• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Am Golden Plover at East Harling? (3 Viewers)

Can somebody please explain why they think this is a Dotterel?

See post 11 for one opinion, although the point about the mantle is surely incorrect as I have never seen a Dotterel with a mantle anything like this
one, in the flesh or in photos.

Its a juvenile American Golden Plover. Lets move on...

I'll happily concede that this one looks much more like AGP ... in fact I wish I'd seen it first. I still see a whiff of Dotterel in the second shot since it really does look warm buffy below etc. It just shows how photos unsupported by notes can confuse (me if nobody else!]. As for size comparisons I'm always a bit wary of judging size in photos especially when a long lens is used,
John

Hi all,
This is, without doubt the AGP.
I saw both birds at East Harling on 29/10 and they are easily seperable on the fact that the Dotterel has an obvious pale breast band as you'd expect.

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris,
Good to know there is actually AGP and Dotterel present - I'll have to go along and have another look to see if I can pick up the Dotterel.

Incidentally my photos were taken on Monday (10th Nov), so clearly the AGP's still in there - just takes a lot of patience to scan through the very skittish flock.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back