• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All Nocmig questions answered? (2 Viewers)

Just saw the following title on a website

‘Identifying Migratory Birds by Sound in Britain and Europe’​

Series: Helm Identification Guide Series

To be published in June 2024.

The book apparently covers 450 species, and I will be keeping an eye out for it, as it could be an invaluable guide for anyone who has tried and been frustrated by nocmigging in Europe.
I bought a copy of the original french language book and although my 'schoolboy french' is actually mostly long forgotten 'schoolboy french' I tend to use the book to speed up the ID process on sonagrams of birds I'm not sure of - if I can narrow it down to a family, rather than actually do much reading. It is straightforward to check through the likely species, rather than have to open up Xeno-Canto and check individual recordings then open up the sonagram which is more time consuming. There are a couple more french language books in a similar style by the same author too.

I bought a copy of the original french language book
Just found the French version on the net. I suspect that the newly advertised book is expanded and not quite the same - a Google translation suggest the original had 130 species accounts and 500 sonograms, whereas the blurb for the English language book suggest 450 species are covered, which sounds quite comprehensive.

Last edited:
The confusion here is that there are two French books. The one that covers the migratory species covers 450 species, and the one that focuses on nocmig covers 130 species.IMG_2022.jpeg

The confusion here is that there are two French books. The one that covers the migratory species covers 450 species, and the one that focuses on nocmig covers 130 species.View attachment 1563257
Thanks, Mark. I mentioned the fact that there were a couple of other similar books in my post - "There are a couple more french language books in a similar style by the same author too.", which appears to have been missed by Jon. Incidentally, it was a post by yourself on twitter a few years ago that led to me buying them (so thanks for that also).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back