• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An American vagrant? (1 Viewer)

Muratfaik

I took this picture on April 2023 in Antalya-Turkey. Tertials of the bird, seems to exeed the tail (as you may know tail should be longer than wing feathers in Temminck’s). Middle toe is about the same length (or longer?) of the bill. Scapular fringes are whitish. Lore length is about half lengths of the bill. Leg color does not fit the Little stint… can this be an American vagrant i. e. Long-toed? Opinions please. Thanks.

569C47DD-8AF9-4B5B-B0F4-C682D15068B0.jpeg

I'm sure you will be right Brian, but a surprise. I thought the plumage, leg colour, long toes and paler base to the lower mandible all pointed to a Long-toed Stint.
pale base to lower mandible? Also the legs appear dark to me, far too dark for a L.T.S. I feel as if the image has been edited which has caused the image to look much more vibrant.

I use nikon z9+600mmtcvrs nikkor. This combination allways some boost vibrancy and saturation But never change the colors. If there is yellow on the legs, it is there. Black never changes yellow or something else..
Personally I don't see yellow on the legs, what I see is dark legs that are being made lighter due to lighting.

Edit- The reason I ask is because you did something similar in a pervious post.

Scapular patterns of the stint species. Which one is the same with this bird?

Attachments

• C5E587D1-0264-4BD3-B95F-6D50D9D5CE2B.jpeg
    C5E587D1-0264-4BD3-B95F-6D50D9D5CE2B.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 54
How about concentration on anatomical-topographical fetures, instead of only colors? For example; the midle toe (including nail) seems about same size of the tarsus and a bit longer than bill.. (I am not sure nail counts or not) and hind toe seems a bit longer for a little stint (5-7 mm instead of 4-4.5mm). Lower mandibule curvature may be useful criteria? Lacking of outer wing bars and hint of whitish V shafts may be considerable. Here are some more photos of the bird:

8E488082-0597-4A9B-BF9C-3E5B0C362166.jpeg35308D14-45B3-449D-AC01-F9D6CF5F44AC.jpegEF338F38-2280-4975-9EFD-0962D9E74D7E.jpeg

How about concentration on anatomical-topographical fetures, instead of only colors? For example; the midle toe (including nail) seems about same size of the tarsus and a bit longer than bill.. (I am not sure nail counts or not) and hind toe seems a bit longer for a little stint (5-7 mm instead of 4-4.5mm). Lower mandibule curvature may be useful criteria? Lacking of outer wing bars and hint of whitish V shafts may be considerable. Here are some more photos of the bird:
Since you have asked about structural features, there are clear differences between the 2 species which are visible from your images and exclude Long-toed, 1) the toes are not proportionally long enough ML373495931 - Long-toed Stint - Macaulay Library and ML609493044 - Long-toed Stint - Macaulay Library in Long-toed they are out-sized, almost reminiscent of a Crake, protruding well beyond the tail tip in flight views, 2) neck too short and, 3) pp too long. One can clearly see 3 tips (2 well-spaced) projecting beyond the tertials with a clear extension beyond the tail tip. Long-toed exhibits only a very short pp at best, but often it is absent, the long tertials cloaking the primaries with the tips falling just shy or level with the tail tip.

In Long-toed the long neck and tibia combine to give the bird an entirely different 'jizz' which is often compared to a small Wood Sandpiper rather than a peep ML351485291 - Long-toed Stint - Macaulay Library

Aside from the leg colour it is perfectly typical transitional adult Little Stint. Long-toed usually has much brighter yellow or greenish-yellow legs.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back