertials for a YLG (right or wrong? I hope for more comments. Thanks). And it has replaced at least one (more?) to an adult type one.
  • with much whishfull thinking, I see a narrow bill. Does this indicate Caspian Gull influnce? No, I dont think so. But I hope for expert comments, if this is an hybrid. Thanks.

Does this mean its a 3 cycle Herring Gull for me? No, its a quest for more comments. Thanks!

It is a interesting bird.
HGs can have pale yellow legs normally from the more northern /eastern areas indicating HG tatus, but this bird has the round head of HG tues or is it a small fem HG tatus?
Recently recorded breeding between all HGs & YLG Plus Caspian is happening, so DNA or ringed birds will one day be the order of the day!:oops::rolleyes::cry:
Small round head & longwings of HG tues, colour of coverts in the darker end of HG tues but in one photo pale as HG tues(taking into account the photo settings) & HG tues at that time of year (breeding) can have yellowish legs I have seen a some!
YLG at the same time of year, the legs are proper yellow.

Mixed blood, HG tues. Doesn't look heavier enough for HG tatus for me:), YLG tough one.:cautious:(y)

Hello Keeplooking,

first and important: thanks for commenting.

I hope this doesnt come out as an offense (you know), but I have to agree with Butty. Please note, that especially in an international forum with non-native speakers, choosing the right sentences is helpful.
At least I as a non-native speaker can only guess that you identified the bird as a YLG and struggle to place the features you mentioned in the right context.

Again: no offence, just a polite and friendly meant quest. You know I am very grateful for detailed comments, so I can learn. Thanks!

Thanks Wheatearlp for clearing that up.
Makes the text slightly better understandable to me, but I am still puzzled.

Therefore again: no offence, just a polite and friendly meant quest. You know I am very grateful for detailed comments, so I can learn. Thanks!

It is a interesting bird.
HGs can have pale yellow legs normally from the more northern /eastern areas indicating HG tatus, but this bird has the round head of HG tues or is it a small fem HG tatus?
Recently recorded breeding between all HGs & YLG Plus Caspian is happening, so DNA or ringed birds will one day be the order of the day!:oops::rolleyes::cry:
Small round head & longwings of HG tues, colour of coverts in the darker end of HG tues but in one photo pale as HG tues(taking into account the photo settings) & HG tues at that time of year (breeding) can have yellowish legs I have seen a some!
YLG at the same time of year, the legs are proper yellow.

Mixed blood, HG tues. Doesn't look heavier enough for HG tatus for me:), YLG tough one.:cautious:(y)
I was considering the options at time of writing & I personally, based on your photos consider it a European Herring Gull Argenteus😉😉 hope my opinion is useful 🤓

Hello again Keeplooking,

yes it is. Thanks for expanding/explaining your comment.

and after it worked and I assume you didnt regarded my comment as an offence, may I ask that you explain the features of this bird in relation to the two subspecies of Herring Gull argenteus and argentatus ?

I assume, that you wrote, that an older immature YLG should have brighter yellow legs= dull/fleshy/washed leg colour is a feature of "yellow legged"-HG. Is that right?

Yes, the reason for my confusion might well be that I am a non-native speaker:
Therefore again: no offence, just a polite and friendly meant quest. You know I am very grateful for detailed comments, so I can learn. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back