• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All things White-tailed Eagle (1 Viewer)

From wiki:
There is even a record of a human child's skull having been found in a nest of this eagle, but it may be most likely that this child was eaten as carrion rather than actually killed by the eagle parents.

Or, a case of misidentification and it was part of a monkey's skull - that eagle's principal source of food. Awesome pic in Wiki, btw, thanks for the link Marcus.

Hi all, probably a question for Chris, but interests raised in this subject follow the appearance of the majestic WTE in Hampshire...

What's the latest with the muted scheme to re-introduce WTE's into East Anglia?

Hi!

Can everyone help me in identifying the subadult White-tailed Eagles?

Tamás

Hi Tamás

I recommend the following two books:

1)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raptors-Eur...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203321100&sr=8-1

The new paperback edition of that book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raptors-Eur...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203321133&sr=1-2

2)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Rapto...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203321174&sr=1-3

Both are very good books with very detailed explanations not only on the identification of raptors but also on how to tell the age of the birds.
very detailed coverage of the WTE.

Markus

Irish White tails release program.some more news in the local rag, Kerrys Eye , not read it myself but i am told that 2 more of the white tail eagles have been poisoned . whilst this is probably not deliberate it is still not good .Birds found in the Glencar area of Kerry ,this is the eastern edge of the national park.

Irish White tails release program.some more news in the local rag, Kerrys Eye , not read it myself but i am told that 2 more of the white tail eagles have been poisoned . whilst this is probably not deliberate it is still not good .Birds found in the Glencar area of Kerry ,this is the eastern edge of the national park.
What? Another two? Dead? :C What is going on down there?

I am sitting far North in Norway,at 1645 pm a White- tailed Sea-Eagle fly over my house, to day the snow have come heavy down, and the eagle nest is covered with snow, for a couple of days ago the was building, failed last year. The nest have I build in the same three after the old nest fall down. Followed the pair (several ind.) in 27 year. Only 3 year they have succeeded raising totally 5 chick. It take a long time to raise a new population as in Ireland, but in Scotland the first year start with only 4 birds (1975). And I have a good hope for the new birds both in East Scotland and Ireland--but the landcape are not so suitable as they home land. I have together with my family have feeling many times for doing something wrong for the 144 bird send over. And marking the bird with a huge WING TAG , are after my meaning quite entice. Last evening they show i Norwegian TV the two dead Sea-Eagle in Kerry, so it is a long way to go yet.

kysten-2007

Thanks, Harald, sounds beautiful! I agree with you, I am slightly dubious, as I'm sure the Norwegian birding authorities are, about the prospect of having more birds sent to Ireland. It seems a bit like sending them to their execution. As regards habitat, I wouldn't be so worried, Sea-Eagles were once widespread on the Irish coast, there are many mountainouis headlands with lots of lakes in support that look suitable. Not much use it they keep on getting poisoned, though....and I'm glad that Norwegian TV is covering these deaths. Best Wishes!

The last day in February, maybe some of the earlies egg for the new generation, are laid already in the Isles out facing the Vestfjorden in Lofoten. There are newborn lamb in the snow, just beside some of the nest site in ground. Sheep and Sea-Eagle live together, the old Norse race of sheep (like Soya sheep). At inland where I live are the wind from EAST cold, and covered many nest, but they work wit new stick to add, the lining grass they take from often long distance away, from Isles so not are snow covered.
The ski-track is newly prepared and the snow is still white, tomorrow hundred of people will passing the The huge Sea-Eagle nest within 150 meter, few or non will notice the nest and pair, and that I indeed hope will long until the green leaves of the trees covered the nest, and I will not ringed the young---not disturbing.

The White Tailed Eagles in the Oostvaardersplassen

For the third year in a row the white tailed eagles of the Oostvaardersplassen in the Netherlands are breeding.

Staatsbosbeheer placed a webcam to view the nest in 2007. But this year the white tailed eagles have decided to build a new nest.
Nature will choose her own way!

The new nest is close to the old one, but outside the view of the webcam.
Two chicks have hatched around the 15th of april.
They discovered the two chicks when counting birds with a helicopter(!)
In 2006 and 2007 the white tailed eagles one young.
Let's see what 2008 will bring. Will they manage to raise two young ?
Let's hope so.

Last edited:
For the third year in a row the white tailed eagles of the Oostvaardersplassen in the Netherlands are breeding.

Staatsbosbeheer placed a webcam to view the nest in 2007. But this year the white tailed eagles have decided to build a new nest.
Nature will choose her own way!

The new nest is close to the old one, but outside the view of the webcam.
Two chicks have hatched around the 15th of april.
They discovered the two chicks when counting birds with a helicopter(!)
In 2006 and 2007 the white tailed eagles one young.
Let's see what 2008 will bring. Will they manage to raise two young ?
Let's hope so.

Thats great news. thanks for sharing it.

Two young eagles fledged is quite regular with WTE (much more common than with Golden Eagles).
If food is plentiful, the changes are good that we will see two chicks raised.

Do you know if there is anything known about the chicks from 2007 and 2006? Are they still alive?

Any other new WTE pairs in The Netherlands this year?

Markus

Some news from Ireland

EXTRA PROTECTION FOR SEA EAGLES AS 20 MORE COME FROM NORWAY

By ANNE LUCEY

MEASURES WILL be put in place to further protect the white-tailed sea eagle, one of the world's largest birds of prey, the scientist in charge of the project said yesterday as news emerged that a further 20 eagles have been flown here from Norway.

Some of the original 15 eagles introduced last year have now ranged as far as Lough Neagh, and other parts of the North of Ireland.

Last year's 15 now number only 11, four having been lost to poisoned bait - most, in hilly sheep-farming country in the Macgillycuddy's Reeks area of Co Kerry.

Gardaí are investigating the possibility that the poisoning may have been deliberate. The second batch of eagle fledglings to arrive in this country are being kept at a secret location in the Killarney National Park and will be released in stages from early August.

Dr Allan Mee, the scientist in charge of the ambitious reintroduction project, said measures were being put in place to wean this year's clutch off carrion at an early stage, so that they will take to fish sooner and not be so vulnerable to poisoned bait.

He said fears that the eagles would target lambs had not materialised and the farming community in the Black Valley and other parts of south and west Kerry were supportive. Last year's birds have moved as far as Derry and Co Down, some returning to the Killarney area. Others have ranged as far as Sligo and Waterford.

"People generally have been very positive," Dr Mee said.

The eagles are already a tourist attraction with hill walkers and others eager to spot them in the vicinity of the Killarney lakes and the Macgillycuddy's Reeks.

The project, under the auspices of the National Parks and Wildlife Service, the Golden Eagle Trust and others is supported locally by hoteliers and the Killarney Town Council.

It is part of a five year process which will see further sea eagles arrive in the coming years.

© 2008 The Irish Times

Just got back from a week in Mull, was incredibly privileged to get a very close encounter with one of these stunning birds :)

Second pic shows just how big the flying barn door is compared to a Buzzard :)

Attachments

• White_Tail.jpg
    White_Tail.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Buzzard_and_Eagle.jpg
    Buzzard_and_Eagle.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 146
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back