• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And now for something completely different: The Habicht 7x42 (2 Viewers)

Here's to a speedy recovery Hermann! Could happen to any of us at any time. Looks like you have found a great way to rehab.

Question for you.... what, if any is the benefit of x7 magnification against the usual x8? Or is it just the design of the 7x42 Habicht that works so well?

I'd say the design of the Habicht is the most important factor. Size, weight, optical performance, size of the exit pupil and shape. The shape is really pretty important for me. I find I can hold slightly longer binoculars more easily steady than shorter binocular as long as the weight is low enough. In addition I've got athritis in my right thumb, and the shape of the Habicht works better for me than most other shapes. (For instance, the Nikon 8x32 HGL is a nice binocular but the shape does not work for me.)

The distribution of weight also plays an important role for me, for instance the Zeiss 7x42 (which I had for a few years way back in the 1980s) didn't work for me all that well. Too narrow, too heavy at the front. That's one of the great features of the Zeiss SF IMO, shifting the weight towards the eyepieces seems to me to be an excellent idea. However, the 42mm models are too heavy for my liking. Nowadays I aim at a weight of no more than 750gr with strap and rainguard. I'm not getting any younger, and I tend to keep my binoculars for many years.

That said, I'd love to see more 7x binoculars on the market again, knowing full well this won't happen. I've still got steady hands and can hold 10x to 12x binoculars quite well - but the differences even between 7x and 8x is quite obvious in the field IMO. The view through a 7x binocular is steadier than through binoculars with higher magnifications, more relaxing, especially when I'm using the binoculars over long periods of time. And the depth of field (that depends solely on the magnification) is also larger with 7x binoculars, and that is a nice feature.

One last thought: I think a stabilized binocular would be ideal for my style of birding. But the size and shape would need to fit my needs, and the exit pupil would need to be large enough, and I need a diopter correction range of +/- 4, ideally 4.5 diopters, on days when I can't use my contact lens. In other words: All the Canon models are out, unfortunately.

Hermann

Thanks to all who wished my a speedy recovery. I was extremely lucky in many ways. Got to the hospital within 30 minutes after it happened, and that may well have saved my butt. Speed is essential, I was told. The most effective therapy works best if you get to the hospital within 4 hours, and the golden rule is "The earlier the better!"

Looks like you have found a great way to rehab.

Yes, definitely ... :t: And the doctors told me to do just that: Relax, go on long walks, don't think about your job. What better way to relax is there than birding?

Hermann

Please accept my best wishes for a full recovery Hermann and many happy hours with your Habicht 7x42 and the birds.

Lee

Hermann:

I also want to wish you well in regaining your health. You are correct that getting out and observing nature is the best cure for what ails you. Your job will wait, so don't have a care about that, take care of yourself.

I have also had experience with the Habicht 7x42, and I like the Swarovski porros, but I found the 7x42 had a
too narrow field of view for my liking.

Jerry

Hermann,

I have learnt a lot from reading this thread and all that's been added to it over the years. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and I'd like to add my good wishes for your recovery with lots of relaxing viewing and lack of stress.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back