• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amur or Red-footed Falcon (Slovenia)? (1 Viewer)

Mountain Owl

Serbia
Greetings.
Few days ago, I just received a questions about the attached photos. I am interested in your opinions. It appears to be a specimen of Amur Falcon F. amurensis (top left). What do you think? mid May 2022, SW Slovenia
p.s. The photos have not been manipulated/tuned or changed in any way.

Attachments

• DSCN2396 (1).JPG
    DSCN2396 (1).JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 145
  • DSCN2395 (2).JPG
    DSCN2395 (2).JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 145
  • DSCN2394.JPG
    DSCN2394.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 145
Hello,

welcome to birdforum!
Thanks for joining to alert others of this (possible) rare bird/record for Europe.

I cant answer your question with confidence. Yes, I think it might well be an Amur Flacon, but I havent seen Amur Falcon in the wild before), but there are surely others that can confirm Amur Falcon. I hope so, thanks from me, too.

I assume, that you are aware of 1cy RFF with white/whitish underparts (yes with bold streaking unlike your bird from may EDIT: I agree with you, your bird is far too early to be a 1 cy ). No offence you know.
(09.09.2022, Fiener Bruch near Tucheim, NE-Germany)

No offence, but I think with such a rare bird, an aberrant RRF has to be considered. And as said, your bird is far above my paygrade.

Welcome to birdforum again!

Off topic: Club300 Germany

Last edited:
Hello,

welcome to birdforum!
Thanks for joining to alert others of this (possible) rare bird/record for Europe.

I cant answer your question with confidence. Yes, I think it might well be an Amur Flacon, but I havent seen Amur Falcon in the wild before), but there are surely others that can confirm Amur Falcon. I hope so, thanks from me, too.

I assume, that you are aware of 1cy RFF with white/whitish underparts (yes with bold streaking unlike your bird from may EDIT: I agree with you, your bird is far too early to be a 1 cy ). No offence you know.
(09.09.2022, Fiener Bruch near Tucheim, NE-Germany)

No offence, but I think with such a rare bird, an aberrant RRF has to be considered. And as said, your bird is far above my paygrade.

Welcome to birdforum again!

Off topic: Club300 Germany
Thank you for the welcome to the forum, your opinion and quick reply.

Don't worry. No offence. I am here to discuss, identify and learn something :)

I agree about the possibility of an aberrant individual with a strange moulting strategy or unusual plumage variability. However, I grew up 400 m from the colony of RFFs. I spent more than a decade watching, capturing and generally researching this species in northern Serbia. Still, I have never seen an RfF juvenile/second-year individual with a dark (bluish-grey) crown colour, white (pale) breast and whitish underwing/shoulder. I also tried looking for a similar photo of RFF on the Internet, but without success. Of course, we need clarification on this questionable bird (I have no experience with AF). Still, I can't find any or maybe one morphological character which perfectly matches an RFF. Thus, my opinion leans more towards an Amur Falcon.
Otherwise, strange bird is in its second calendar year, and its underparts are little bit over-exposed (by the camera).

I hope more useful comments will come and we will successfully solve the puzzle.

Cheers!

Second calendar year male, very pale below with mixture of grey and some bleached juvenile streaks. Amur males at this age are pretty similar but there is nothing suggesting other than default Red-footed in these pictures (thanks Brian for the perfect paper on this)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back