• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Animal Eye Detection (2 Viewers)

MikeInPA

Fuck Trump
United States
I've had the Nikon Z7 since September 2018 and although I also had the D850 it just gathered dust. I'd gone down the Sony Mirrorless route with the A7R, A7RII and A7RIII and while I love the mirrorless concept and liked them a lot the build quality and ergonomics just weren't up to Nikon standards in my opinion. I'll say it again "in my opinion". OK. When the Z6 and Z7 were released I ditched all my Sony gear and as I could use my existing Nikon lenses it was a literally a weight off my back not carrying two sets of gear around. The Youtube influencers who claim to be impartial "reviewers" panned the Nikon Mirrorless. Don't tell me these sort of people don't get kickbacks from the opposition because you'll never convince me otherwise. In a lot of cases this lot haven't a clue how to get the best out of this new breed of camera. They're different, coming from a long line of Nikon DSLR's thru the D70, D70s, D200, D300, D3, D500, D800, D810 and D850 it did take me a while to figure out how to get what I wanted out them them, I'm still learning. There have been several really excellent firmware updates which have made them even better. One of the firmware updates added the ability to focus on Human and Animal eyes, it was so so and as I rarely photograph people I never used it, a subsequent update improved it even more. I just got a new Z6II which has double the processing power and I thought I'd try the Animal Eye Detection on my herd of cats. I know cats are not often welcome on a bird forum but mine are all out of the yard having been dumped at the farm I think, they never go out, I've had upwards of 80 cats fixed over the years to prevent them breeding and eating my birds and critters. Anyway I tried the eye detection on them and it's awesome, it just locks on to their eye. They are working on improving it to include bird eye detection which will be a great help in bird photography.

I've got over 1000 photos using Animal Eye Detect for German Shepherds and similar dogs. It's near perfect even with a profile if the eye is well defined and contrasty. If the subject has a brindle coat, it really struggles and my hit rate was near zero. Overall I'd consider it successful - but you need to have a Plan B occasionally.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back