• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Analysis Paralysis- Please help me choose! (4 Viewers)

icesheet

I now have total analysis paralysis from the shocking words that came out my wife’s mouth…. ‘We should get some binoculars’.

In order of priority they will be used for

• Looking at birds in garden and forest 10-50m away

• Looking at deer in the forest anything from 50-200m away.

• Eagles that fly overhead now and again. No idea what height they might be soaring at.

• Occasionally taking it out on walks with the dog.

• I will probably use it for some casual scanning of the night sky

I decided that 32mm-42mm would be best for a balance of performance and ergonomics. Wasn’t sure if 8x or 10x would be best? I guess most will suggest 8x for stability.

I appreciate a good optic having developed an interest in visual astronomy and particularly astrophotography. I have also had a number of binoculars; SV EL 8.5x42, Zeiss Victory Pocket x8, Pentax ZD ED 10x50 and some others. So, I set an absolute maximum budget of $750/€700 equivalent (I live in Norway), to put me solidly in the mid range. A store had an offer on Zeiss Conquest at good prices. They have a generous return policy so I thought job done and grabbed the last two they had in stock, the 10x32 and 8x42 for $700 and $750 respectively. With the intention of keeping the one that best suited our needs.

I have now received the 10x32 and whilst I can appreciate the optics are great, particularly sharp and bright on axis, I didn’t get the wow factor I did when I first looked through my SV EL 8.5x42. Then, it became apparent I was struggling with eye placement and getting terrible blackouts. I couldn’t evaluate the edges properly without getting a blackout. Although, I did note some CA and field curvature. I could almost remove the CA by focusing at the edge but not completely. I’m pretty sure they will be going back. As an aside the 10x with the 3.2mm exit pupil didn’t seem so bad on a dull morning.

It got me thinking about why sold the SV EL in the first place. I really enjoyed looking through that but ultimately I couldn’t justify holding on to something at that price that I didn’t use so frequently. I fear the these could be the same and at least with this 10x32 I’m not getting the same experience.

I haven’t received the 8x42 yet but I’m
somewhat back to the drawing board thinking I should maybe look at something in the $300-500 range. I’m thinking I might be more comfortable sacrificing a little optical quality for more money in my pocket. So, my current plan is buy some cheaper pairs to compare against the Conquests. I’ve found three that interest me

•GPO Passion ED 10x40 ($370)
•Meopta MeoStar HD 10x32 ($410)
•Kowa BD-XD 8x32 ($275) First version.

These are all on a deal here as well and seem to have generally positive reviews if a little more mixed than the Conquests. They don’t have as generous a return policy though. Two will require paying return postage ~$15 and one will only let me try in store with no return (The Kowa).

Thank you if you have made it this far. Would appreciate if you can comment on any of these options, particularly if you’ve experience of the Conquest too. Would also like to hear if you can recommend anything else. I’ve always wanted to try a good Porro Prism, e.g Habicht or Nikon EII but they are very expensive here.

Last edited:
I now have total analysis paralysis from the shocking words that came out my wife’s mouth…. ‘We should get some binoculars’.

In order of priority they will be used for

• Looking at birds in garden and forest 10-50m away

• Looking at deer in the forest anything from 50-200m away.

• Eagles that fly overhead now and again. No idea what height they might be soaring at.

• Occasionally taking it out on walks with the dog.

• I will probably use it for some casual scanning of the night sky

I decided that 32mm-42mm would be best for a balance of performance and ergonomics. Wasn’t sure if 8x or 10x would be best? I guess most will suggest 8x for stability.

I appreciate a good optic having developed an interest in visual astronomy and particularly astrophotography. I have also had a number of binoculars; SV EL 8.5x42, Zeiss Victory Pocket x8, Pentax ZD ED 10x50 and some others. So, I set an absolute maximum budget of $750/€700 equivalent (I live in Norway), to put me solidly in the mid range. A store had an offer on Zeiss Conquest at good prices. They have a generous return policy so I thought job done and grabbed the last two they had in stock, the 10x32 and 8x42 for $700 and $750 respectively. With the intention of keeping the one that best suited our needs.

I have now received the 10x32 and whilst I can appreciate the optics are great, particularly sharp and bright on axis, I didn’t get the wow factor I did when I first looked through my SV EL 8.5x42. Then, it became apparent I was struggling with eye placement and getting terrible blackouts. I couldn’t evaluate the edges properly without getting a blackout. Although, I did note some CA and field curvature. I could almost remove the CA by focusing at the edge but not completely. I’m pretty sure they will be going back. As an aside the 10x with the 3.2mm exit pupil didn’t seem so bad on a dull morning.

It got me thinking about why sold the SV EL in the first place. I really enjoyed looking through that but ultimately I couldn’t justify holding on to something at that price that I didn’t use so frequently. I fear the these could be the same and at least with this 10x32 I’m not getting the same experience.

I haven’t received the 8x42 yet but I’m
somewhat back to the drawing board thinking I should maybe look at something in the $300-500 range. I’m thinking I might be more comfortable sacrificing a little optical quality for more money in my pocket. So, my current plan is buy some cheaper pairs to compare against the Conquests. I’ve found three that interest me

•GPO Passion ED 10x40 ($370)
•Meopta MeoStar HD 10x32 ($410)
•Kowa BD-XD 8x32 ($275) First version.

These are all on a deal here as well and seem to have generally positive reviews if a little more mixed than the Conquests. They don’t have as generous a return policy though. Two will require paying return postage ~$15 and one will only let me try in store with no return (The Kowa).

Thank you if you have made it this far. Would appreciate if you can comment on any of these options, particularly if you’ve experience of the Conquest too. Would also like to hear if you can recommend anything else. I’ve always wanted to try a good Porro Prism, e.g Habicht or Nikon EII but they are very expensive here.
If you’re staying under $500 forget porros for now , unless going used. You already sold one of the best wow factor bins in the EL’s , you’re not going to come near that in this budget. That being said imo the Vortex Viper HD in 8x42 would check most of all the boxes. These are sharp, bright , very comfortable and are great all around do everything binoculars. And they are backed up with one of the best warrantees in the business.

Thanks, for the reply. They were in stock in the shop I was in so I will test them in store when I go back. At the moment with the deal on the Conquest there is only ~$100 between them here so I’m not sure if the saving would be worth it. I do read goood things in general about Vortex.

My sample 10x42 Conquest HD is very good.
I don't have the 8x42.

The 8x32 Conquest HD is also good, but with a little glare.

It rains in Bergen, so waterproof seems advisable.

Regards,
B.

Thanks, for the reply. They were in stock in the shop I was in so I will test them in store when I go back. At the moment with the deal on the Conquest there is only ~$100 between them here so I’m not sure if the saving would be worth it. I do read goood things in general about Vortex.
The Zeiss Conquest is the better binocular in comparison to the Viper, it’s a step up , and imho this upper mid level optic is the sweet spot when it comes quality and bang for the buck. If I were comparing a Vortex to the Conquest, it would be the Razor, but the razor has not been updated for a while. I’d still choose the Zeiss in this category. The blackouts can be solved with longer eyecups from Zeiss. Another nice factor is the Zeiss are made in Germany or Japan, that topic has been raging for years here.

This is true! Rainiest ☔️ city in Europe I think. I have no doubt that the Conquest are one the benchmark in this price category, so hopefully I get on better with the 8x42. Still would like to see if I can get close for a few hundred less.

I read some threads on that. Germany or Japan would not bother me. My experience with Japanese optics is good and I’m particularly fond of Takahashi telescopes.

I played about with the 10x32 a bit more and I have found a bit better placement but it’s not in a particularly comfortable position. Let’s see how the 8x42 fair and I think I’ll order one of the cheaper bins to see if I can convince myself that cheaper is good enough

Last edited:
There is no MeoStar HD, perhaps you mean MeoPro? I'm not familiar with the models you list, but for most of the distances mentioned you will appreciate 10x over 8x, and the more common objective size would be 40/42mm. 10x32 can work well but I've only liked higher quality ones, and no low-to-midrange bin will impress you (mechanically or optically) compared to what you've had before. Do also consider buying pre-owned; some fool may even sell their EL SV... ;)

Here in the USA the Conquest HD is currently being offered at a $200 discount off their normally very competitive price. I don’t know if there are similar discounts available in europe, but here I would be hard pressed to find a better $/performance optic.

I have an 8x32HD and have been quite impressed. They often end up in my bag on trips where there might be an opportunity to sneak out and do some birding while on business trips (either them or my FLs). The view is very bright and crisp with good depth of field and very fast focus. I’ve compared them with the 10x42 HD but only very briefly with the 8x42. As expected, I see less CA in the 32mm HD and to me it appears to be the “cherry” of the HD lineup. Not that the 42mm versions are slouches (they aren’t). I just prefer the 32mm.

Noticed the Kowa 32mm BD is on your list - I have a 10x32 BD II that was part of a spotting scope bundle that I won at a fundraiser. Although it is less than half the price of the 32mm HD one quick side-by-side look will demonstrate why.

If stepping up to $1k there are many other options, but at under $800 (currently) the Conquest is a great value. Good luck with your search.

Haha, yes there must be someone that daft! In my defence it did go to good use in other telescope equipment. You are right, it was the MeoPro HD I meant. I am resigned to more of a meh than wow factor now 👎

Here in the USA the Conquest HD is currently being offered at a $200 discount off their normally very competitive price. I don’t know if there are similar discounts available in europe, but here I would be hard pressed to find a better $/performance optic.

I have an 8x32HD and have been quite impressed. They often end up in my bag on trips where there might be an opportunity to sneak out and do some birding while on business trips (either them or my FLs). The view is very bright and crisp with good depth of field and very fast focus. I’ve compared them with the 10x42 HD but only very briefly with the 8x42. As expected, I see less CA in the 32mm HD and to me it appears to be the “cherry” of the HD lineup. Not that the 42mm versions are slouches (they aren’t). I just prefer the 32mm.

Noticed the Kowa 32mm BD is on your list - I have a 10x32 BD II that was part of a spotting scope bundle that I won at a fundraiser. Although it is less than half the price of the 32mm HD one quick side-by-side look will demonstrate why.

If stepping up to $1k there are many other options, but at under $800 (currently) the Conquest is a great value. Good luck with your
Thanks! Given the support the Conquests are getting I reckon I will end up with the 8x42 if they work ergonomically for me.

Last edited:
Ok, it appears I may be able to get my hands on a pair of Nikon EII 8x30's in my budget. I know maybe not ideal for my weather conditions but we will largely be fair weather users. Could these give another SV EL type wow factor. Seem to have quite the following...

Ok, it appears I may be able to get my hands on a pair of Nikon EII 8x30's in my budget. I know maybe not ideal for my weather conditions but we will largely be fair weather users. Could these give another SV EL type wow factor. Seem to have quite the following...
No, E2's are nice but not on the wow factor level of an EL. I have them both, the E2 is a very nice elegant porro with a nice large FOV, but its still a mid level glass. If considering the porro look at the Nikon SE (used) or the Swaro Habicht for more wow factor.

You have to try both the Nikon EII 8x30 and Conquest HD 8x42.

It depends if you wear glasses with binoculars.

Only you can know if any binocular is suitable.

Although I have the Nikon EII in 8x30 and 10x35, I prefer the Conquest 10x42 HD.

Actually not, as it has too much eye relief for me.

I actually use a Leica BA 8x32 and Swift 8.5x44 HR/5.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
I cannot use the Nikon SE because of blackouts in either 8x32 or 10x42.
So one actually has to use a binocular oneself.

Have you considered Nikon Monarch hg? Now there seems to be a discount on their website
Edit: I know it has a much wider fov than the conquest at that specific configuration

You have to try both the Nikon EII 8x30 and Conquest HD 8x42.

It depends if you wear glasses with binoculars.

Only you can know if any binocular is suitable.

Although I have the Nikon EII in 8x30 and 10x35, I prefer the Conquest 10x42 HD.

Actually not, as it has too much eye relief for me.

I actually use a Leica BA 8x32 and Swift 8.5x44 HR/5.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
I cannot use the Nikon SE because of blackouts in either 8x32 or 10x42.
So one actually has to use a binocular oneself.
Yes, sound advice. I will have the opportunity to test both side by side and it will satisfy my curiosity with the EII and porro view in general.

Have you considered Nikon Monarch hg? Now there seems to be a discount on their website
Edit: I know it has a much wider fov than the conquest at that specific configuration
Yes, it was certainly a consideration although I couldn’t find it anywhere that would allow or was easy to return. Although now that you mention I see the Norwegian Nikon site has them. It may be worth trying them too. I have a feeling this was not what my wife had in mind 😂

No, E2's are nice but not on the wow factor level of an EL. I have them both, the E2 is a very nice elegant porro with a nice large FOV, but its still a mid level glass. If considering the porro look at the Nikon SE (used) or the Swaro Habicht for more wow factor.
Sorry, missed this. Highly doubt an SE would pop up here. The Habicht is available but $$$. Still, even if view is not EL the comparison is now Vs the Conquest. Not sure I can resist giving it a shot.

I think you have to do a few things.
1. Stop analyzing.
2. Decide if you want the best optics, or to save money.
3. Start going to dealers and looking through binoculars. (Not at them)

As for not using them, that is your choice.

Binoculars should be a source of continual delight, as you marvel at the things they reveal, which you would never have seen. You need to use them more. They are not single-use instruments.

Just my opinion(s) and the advice is worth exactly as much as you are paying me.

Good luck, and try not to make an easy thing difficult.

Last edited:
This is such a matter of personal taste! I normally use 10x but have an E II as my 8x bin, a gorgeous classic with a wide field of view. (It's "wow" to me compared to the "optically better" SE, due to the FOV, a special limpid quality of view, and not caring about sharpness to the edge.) You would surely prefer the 10x35 model. But these Nikons (or Swaro Habicht) are not most people's idea of an all-around bin today, so proceed with caution.

Sorry, missed this. Highly doubt an SE would pop up here. The Habicht is available but $$$. Still, even if view is not EL the comparison is now Vs the Conquest. Not sure I can resist giving it a shot.
All around the Conquest will check more boxes as an optical tool.

SE’s pop up here every month or two, as well as on Cloudynights, Astromart and the beauty that is on the bay right now.

Nikon 8x32 Premier SE Binoculars | eBay

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back