• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andalucia Bird Society (1 Viewer)

New official journal of ABS

We've been busy putting together the very first issue in Birds of Andalucia. Something to get excited about and be proud of. Andalucia now has its own Bird magazine - due to be available beginning of July! This the official journal of the Andalucia Bird Society is available free to members and is published quarterly. A subscription is available to receive these journal with the EU postage paid at 16 Euro donation.

See photo for front cover design on our Summer Edition.

Attachments

• Birds-of-Andalucia-Journal-Summer-2012.jpg
    Birds-of-Andalucia-Journal-Summer-2012.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 66
Looks great Peter. (I share your obsession with "Goshawk Eagles")

You could well have worse obsessions Simon...lol. I am lucky to live in an area where they occur commonly, just had this bird although it was a little too quick for me to get a decent shot, but it is 'our' bird, so that is good enough for me! See photo...

Peter - fellow Bonelli's nut.

Attachments

• 3T9P8314---Bonelli's-Eagle1.jpg
    3T9P8314---Bonelli's-Eagle1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 92
little too quick for me to get a decent shot,

I would say very decent indeed!

(For those who didn't understand my "Goshawk Eagle" analogy - it comes from translating one of the Spanish names, which in a way is rather apt - it helps to sum up what makes them different from the other eagles in a way)

I would say very decent indeed!

(For those who didn't understand my "Goshawk Eagle" analogy - it comes from translating one of the Spanish names, which in a way is rather apt - it helps to sum up what makes them different from the other eagles in a way)

Absolutely sums up this bird and guess most would tumble the analogy Simon. They are certainly the most aggressive of eagles I have watched on a regular basis!

Peter

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 45
We've been busy putting together the very first issue in Birds of Andalucia. Something to get excited about and be proud of. Andalucia now has its own Bird magazine - due to be available beginning of July! This the official journal of the Andalucia Bird Society is available free to members and is published quarterly. A subscription is available to receive these journal with the EU postage paid at 16 Euro donation.
See photo for front cover design on our Summer Edition.

Hi Peter, just clocked this and I want a copy! Saw the website link below.

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org...tion/158-birds-of-andalucia-new-magazine.html

Are you at the bird festival for all 3 days? as want to come along with a few of us that are in the area 7-11 September. Can I pick-up a copy of the magazine from the festival?

Derek :smoke:

Iberia Bird Festival

So many activities for our upcoming Iberia Bird Festival, not least children's activities involving birds on the Saturday and Sunday of the festival... so families can attend, maybe mum and dad can take timeout by letting their children enjoy nature in a very special way with Barbara and Sasi... wonder if I can join-in, sounds like fun? https://sites.google.com/site/iberia...n-s-activities

Take a look at the attached (very cute) photograph!

We hope to welcome as many people as possible at the festival...

Peter

Attachments

• Kid'sCorner1_web.jpg
    Kid'sCorner1_web.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 39
Field Meeting - December 8th 2012

Field Meeting - December 8th 2012

Event: Members Field Meeting
Date: 8th December 2012
Meeting Point: Restaurant Tropezon, Ctra Ronda – Sevilla. Take the turning signposted to the village of Monte Corto off the main Ronda to Sevilla road and the first road off the roundabout which leads to the car park belonging to the Venta.
Time: 9.30 am prompt please.

Leader for the day: Peter Jones

We will meet in the venta Tropezon and depart 10 am sharp. Making our way around the reservoir of Zahara, we will take the mountain road from that village to Grazalema, several miradors provide opportunities to stop and search for wintering birds such as Ring Ouzel, Alpine Accentor etc. We will stop for lunch at a venta in Grazalema. After lunch we can explore one or two local sites for Black Wheatear, Water Pipit and a few other local specialities. The route is stunningly scenic and provides many possibilities for some good birding.

We look forward to meeting you on the day. Non-members welcome at 25 Euro per person.

November 2012 - Field Meeting

Date: 10th November 2012, Saturday.

Meeting Point: Car Park at the entrance to the Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park (Grid Ref. 36º 39' 40.85" N / 5º 5' 48.76" W)

Time: 9.30 am prompt please.

Leader for the day: Mick Smith

Directions to the Meeting Point: The entrance to the Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park is located between km13 and km14 signs on the A497 road that runs between San Pedro and Ronda. If you are travelling from San Pedro it is a right-hand turning and from Ronda a left-hand turning. The grid ref. for the turning is 36º 39' 38.69" N / 5º 5' 57.54" W. The entrance is clearly signposted from both directions.

The road into the Natural Park is a tarmac road and the car park is about 200 metres from the entrance on your left.

Clothing and Food: This is a very remote region. The car park is situated at about 1,000 metres above sea level and during the field meeting we will climb at least another 300 metres. The weather is unpredictable in the Sierra de las Nieves Natural Park at this time of the year so it is necessary that you wear clothing that can cope with warm, cold and wet i.e layers of clothing including an outer layer of waterproof clothing if necessary. Walking shoes/boots are also necessary.

Due to it being a remote region you will need to bring your own lunch as there are no Ventas where a lunch could be purchased.

Information about the Field Meeting: We will spend about 40 to 60 minutes at the car park walking through the adjacent country searching for birds.

We will then use as few cars as possible for the remainder of the meeting, selecting those cars that can cope best with the conditions in the reserve. The tracks in the main are perfectly alright for any car, however, the track conditions in a couple of places we will pass through are best traveresed with a vehicle with a high wheel height - 4x4 is not necessary. The unsuitable cars will be left at the car park until we return.

We will take the track into the reserve, following a river valley slowly for about 6 kilometres, stopping frequently to search for resident and wintering birds. Initially we will pass through an oak wood, then a rocky gorge with steep sides and finally an open plateau and fir trees. We will spend about two hours on this part of the meeting.

We will then drive about 10 kilometres to a place called Los Quejigales where we will park the cars and have lunch.

After lunch we will go for a slow walk, which will last about 2 hours. The walk is relatively flat and along a wide track. The scenery is beautiful and the prospect for seeing birds and wild animals such as boar and deer is good.

We should be back at the entrance car park for around 4pm.

Birds that we could see are Griffon Vulture, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Common Kestrel, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Eurasian Jay, Chough, Raven, Coal Tit, Crested Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Common Chiffchaff, Dartford Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Firecrest, Nuthatch, Short-toed Treecreeper, Blackbird, Ring Ouzel, Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare, Robin, Black Redstart, Stonechat, Black Wheatear, Blue Rock Thrush, House Sparrow, Rock Sparrow, Alpine Accentor, Chaffinch, Linnet, Crossbill, Hawfinch, Corn Bunting, Rock Bunting, Cirl Bunting.

The Society's quarterly magazine.

Just seen a printed copy of the latest edition 'Birds of Andalucia', collection due of final copies later today. I think all involved should feel very proud at their efforts, it has moved-on and improved beyond comparison to the first issue. Lots of content and useful information, my verdict - Excellent.

Are you a member of the Andalucia Bird Society? If so the first of the 2013 quarterly magazines will be arriving through your mailbox in the next couple of weeks...
http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/about-abs/join-abs.html

Peter :t:

Attachments

• ABS-magazine-Front-Cover-copy.jpg
    ABS-magazine-Front-Cover-copy.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 56
Interesting bird society, I might become a member of them, sounds good!

Yes I must join too.

I think its a worthwhile Society to join. At 25 euro a year single membership it is good value i.e. 4 magazines a year, 12 field trips a year, Andalucia Checklist and Systematic List plus plus plus. Not only that it would be great to have you both as members!

Month without an update! Thought it was about time....
Heading to southern Malaga province in just 4 days!! Really can't wait to revisit old sites and see new ones, same goes for the birds, butterflies, flowers and all the other wildlife of the area.

Was just wondering if anyone knew of a reliable website for weather in the area? Struggling to find ones that don't vary every time I look at them!
Thanks all.

Everyone is working hard to produce the April edition of the ABS quarterly magazine and had an opportunity to go over a few of the feature articles. Looks very good and evolving into a really worthwhile read. Also for those with an interest I attach a preview of the next front cover!

Peter

Attachments

• ABS magazine spring 2013 (1).jpg
    ABS magazine spring 2013 (1).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 36
'Birds of Andalucia' (new front cover illustrated below) the quarterly magazine of the Andalucia Bird Society is going to the printers 1st April... the Society's quarterly magazine Spring Edition should be available to ABS members by the middle of April, are you a member yet? Packed with outstanding articles, the magazine is fast becoming the flagship for the Society. Why not join:

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/about-abs/join-abs.html

Peter

Attachments

• ABS-magazine-spring-2013-1.jpg
    ABS-magazine-spring-2013-1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 41
Member's Field Meeting - 15th June 2013

Date: Saturday, June 15, 2013

Meeting Point: Venta Las Vegas, Osuna. Please note that this venta has a habit of being closed on a Saturday morning. So those of you who are coffee junkies ensure you have enough time to get your morning fix elsewhere prior to us meeting at 10:00.

Time: 10:00

Leader of the day: David Hird

Directions to the Meeting Point: The Venta is just off the A92 (Sevilla to Antequerra) motorway at junction 80, Osuna. 37° 14’14”N 5° 07’39”

Information about the Meeting: If the number of people attending is large I will organise you into as few cars as possible to keep the convoy to a minimum. There will be a lot of off-road driving so we will also leave unsuitable cars at the venta. Cars do not need to be 4x4 but they do need a reasonable ground clearance.

We will follow the SE-715 road out of Osuna and stop at some of the railway bridges, as this road crosses and recrosses the new but yet unfinished AVE railway line, to scan the surrounding farmland.

We will then travel through farmland on dirt tracks, stopping at old farm buildings and also stopping on the tracks to look for species that favour this habitat.

We will then enter the Reserva Natural Lanteuela and I plan to visit Laguna de Gobierno, Laguna Ballestera, Laguna de Consuegra, Laguna de la Turquillas and Laguna de Calderon Grande before returning to Venta Las Vegas.

Accommodation:
For those of you who wish to have accommodation we have an Affiliated Member in Osuna called Hostal Fivegates - [email protected], www.fivegates.es

Clothing and Food: The weather is looking as if it is going to be warm with day time temperatures around 26/27C. You will need protection from the sun because it can be quite intensive around the Osuna area. I would have thought a hat will also be essential.

You will also need a picnic lunch and plenty of liquid.

Possible birds:
Red-legged Partridge, Common Shelduck, Gadwall, Mallard, Northern Shoveler,
Red-crested Pochard, Common Pochard, White-headed Duck, Little Grebe , Great Crested Grebe, Black-necked Grebe, Greater Flamingo, White Stork, Western Cattle Egret, Little Egret, Black-winged Kite, Red Kite, Black Kite, Short-toed Snake Eagle, Griffon Vulture, Western Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Montagu's Harrier, Common Buzzard, Booted Eagle, Lesser Kestrel, Common Kestrel, Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Purple Swamphen, Moorhen, Eurasian Coot, Stone Curlew, Black-winged Stilt, Pied Avocet, Northern Lapwing, Common Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Kentish Plover , Black-tailed Godwit, Common Redshank, Common Sandpiper, Collared Pratincole, Black-headed Gull, Mediterranean Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Gull-billed Tern, Whiskered Tern, Black Tern, Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Rock Dove, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Turtle Dove, Collared Dove, Little Owl, Common Swift, Pallid Swift, European Roller, European Bee-Eater, Hoopoe, Southern Grey Shrike, Woodchat Shrike, Common Raven, Blue Tit, Great tit, Calandra Lark, Crested Lark, Thekla Lark, Skylark, Swallow, House Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Cetti's Warbler, Reed Warbler, Melodious Warbler, Zitting Cisticola, Spotless Starling, Blackbird, Stonechat, House Sparrow, Spanish Sparrow, House Sparrow, Iberian Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Tawny Pipit, Chaffinch, Serin, Goldfinch, Linnet, Corn Bunting.

'Birds of Andalucia' (new front cover illustrated below) the quarterly magazine of the Andalucia Bird Society is going to the printers 1st July... the Society's quarterly magazine Summer Edition should be available to ABS members by the middle of July, are you a member yet? Packed with outstanding articles, the magazine is fast becoming the flagship for the Society. Why not join:

http://www.andaluciabirdsociety.org/.../join-abs.html

Attachments

• ABS-magazine-Summer-2013-(1)-1.jpg
    ABS-magazine-Summer-2013-(1)-1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back