• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fall Migration (1 Viewer)

Scott98

Vanuatu
Anyone else enjoying fall migration season? For me it's the under-rated season for birds. After about 6 weeks of quiet, the action around my forested property in Massachusetts has been amazing over the last week.

I saw my first junco yesterday, nibbling seeds in front of my home office windows. White throated sparrows descended about a week ago, a dozen at a time visible in the morning. Yesterday and this morning I was treated to a mini-fallout of birds in the morning. When I walked out to get the newspaper, a huge flock of goldfinch lifted off my small wildflower meadow - I would estimate 40-50 birds! Also caught a pine siskin, the red-bellied woodpecker and several Downy's and Hairy's.

For me, turning the property into a wildflower meadow was the best thing I've ever done. It's obviously become a pit stop for migrating birds. it's a real thrill to see dozens of birds when you open the front door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back