• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All about the Goldfinches (2 Viewers)

Hi Sue

Maybe the birds up here in freezing West Yorkshire are not so shy and like a bit of showing off. ;)

I would love to take some pictures but they usually do this at the end of the garden in the trees and my zoom on my digital camera isn't strong enough to get it close. Neither do the goldies stay still for long enough when doing there little dance. I'm not the best with a digital camera. I can take good photos when use my SLR with zoom but then the pics are not digital. I have tried digiscoping with our small astronomical telescope which works quite well. Hopefully next week keeping fingers firmly crossed if Andy gets his new job we will be able to get a birding scope. I know already what I want and just waiting for the 'yes' word from Andy. :bounce:

I have taken some pictures I would like to post on here but I can't get them down to the right pixel size without loosing resolution in Paint Shop Pro. I could really do with some advice on this.

So hoping with my new scope ??? maybe I'll be able to get some shots of the goldies doing the business. ;) If they stay still long enough maybe. o:)

Liebchen

Hi Liebchen,

I can easily understand what you mean about the distance of the Goldies, but don't worry too much as I just wondered. Having said that, if you have ANY photos you wish to share with us all, then we'd love to see them!! :-O

To get my photos to the required size,without a lot of messing about I always send them off to "my own e-mail address" (send them to come back to me). As soon as I click on 'send' I get a message box appear that asks 'if I wish to send as the full size or half of the size', I always click on 'send as half', that way they come back in at the perfect size.

I then save them to a different area with a "1" or "a" after the title.

Try that Liebchen and see how you go, if it doesn't work, then click on my name and send an e-mail (via BForum) and I'll see what I can do then, but we'll make sure it happens one way or the other so don't worry about it.

Good luck! Sue

Sue & Terry said:
To get my photos to the required size,without a lot of messing about I always send them off to "my own e-mail address" (send them to come back to me). As soon as I click on 'send' I get a message box appear that asks 'if I wish to send as the full size or half of the size', I always click on 'send as half', that way they come back in at the perfect size.
Now why didn't I think of that!!!!!
What a good idea!!!! :t:
I always fiddle about with pixels before saving them to a different folder etc,etc!!
Thanks for the tip my friend!!

Thank you so much for this brilliant tip Sue!

I will give it a go and see what happens. Watch this space!!

Liebchen

Ruth Daniel said:
Now why didn't I think of that!!!!!
What a good idea!!!! :t:
I always fiddle about with pixels before saving them to a different folder etc,etc!!
Thanks for the tip my friend!!

Hi Ruth,

Glad I was able to help, hope it works for you, though see no reason why not. So, are you going to put your Duck one on here then????? :'D 3:) |8.|............thought not!!!

Hi Sue,
Just tried to re-size this using your theory and (wait while I hit the edit button...lol) ......it worked!!!!
That was digi-scoped too Liebchen.

Last edited:
Well the e-mail bit didn't work. Mine just uploaded the whole file.

So I tried to reduce size again without altering the resolution. By looking at the size of photos that other have attached I shrunk mine down to the same size and I think it has worked!

Not a goldie but the squirrel that regularly visits and comes right up to the patio doors.

Got plenty more photos!! Watch this space again. :-O

Liebchen

Ruth Daniel said:
Hi Sue,
Just tried to re-size this using your theory and (wait while I hit the edit button...lol) ......it worked!!!!
That was digi-scoped too Liebchen.

Hi Ruth,

That seems rather small if you compare it with any of mine on the site. Have a look at my 'Birthday Treat' thread photos and compare them.

Sue & Terry said:
Hi Ruth,

That seems rather small if you compare it with any of mine on the site. Have a look at my 'Birthday Treat' thread photos and compare them.
Mmmmm yes you're right.
I must have done something wrong???? :-C
Had a look at yours and mine are 1/2 as small again?????? 20kb as oppossed to 40kb?????
I'll have to get Howard on the job as it's beyond me at the mo!!!! :-C
Maybe it's cos it was digi-scoped?????

Last edited:
There's a lot been going on here this afternoon. Love that Lapwing picture - such artistic colours!
As for getting the pixel size right, well I'm no expert on photographic programs and only use the simple ones that came with the hardware. What I found to be the easiest method was to click on 'Edit' then 'Image' or in the other program just 'Image Size' (the programs arrange things differently). The pixel measurements come up, and I delete the number along the longest side, and then substitute it for 800. The other side is automatically reduced in ratio. Then I save that version as a jpg. It's all quite quick. Hope this helps! Or am I missing something here? Probably got the wrong end of the stick anyway!

Renee Redstart said:
Or am I missing something here? Probably got the wrong end of the stick anyway!
LOL!
No you're not missing anything Renee,I'm having trouble re-sizing photos but have since realised that the Lapwing photo (thanks for your kind comments)had already been re-sized to crop out veinetting (a dark ring around the picture due to digi-scoping)
Thanks for your info/help,
I'll get there one day!!
Best wishes,

Liebchen said:
Well the e-mail bit didn't work. Mine just uploaded the whole file.

So I tried to reduce size again without altering the resolution. By looking at the size of photos that other have attached I shrunk mine down to the same size and I think it has worked!

Not a goldie but the squirrel that regularly visits and comes right up to the patio doors.

Got plenty more photos!! Watch this space again. :-O

Liebchen

Well done Liebchen & Ruth (with the Squirrel one!), that is just about perfect! Whatever you both did has worked out fine, so congratulations to you both!!!

Good to see your Squirrel photos and will look forward to many more!!! :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back