• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Airlines and Tripods (1 Viewer)

Ian B

Does anyone have any recent experience of Airlines views on taking scopes and tripods on as hand baggage ? I am travelling on a domestic BA flight later this week and really dont want to have to check my cf tripod into the hold only for it to reappear a shattered mess !

Thanks

Ian

Last edited:
Ian B said:
Does anyone have any recent experience of Airlines views on taking scopes and tripods on as hand baggage ? I am travelling on a domestic BA flight later this week and really dont want to have to check my cf tripod into the hold only for it to reappear a shattered mess !

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

No personal experience myself, but it might be worth reading this:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24200&highlight=baggage

Richard

We travelled to Spain earlier this year. We both put our carbon fibre tripods in our suitcases, padded with clothes, and carried scope, bins and camera + lenses as hand luggage. No damage done at all.

Ian

I travelled earlier this year with my scope, tripod, bins, camcorder and camera in hand luggage with no problems. It wasn't even questioned when it went through x ray.

Beware, however, that if you do put it in the hold whilst it may not get damaged it stands a good chance of being stolen. It is apparently quite common to the point where people steal to order. I have first hand experience of this and will never again put valuables in luggage to go in the hold.

Have a good flight.

Graeme.

Hi Ian

I regularly take a backpack with the tripod attached to the side of it. Inside is a pile of camera gear including a few heavy lenses. On domestic flights economy and business I've never had a problem. If you are however flying anywhere particularly rural or on prop planes (Dash-8 etc) be aware of reduced allowances.

Kind regards
Adrian

Thanks for all your replies. I am going to try to take the pod in hand I'll let you know how I get on !

Ian

In June I took a carbon fibre one in the hold luggage and the scope in the cabin with no questions asked.

Just came back from Hanoi. After taking the tripod without any hassles from Saigon to Hanoi, I was turned back on the return leg, the tripod being considered a "potentially dangerous weapon". All pleading was to no avail, so I had to check it in. Luckily, it came out undamaged on the other sider (except a dozen or so "fragile" stickers.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back